email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my kid....is the coach's kid

Anon
Not only is it meant to teach the game, it is meant to teach life lessons !! and guess what, to the two previous posters who want to talk about "fair"..life isn't fair. The kids who work harder, pay attention, and focus on the task at hand at get ahead in life, and it starts with them getting ahead at pee wee age youth hockey.

It is not about being fair, it is about putting the kids in the best position for them to succeed and learn and learning each kids strength and weaknesses. My kids team has one of the weaker end kids on the penalty kill because he is very disciplined and tenacious, while the best player on the team is immediately taken off the ice in a shorthanded situation, just because he does not execute the penalty kill well, and the best player on that team is the coaches kid !

it will be fairly easy if you pick your team well, evaluate your talent well and coach properly. I am not saying that kids don't deserve the chance, but you have to make adjustments based on individual ability in special teams situations, rolling the lines, is nothing more than a dad with a USA Hockey Cep, who has no clue and does not know what to so, so appeases everyone with the ole' fairness cliche'.

You're such a hard a$$ and I'm just so soft. Life lessons, huh? How about you teach your own kid life lessons instead of relying on your youth hockey coach to do so.

Bear with me for a second... When you send your kid to school, do you expect that some of the kids won't get the same education as others? No, you don't. You send your kid and expect that he will be taught the same as all the rest, even though he is a knucklehead. Well guess what, youth hockey at the squirt/peewee level is instructional hockey. You can run around bragging about how great your kid's team is and how many games they win, but the kids are pre-pubescent and are playing instructional hockey.

Trust me, the kids will get life lessons when their parents can't work a back room deal to get them onto an elite team. For some that will be high school, others college or the pros. Until then, I would suggest focusing on making sure your boy knows how to play the game when the time comes and he needs to make a team on merit. And for that, a coach that teaches the game to all of his players is the way to go.

anon
Anon
Not only is it meant to teach the game, it is meant to teach life lessons !! and guess what, to the two previous posters who want to talk about "fair"..life isn't fair. The kids who work harder, pay attention, and focus on the task at hand at get ahead in life, and it starts with them getting ahead at pee wee age youth hockey.

It is not about being fair, it is about putting the kids in the best position for them to succeed and learn and learning each kids strength and weaknesses. My kids team has one of the weaker end kids on the penalty kill because he is very disciplined and tenacious, while the best player on the team is immediately taken off the ice in a shorthanded situation, just because he does not execute the penalty kill well, and the best player on that team is the coaches kid !

it will be fairly easy if you pick your team well, evaluate your talent well and coach properly. I am not saying that kids don't deserve the chance, but you have to make adjustments based on individual ability in special teams situations, rolling the lines, is nothing more than a dad with a USA Hockey Cep, who has no clue and does not know what to so, so appeases everyone with the ole' fairness cliche'.

You're such a hard a$$ and I'm just so soft. Life lessons, huh? How about you teach your own kid life lessons instead of relying on your youth hockey coach to do so.

Bear with me for a second... When you send your kid to school, do you expect that some of the kids won't get the same education as others? No, you don't. You send your kid and expect that he will be taught the same as all the rest, even though he is a knucklehead. Well guess what, youth hockey at the squirt/peewee level is instructional hockey. You can run around bragging about how great your kid's team is and how many games they win, but the kids are pre-pubescent and are playing instructional hockey.

Trust me, the kids will get life lessons when their parents can't work a back room deal to get them onto an elite team. For some that will be high school, others college or the pros. Until then, I would suggest focusing on making sure your boy knows how to play the game when the time comes and he needs to make a team on merit. And for that, a coach that teaches the game to all of his players is the way to go.

Very well said. My kid is extremely lucky to have the coach that he has.

anon
Anon

Bear with me for a second... When you send your kid to school, do you expect that some of the kids won't get the same education as others? No, you don't. You send your kid and expect that he will be taught the same as all the rest, even though he is a knucklehead.

Maybe that is what you expect from your kid, which coincidences with your youth hockey philosophy.

Me personally, I like my kid to be in the hardest classes at the better schools being taught in a way that challenges him, as opposed to being pooled with other kids and the teacher having to teach to the lowest kid.

You know, kind of like high school where all the kids are grouped by ability in the advanced placement classes.... kind of like a power play !

I could care less about hockey in a few years, I am just happy that my kid will be competing in the work force and in life against kids who think everything should be fair and you don't have to work hard to be the best that you can be. So while some kids will understand "not everyone can be on the power play" you and your offspring will still be asking "why not" because it isn't fair !

But if you had done this yourself you may have ended up with a better education which could have provided some reading comprehension and you would have found that I suggested the coach should be figuring out the kids strengths and placing them appropriately, which does not mean eliminating kids from special teams, and certainly does not mean rolling the lines.

Anon
anon
Anon

Bear with me for a second... When you send your kid to school, do you expect that some of the kids won't get the same education as others? No, you don't. You send your kid and expect that he will be taught the same as all the rest, even though he is a knucklehead.

Maybe that is what you expect from your kid, which coincidences with your youth hockey philosophy.

Me personally, I like my kid to be in the hardest classes at the better schools being taught in a way that challenges him, as opposed to being pooled with other kids and the teacher having to teach to the lowest kid.

You know, kind of like high school where all the kids are grouped by ability in the advanced placement classes.... kind of like a power play !

I could care less about hockey in a few years, I am just happy that my kid will be competing in the work force and in life against kids who think everything should be fair and you don't have to work hard to be the best that you can be. So while some kids will understand "not everyone can be on the power play" you and your offspring will still be asking "why not" because it isn't fair !

