View Entire Thread
Re: Next season, please schedule ehf-e9 crossover games

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
reading you misspell 'ridiculous' 3 times now is hard to stomach, sweet jesus

If you can't stomach his misspelling then just imagine how you are going to feel when it finally hits you your kid isn't going to be a star

99.9% of these kids aren't going to be stars.

Sooner or later this realization comes to pretty much all of us.
I love it. Why don't you add some more nines, to make it more precise?

Of course, in virtually anything people do, about 16% will be "stars." Statistically, that's what being one standard deviation from the mean equates to.

So, it would be more precise to say that 84% of these kids aren't going to be stars.

You were probably out sick that day.

we're not talking about virtually anything we're talking about youth hockey. We need to be more clear what the definition of being a "star" is in youth hockey for this to make sense. Getting to play in college is probably it for many and your stat that 16% will be stars from the total number who play locally sounds much too high.
Of course, any two people are going to have a different definition of "star." And yes, it isn't 16% that will play in college. A kid can be considered a "star" in youth hockey and not play in HS, let alone college.

My point was, any time you see someone claim 99.999999% of youth hockey players won't play in college, they are grossly exaggerating. Yes, the odds are low. They aren't that low. If they were, none of us would know anyone that is playing or will play in college.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

If you can't stomach his misspelling then just imagine how you are going to feel when it finally hits you your kid isn't going to be a star

Of course, in virtually anything people do, about 16% will be "stars." Statistically, that's what being one standard deviation from the mean equates to.

So, it would be more precise to say that 84% of these kids aren't going to be stars.

we're not talking about virtually anything we're talking about youth hockey. We need to be more clear what the definition of being a "star" is in youth hockey for this to make sense. Getting to play in college is probably it for many and your stat that 16% will be stars from the total number who play locally sounds much too high.
97% of youth hockey players won't play D1. 90% won't play beyond high school. http://scholarshipstats.com/hockey.html
And, I've spent the last 7 years watching both E9 and EHF elite games (two kids play), with a decent sample of tournament cross-over games. Beneath the EHF super-teams, games are very competitive. Ancedotal evidence only and I'm no NHL scout so take it for what it's worth.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon

97% of youth hockey players won't play D1. 90% won't play beyond high school. http://scholarshipstats.com/hockey.html
And, I've spent the last 7 years watching both E9 and EHF elite games (two kids play), with a decent sample of tournament cross-over games. Beneath the EHF super-teams, games are very competitive. Ancedotal evidence only and I'm no NHL scout so take it for what it's worth.

You must be very proud of your son who plays in the EHF Elite, and rightfully so.

As a fed parent, I think the ehf is a great league, and coaching is superb. I honestly have seen only 3-4 E9 games, and I thought they were decent games, although, I thought the ehf games were slightly more competitive.
That being said, I am so tired of listening to other parents on my sons team obsession with the E9. Every practice and game it is 75% of every conversation.
I joke with the other parents, but I'm really serious, that after 3 years it's probably time to find a new topic other than the E9. Last week I asked one of the other mothers why the E9 teams would not play us, her answer was "we are not allowed to play them".
In disbelief, I asked our coach if that was indeed the case, and he answered "yes". I asked the coach why, his exact quote was, "we have nothing to gain by playing the E9, if we win, we're supposed to win, if we lose, they'll have bragging rights.....and they have some good teams".
If we don't want to play them that's fine, but how can every parent be so obsessed with how much better we are than the E9 , if we refuse to play them. Even if we are better, I'm sure the games will be better than playing the bottom 4-5 teams in my sons division.

Anon
As a fed parent, I think the ehf is a great league, and coaching is superb. I honestly have seen only 3-4 E9 games, and I thought they were decent games, although, I thought the ehf games were slightly more competitive.
That being said, I am so tired of listening to other parents on my sons team obsession with the E9. Every practice and game it is 75% of every conversation.
I joke with the other parents, but I'm really serious, that after 3 years it's probably time to find a new topic other than the E9. Last week I asked one of the other mothers why the E9 teams would not play us, her answer was "we are not allowed to play them".
In disbelief, I asked our coach if that was indeed the case, and he answered "yes". I asked the coach why, his exact quote was, "we have nothing to gain by playing the E9, if we win, we're supposed to win, if we lose, they'll have bragging rights.....and they have some good teams".
If we don't want to play them that's fine, but how can every parent be so obsessed with how much better we are than the E9 , if we refuse to play them. Even if we are better, I'm sure the games will be better than playing the bottom 4-5 teams in my sons division.

I have never one hear a parent our team talk, let alone obsess about playing E9 teams

Anon
Anon

I have never one hear a parent our team talk, let alone obsess about playing E9 teams
I have one in the E9 and one FED. I have never heard or had a conversation on either team about playing teams in the other league. Nobody on either team cares one tiny bit about the other league. The only place you see anyone caring about the difference between E9 and FED is on this board and I am pretty sure it is one or two people arguing with each other.

anon
Anon
Anon

I have one in the E9 and one FED. I have never heard or had a conversation on either team about playing teams in the other league. Nobody on either team cares one tiny bit about the other league. The only place you see anyone caring about the difference between E9 and FED is on this board and I am pretty sure it is one or two people arguing with each other.

Agreed. I have kids that play multiple other sports and I have never seen the obsession/competition/ one upping chase for the college scholarship I have seen in hockey. The sad reality is that my Son is a much more naturally skilled athlete than my Daughter but she has a higher chance of going on to play a sport of hers in college than he does. Why is it so hard to accept that this is supposed to be s fun "heathy competitive" game? I guarantee you my Son has no idea the difference between E9 or EHF. He plays in the EHF and has never made mention of one league being better or questioned why he doesn't play his friends who play on E9 or town for that matter. Keep telling yourself you are not the one who cares

anon

Are you saying one of your kids is adopted?

Anon
Anon

Nobody in the FED cares about the E9. The only time you even hear mention of it is when during FED tryouts there are a bunch of Assabet and VJW sweaters swirling about the ice.

A couple days later they are gone and things return to normal. I will admit year in and year out the 1 or 2 real high end E9 players make the leap to the FED (as they will again this year) and its a good move for those kids. They need to play against the best.

anon
Anon
Anon

Nobody in the FED cares about the E9. The only time you even hear mention of it is when during FED tryouts there are a bunch of Assabet and VJW sweaters swirling about the ice.

A couple days later they are gone and things return to normal. I will admit year in and year out the 1 or 2 real high end E9 players make the leap to the FED (as they will again this year) and its a good move for those kids. They need to play against the best.

You are the FED parent that makes the rest of us FED Parents look bad

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

You are an E9 parent, pretending to be a FED parent disparaging another FED parent, which is concerning on so many levels.

ANON
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

You are an E9 parent, pretending to be a FED parent disparaging another FED parent, which is concerning on so many levels.

Nope. EHF. Has only played in EHF since learn to play. Just realistic. No need boast about my kids skill, his team's skill or his leagues skill and don't understand those living vicariously through their kid who feel the need to do so

E9 is JV

Anon
E9 is JV

Agreed.