Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tryout Money Grab

anon
Anon
anon
if it were free, every kid and their sibling, would be on the ice with their bike helmets and milk crates. With a little skin in the game a parent needs to be confident his kid has a fighting chance. Also, it helps defrays costs.

and Sorry your kid is about to be cut!

How about a happy medium between the lat two posters. I would be happy if the tryout fee goes towards tuition if you are selected. Don't make it free, cover your costs and make some dough. But to pocket 50k at tryouts is a bit much, especially if they are handing you a contract after walking in the door because hey know they want you.

No problem paying, just put it towards tuition if selected, or drop it down a bit !

1 - You can't have a tryout fee off set tuition costs for a season when they are technically in two different fiscal years for budgeting a season.

2 - You have the option to attend or not attend the tryouts of your choice. Make your decisions wisely, know the landscape, is there room for your kid on the roster, did he have a good time when/if attended any practices with current team, location, etc. If they are charging more than $50-$75 per player then they are attempting to make a profit after the costs are covered. If they are charging no more than $75 I can guarantee you they are doing nothing but covering their costs. If a program is already trying to make a dollar off you before you are even a part of it, how do you think you are going to be treated once you are there? It's really a very simple problem to avoid. Don't attend any tryouts that cost more than $75 and don't send your child to more than 2 programs tryouts. They are either good enough or not. Two gives the ability to choose best option and provides a fall back in case preferred doesn't work out.

1. Says the know it all foolish bean counter who's kid never got a contract. Many orgs credit the cost of try outs on next season tuition. Mine always did. Sorry your kid got cut repeatedly. Besides you have no idea whether teams FY spans a calendar year or jul1 to jun30.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
if it were free, every kid and their sibling, would be on the ice with their bike helmets and milk crates. With a little skin in the game a parent needs to be confident his kid has a fighting chance. Also, it helps defrays costs.

and Sorry your kid is about to be cut!

How about a happy medium between the lat two posters. I would be happy if the tryout fee goes towards tuition if you are selected. Don't make it free, cover your costs and make some dough. But to pocket 50k at tryouts is a bit much, especially if they are handing you a contract after walking in the door because hey know they want you.

No problem paying, just put it towards tuition if selected, or drop it down a bit !

1 - You can't have a tryout fee off set tuition costs for a season when they are technically in two different fiscal years for budgeting a season.

2 - You have the option to attend or not attend the tryouts of your choice. Make your decisions wisely, know the landscape, is there room for your kid on the roster, did he have a good time when/if attended any practices with current team, location, etc. If they are charging more than $50-$75 per player then they are attempting to make a profit after the costs are covered. If they are charging no more than $75 I can guarantee you they are doing nothing but covering their costs. If a program is already trying to make a dollar off you before you are even a part of it, how do you think you are going to be treated once you are there? It's really a very simple problem to avoid. Don't attend any tryouts that cost more than $75 and don't send your child to more than 2 programs tryouts. They are either good enough or not. Two gives the ability to choose best option and provides a fall back in case preferred doesn't work out.

1. Says the know it all foolish bean counter who's kid never got a contract. Many orgs credit the cost of try outs on next season tuition. Mine always did. Sorry your kid got cut repeatedly. Besides you have no idea whether teams FY spans a calendar year or jul1 to jun30.

We have played for two different EHF organizations and neither one credited tryout fees towards tuition, so I'm not sure I would say many organizations do that. I'm not quite sure why everyone get so worked up about trying out fees. Most are reasonable and should be expected. However, the rest of your post was just foolish gibberish.

Is Hockey REALLY for everyone?

