Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sad

Anon
Anon
The son of our coach is by far the worst player on the team. Doesn't belong on the team. Belongs at least one level below where we play. Everyone knows it, kid knows it. Kids get frustrated with the player. Coaches wife knows this. I think the coach would do something about it to make it easier on his son? Nope. Just found out he is coaching again next year. Sad that any parent would put their kid through this.

Unfortunately this is all to common in hockey. The team my son plays on runs 3 lines with 2 centers and of course the coaches kid is one of the centers. The poor kid can't meet up, the seasons is almost over and most kids have improved but the coaches kid is still way behind. It's so bad the parents on opposing teams ask about it. I've never seen it so bad in hockey.

07 Saints??

Oh, geez, another "Waah!" post.

Season's over. Move to a new team. If you duster's gotten so much better, he shouldn't have any trouble making another team.

Anon
The son of our coach is by far the worst player on the team. Doesn't belong on the team. Belongs at least one level below where we play. Everyone knows it, kid knows it. Kids get frustrated with the player. Coaches wife knows this. I think the coach would do something about it to make it easier on his son? Nope. Just found out he is coaching again next year. Sad that any parent would put their kid through this.

Not sure what age level your player is at, but as already said, get used to this.

It starts early and runs all the way through U14 - and maybe even High School.

Hence the reason a large majority of some of these "coaches" offer to "volunteer" their time - to protect their little bender from the womb through high school - and at the same time tell YOU how YOU'RE player needs to improve. Like you said - sad.

If you can find a good coach, trust me, find him and stick with him as much as possible - don't worry about the record, focus on your player loving the game and developing as much as possible.

It persists through high school as well: dads who had played the game at a high level whose kids' are well below average that would hardly make JV team, get their kids on the team because of the dad's name recognition or connections. Sadly, youth hockey is a reflection of the society we live in, where "who you know" is more important than "what you know".

All you can do is deal with it and hope that the daddy coach is good enough to make your own kid improve and is fair to the team and is equally concerned with your kid's hockey development (very rare, I must say!) or move on to another program that, hopefully, has a coach that is.

Not to hijack the thread but this brings a point that might have been already discussed, do hockey genes really transfer from dad to a kid that well?

Great point. I was watching The Beanpot and was a bunch of the legacy kids they have paraded onto the Boston College team. Really? What in the world are they thinking over there?

The name recognition transfers but the 'hockey gene' or the size may not. And no one can tell me there aren't some better kids in D-3 hockey or at least on some backwater D-I team no one has ever heard of that are better! And this is just one example from a generally top ranked team!

The spots these kids take-up make hockey and even more impossible pursuit for better than average players and somehow it's O.K.

Oh yes. Saw 'The Little Super Star' and it looks like it's the end of the road. Worst defensemen on his high school team moved to prep, mistake riddled year at a prep and off to the USHL, whatever-whatever year in the midwest and off to B.C. and I tell you if the kid's name was 'Jankowitz' he might have gotten a regular shift in high school by his senior year (if he could listen to coaches rather than believing he is the second coming of Bobby Orr). LMAO.

anon
Oh yes. Saw 'The Little Super Star' and it looks like it's the end of the road. Worst defensemen on his high school team moved to prep, mistake riddled year at a prep and off to the USHL, whatever-whatever year in the midwest and off to B.C. and I tell you if the kid's name was 'Jankowitz' he might have gotten a regular shift in high school by his senior year (if he could listen to coaches rather than believing he is the second coming of Bobby Orr). LMAO.

Wait, so you're saying the end of the road is a regular shift at BC? I think most of us would take that for our kids, no matter how you got there. I'm not sure I understand the point of your post.

If being the next NHL'er in your family is the road that's been laid before you then yes, being an undersized fourth liner at BC who is there based upon your dad's accomplishments is falling a bit short.

I think what you are really saying is that he is on the team because his dad played there, and now coaches there. 100% agree. Doesn't belong.