email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parent Reactions

ANON
USA Hockey is a joke, the kids should be checking in squirts! Learning how to give and take a check at an early age.

I'm a big believer in this. I know they want to keep kids in the game for longer, but it seems to me you could play no check at Tier 2 (BHL, EHF Tier 1, EMHL, VHL, etc.) and let the Tier 1 players play with contact (EHF Elite, E9). Then there's a place for kids to play no check until bantam (or even extend that rule up to older ages), and a place for the more skilled players to learn real hockey at a younger age.

Re: Parent Reactions

anon
ANON
USA Hockey is a joke, the kids should be checking in squirts! Learning how to give and take a check at an early age.

I'm a big believer in this. I know they want to keep kids in the game for longer, but it seems to me you could play no check at Tier 2 (BHL, EHF Tier 1, EMHL, VHL, etc.) and let the Tier 1 players play with contact (EHF Elite, E9). Then there's a place for kids to play no check until bantam (or even extend that rule up to older ages), and a place for the more skilled players to learn real hockey at a younger age.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Kids move around yearly. Plenty of kids in tier 1 black as talented as elite and E9 kids. Plenty of kids who play town for financial or travel reasons. Fortunately the EHF allows a higher physical level of play but home on man. I have a kid who plays EHF but you sound like a hockey snob. I think they should be checking from the time they start playing (little kids give little checks. Start them early so they get used to being more physical) but it's rediculous to think the Fed and E9 should play with different rules than every other league out there. FYI, 90% of FED is going to end up in the same place as 90% of town