But if you had done this yourself you may have ended up with a better education which could have provided some reading comprehension and you would have found that I suggested the coach should be figuring out the kids strengths and placing them appropriately, which does not mean eliminating kids from special teams, and certainly does not mean rolling the lines.

Good post. I think we're closer in philosophy than I initially thought, after going back to read your initial post. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have replied with your post in-line, but to the community as a whole. I'm just tired of people assuming that being "fair" is necessarily a bad thing for physical and emotional development and that being fair is somehow making our kids weak. In most cases, it's possible to achieve excellence and do it using fair and equitable methods. Many coaches choose winning over the development of all 15 skaters, and I believe that is misguided...not in the best interests of the kids, families, and even most organizations. Through U12, every player should have a fair shot to learn every hockey situation and get a chance to work on each situation in a game setting.

I commend you for putting the time in to coach other people's kids and for caring enough to think through the right way to manage your team. Good luck the rest of the way. I know you guys love tryout season.

Anon
anon

You two are taking extreme positions and like most things in life the ideal path lies somewhere in the middle. The truth is a good youth coach should be teaching pp and pk to all of his skaters and finding regular opportunities throughout the season to put all of those skaters out in those situations. As the season begins to wind down and playoffs approach the skaters that have shown the most aptitude and success on the pp or pk should start to get the lions share of those opportunities. A successful team should have the flexibility to spread those minutes between multiple lines if needed.

Anon

Who says he doesn't have a power play or penalty kill? .

You are killing me ! apparently you base your "power play" and "penalty kill" on who the ref puts in the box and that is where it ends.

I am assuming you mean power "play" because he has more kids on the ice, because that is the only difference. He clearly stated that he merely rolls out the next line and if they happen to be on a man advantage then so be it, that my friend is not a power play.

So, the poster said he doesn't have a power play.

If it is merely next line up, I must ask; what are you doing on the bench ? yelling "skate", "pass", "shoot", "pressure". That is not coaching.

Anon
Anon

Who says he doesn't have a power play or penalty kill? .

You are killing me ! apparently you base your "power play" and "penalty kill" on who the ref puts in the box and that is where it ends.

I am assuming you mean power "play" because he has more kids on the ice, because that is the only difference. He clearly stated that he merely rolls out the next line and if they happen to be on a man advantage then so be it, that my friend is not a power play.

So, the poster said he doesn't have a power play.

If it is merely next line up, I must ask; what are you doing on the bench ? yelling "skate", "pass", "shoot", "pressure". That is not coaching.

How about teaching each player power play strategy so that they can all fill a role or two when the time comes and they get the call? Or are we supposed to know at age 12 which kids should be playing where on the power play?

Re: my kid....is.prx.webanonymizer.org.prx.webanonymizer.org the coach's kid

Anon
There is a lot of posts about coaches kids on this board. Double shifting, playing position of choice, always on ice last 5 minutes of game, and so on.

So I'm curious, what makes for a coach's kid to be a bender, and is mine one of them? Is he the kid the parents seem to be talking about? I'll turn to the dboard to answer it for me.

I roll 3 lines. He plays power play if his line is due up, if not, the other 2 lines go. Same for penalty kill. He gets the nod if it's his turn, otherwise, he sits with the rest of the kids. He's the first one to get yanked if he makes a stupid play or makes the same mistake over and over. I've been told I sometimes ride him too hard. (Mom hates that and let's just say the coach doesn't get any nookie on those nights)

He averages a point a game, sometimes multiple points in a game. Usually puts the puck in the net every other, or every third games, but usually always picks up at least a first assist in each game played. Have a few that only have 3 or 4 goals and same for assists on the whole year.

He's not the fastest on the team, not the slowest, roughly in the middle, or if he's loafing it, he's slightly less than dead smack in the middle. Has better than average hands and shot where others can't even make a saucer pass.

Has a good +/-, usually on the positive side of that stat every game, definitely for the year. Same as I would say half our team.

He's been asked to play for other teams from other coaches I don't know all that well.

So, please chime in dboarders. Based on the information provided, is my kid the denley duster most refer to? He is definitely not our best player so I want to know if this kid is in the pool of "coach's kids".

To be honest, this sounds good....but.....a coach coming on here saying how fair he or she is is one thing. A few parents coming on here and promoting teams and coaches that do this would be far more believable.

There are a few out there, and in all reality, the ones that are happy with the team dynamics as a whole are usually quiet about it, because they don't want the undesirables coming in.

Open House 2/26/17 TACC

MS seemed very sincere!
Would have like to hear from DH and TP, or some coaches but the master of ceremonies would not give up the microphone.
How many times did WN say me? I? or my ice? I am the biggest leaser of ice!
All about him.
It went from the only multiple sports complex in New England to Massachusetts then to the area. Well what is it?
WN then introduced the name and colors of the team. WN proceeded to put on the new uniform. The kids at our table said he(WN) looks like a dork!
MS said a few more words until WN interrupted him. Because evidently what he has to say is more important.

Re: Open House 2/26/17 TACC

aNOn.
MS seemed very sincere!
Would have like to hear from DH and TP, or some coaches but the master of ceremonies would not give up the microphone.
All about him.
It went from the only multiple sports complex in New England to Massachusetts then to the area. Well what is it?
WN then introduced the name and colors of the team. WN proceeded to put on the new uniform. The kids at our table said he(WN) looks like a dork!
MS said a few more words until WN interrupted him. Because evidently what he has to say is more important.

Not exactly sure how this open house thread fits in here..but we thought he looked like Elmer Fudd

Re: Open House 2/26/17 TACC

anon
aNOn.
MS seemed very sincere!
All about him.

Not exactly sure how this open house thread fits in here..but we thought he looked like Elmer Fudd
See post #2 in this thread about 62 IQ. That will explain the "logic" of posting the open house thought here.