Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Rules

You may want to check with the wife about that buddy. Very good chance he's not your kid.

anon
anon
anon
anon
List has been around for years. Guy saved it and is just cutting and pasting. Have a sense of humor.

And if you didn't know a "rule" and "violate" it, do whatever you want, but the kids know the "rules" too and "violators" get a good amount of grief in the locker room.

So when your kid tells you he doesn't want his shirts in a Tuxedo Bag any more, listen to him.

I don't know what locker rooms you are in but I have never heard a comment in my kid's team locker room. And there are wheelies and shirts on hangers. and sometimes parents carry the bag (and yes sometimes I do). They give each other all sort of ****, but never about stuff that some parents on here feel so strongly about they have to compile a list.

What people say and what they think are two different things. You should know that by now if you've been in this for more than a couple of years.

First year PeeWee, and yes I learned a few things since Mite Minor. No doubt. But the theory and notion that my kid will turn into I-don't-know-what because I used to carry his bag occasionally though Squirts is just ridiculous.

I'll tell you what locker room I'm in: NONE!
My kid is a squirt. Not the strongest kid on the team. But I drop him off in front of the rink. He pops open the back of the vehicle. Grabs his bag and stick. Closes the trunk and heads to the locker room to get dressed and tie his skates. That isn't a huge accomplishment. It just is what it is. And that probably comes from the fact his Coach doesn't want Parentd in the locker room. i assure you, they can do it. And they will be fine

Hey if you want to carry your kids bag occasionally do it.
If you want to help your kid with his skates do it.
Help and encourage your kid with homework and school.
Hug your kid.
Tell your kid you love him.
Teach him how to eat , exercise, and live healthy.
But, take him out for cheese burgers or pizza often with his friends.

If you do this, and your kid doesn't make it to the pros, d-1, or high school, at least you still have a great kid.

Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
List has been around for years. Guy saved it and is just cutting and pasting. Have a sense of humor.

And if you didn't know a "rule" and "violate" it, do whatever you want, but the kids know the "rules" too and "violators" get a good amount of grief in the locker room.

So when your kid tells you he doesn't want his shirts in a Tuxedo Bag any more, listen to him.

I don't know what locker rooms you are in but I have never heard a comment in my kid's team locker room. And there are wheelies and shirts on hangers. and sometimes parents carry the bag (and yes sometimes I do). They give each other all sort of ****, but never about stuff that some parents on here feel so strongly about they have to compile a list.

What people say and what they think are two different things. You should know that by now if you've been in this for more than a couple of years.

First year PeeWee, and yes I learned a few things since Mite Minor. No doubt. But the theory and notion that my kid will turn into I-don't-know-what because I used to carry his bag occasionally though Squirts is just ridiculous.

My kid is a squirt. Not the strongest kid on the team. But I drop him off in front of the rink. He pops open the back of the vehicle. Grabs his bag and stick. Closes the trunk and heads to the locker room to get dressed and tie his skates. That isn't a huge accomplishment. It just is what it is. And that probably comes from the fact his Coach doesn't want Parentd in the locker room. i assure you, they can do it. And they will be fine

Wow, your kid sounds amazing! So strong to!

Anon
anon
anon
anon
anon

I hate to break it to you but you are as average as everyone else. We all do it and I didn't say otherwise. At that age it is a natural progression. I probably hovered too much at mite minor but I was new to that whole circus. So calm down and get off your soap box.

Anon
anon
anon
Love going the a Bruins game or a Hockey East game and seeing the toolbag kiddie coaches wearing their team gear.

Like, they will catch the coaches eye and nod to each other with mutual admiration!

Rules addition:

Don't make a rules list. Shows you have way too much spare time, take this waaaaaay too seriously, and that you need to get a life outside of youth hockey. Probably reveals that you personally break 3/4 of the rules

...said the guy with the team jacket carrying his kid's stick bag into the rink...

The Rules Guy
The Gospel: Hockey Parents - "things not to do" list -

A few ‘Don’ts’ for new hockey players & parents.

Hockey parent motto: “If I can screw your kid, it will make mine better”.

--- THE RULES ---

Never get caught carrying your kids hockey bag. Never, ever, ever.

Don't carry the game jerseys on hangers. They are hockey players, not ballerinas.

Don’t put your kid’s game jerseys into a separate garment bag – it’s not a tuxedo.

Stick bags....are you kidding me?

No wearing skate guards into the rink past Mites.

No going in the locker room to tie skates after Squirts.

No wheelie bag past Peewee, help the kid grow a set.

Never let your kid skate with the extra laces tied around their ankles. Nothing says ‘bender’ like having the wrong laces.

Never let your son pull his socks over the back of his skates, for daughters it’s ok.

Socks go over the tongue of the skates - always. Unless you’re over 30 then you can go ‘old school.’

Don't sit next to the parents of the worst kid on the team at the rink. Negativity is contagious and does nothing to help you or your kid.

Don't coach your kid on the car ride to the rink or on the car ride home.

Don't bang on the glass and yell.

Don't signal to get your kid's attention away from the coach's instructions in between periods.

Don't use a stop watch in the stands to time your kid’s shifts.

Don't ask stupid questions about the game or the rules when you're in the stands.

Don't blame the refs in front of your kid no matter how awful they were.

Don't buy all the "team" extras, like hockey bags, jackets, etc., because you may not be around more than a season. There are no guarantees

Stop with the cowbell for the love of god. Hockey now is an inside sport; it’s not the Olympic Bobsled.

Don't coach from the stands.

Don't buy your 10 year old kid a $250 stick

Town teams, when you go to a tournament try to have matching sweaters & socks...otherwise you look like a group of dusty benders....oh, never mind.

After a game the only time it is OK to speak to a ref is to hand him an extra puck you’ve found at the rink or you are going to tell him he “did a good job” refing the game.

Don't show your kid that "magic" helmet video, unless he's trying out for "Glee".

Don't put those personalized white stickers on the back window of your SUV. No one cares if your bender plays hockey, sister Suzie "cheers," or Siobhán is an Irish Step Dancer.

Don't believe politics end at the high school level. They get worse.

Don't wear a "team" jacket unless you are the coach.

Don't try to discuss anything with a hockey-mom who has any clothing with her kids name on it.

Don’t ever believe a team owner, manager or coach when they tell you your kid is “all set” for next season and is on the team until the contract is signed.