email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tryout Money Grab

anon
The fact that youth hockey is a business cannot be seriously disputed, but luring kids in to tryout for teams they have no chance of making is messed up. Try not to laugh too hard, but there is supposed to be some element of development of players mixed in somewhere. I don't feel bad for the parents who pay the money because if you do your homework you should be able to figure out where your kid might have a chance of making a team. But when my kid was younger I got fooled into bringing my kid to a tryout for a picked team, the kid was crushed (for a day), I lost some money, but was wiser for the experience.

This happens. I've seen the numbers at tryouts dwindle as my kid has gotten older. Fortunately people learn that dropping in to a tryout is a waste of time and money, so they stop donating.

Pickle Juice
I believe the OP was saying that his kid is not great however programs are desperate for try out numbers and money. My personal experience is that Express, Kings, Bandits, Boch, and any of the Lovell programs will do anything to drive revenue through tryouts. Shameless.

Here's an idea. Charge $25 per try out. If a kid has no shot at making it don't make him come back. If the team is already picked, don't have a tryout.

Yea, the Lovell's really advertise and push tryouts ?

Anon
My kid is a high-level tier 1/low level elite player. It's amazing how many emails I received from programs and coaches asking him to come to tryouts. Won't guarantee a spot but they want me to come to tryouts, it's my check!

14 separate emails from the Vipers are still one invite !

Anon
Anon
My kid is a high-level tier 1/low level elite player. It's amazing how many emails I received from programs and coaches asking him to come to tryouts. Won't guarantee a spot but they want me to come to tryouts, it's my check!

Stop thinking you're special.

Pretty sure anyone in youth hockey is getting the Viper spam.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Stop thinking you're special.

Pretty sure anyone in youth hockey is getting the Viper spam.

That's my point

If a kid is good enough and dedicated to hockey, $$ will not be the issue. We all know that some coaches and orgs would waive fees for a player of that talent. I know for a fact that a few coaches take $$ out of there own pockets to pay for kids who cant afford it. $$ is only an issue for mediocre players.