Is Hockey really for everyone? This is not about the political correctness issues. Yes, I do understand capitalism and the ability to own your own business. No my bender did not get cut. This is not Town vs. select or different league debates. Yes, we do play other sports.
We are blessed with a gifted hockey player and blessed with the ability to afford the cost.
Our player recently signed up for and attended some tryouts with different hockey organizations. Not naïve we know that most of these organizations have their top teams picked already. But we tried and received some contract offers. We were stunned at the costs and distances! Yes, you have to be committed. Move. That is not happening.
What happens to that kid or family who cannot travel those distances or afford the tryouts or tuitions. The response is going to be, play another sport. No, this player is talented and is passionate about hockey. Where does this kid play? We already know how much gear costs. Sure there is the old worn out gear in the bucket at the rink.
There is some but not enough learning to play or grow hockey aid. There is Town Hockey who may have financial assistance. Please, someone tell me if there are any SELECT organizations that offer financial aid or scholarships out there. If there is any I applaud them.
When you attend these Coaching seminars and they have Hockey East Coaches there speaking. When they are asked where do you recruit? It is not High Schools or local Town Hockey programs. It is Prep-School, other expensive schools or Juniors Leagues. Sure the cream may rise to the top, but the development no matter what is not affordable for many.
So again is hockey really for everyone? Is the costs of hockey killing the game for many?

Re: Is Hockey REALLY for everyone?

anon.
Is Hockey really for everyone? This is not about the political correctness issues. Yes, I do understand capitalism and the ability to own your own business. No my bender did not get cut. This is not Town vs. select or different league debates. Yes, we do play other sports.
We are blessed with a gifted hockey player and blessed with the ability to afford the cost.
Our player recently signed up for and attended some tryouts with different hockey organizations. Not naïve we know that most of these organizations have their top teams picked already. But we tried and received some contract offers. We were stunned at the costs and distances! Yes, you have to be committed. Move. That is not happening.
What happens to that kid or family who cannot travel those distances or afford the tryouts or tuitions. The response is going to be, play another sport. No, this player is talented and is passionate about hockey. Where does this kid play? We already know how much gear costs. Sure there is the old worn out gear in the bucket at the rink.
There is some but not enough learning to play or grow hockey aid. There is Town Hockey who may have financial assistance. Please, someone tell me if there are any SELECT organizations that offer financial aid or scholarships out there. If there is any I applaud them.
When you attend these Coaching seminars and they have Hockey East Coaches there speaking. When they are asked where do you recruit? It is not High Schools or local Town Hockey programs. It is Prep-School, other expensive schools or Juniors Leagues. Sure the cream may rise to the top, but the development no matter what is not affordable for many.
So again is hockey really for everyone? Is the costs of hockey killing the game for many?
Pretty loose connection to the original thread, but...

Hockey is an expensive sport. So is Equestrian. Gymnastics. Etc. That needs to be understood going in.

Hockey absolutely has avenues, benefactors, where parents of a good kid can turn for financial help at the level he is able to compete at. They have to be good kids, character-wise, and the parents have to be cooperative, easy to work with.

Same for the prep schools. Their scholarships are need-based. If your kid is good enough, and works hard enough to get good grades, he will be able to get help.

But, it isn't an entitlement.

Anon
anon.
Pretty loose connection to the original thread, but...

Hockey is an expensive sport. So is Equestrian. Gymnastics. Etc. That needs to be understood going in.

Hockey absolutely has avenues, benefactors, where parents of a good kid can turn for financial help at the level he is able to compete at. They have to be good kids, character-wise, and the parents have to be cooperative, easy to work with.

Same for the prep schools. Their scholarships are need-based. If your kid is good enough, and works hard enough to get good grades, he will be able to get help.

But, it isn't an entitlement.

I'm sure we all know people who came from humble beginnings who, because of hockey skills, were given chance to go to Elite prep schools they otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to or been able to afford that led to college scholarships to Elite colleges and then to good non-hockey careers. The sport of hockey opens doors for a lot of kids and give opportunities that the otherwise might not have.

Those are the real success stories.

Please, the OP is correct. Tryout costs $50-$100 50-60 kids on the ice. Then list prices from $3000 and up to play never mind the other swag.

Did not see too many Mini Vans off of Derby Street last week. Just new Suburban, Escalades, BMW and Yukon Denalis.

Not many that come from humble beings from Massachusetts make it or get the chance. Maybe Canada or other places, but no in the hot bed of Hockey. Ha! Ha! There is sometimes a few that may like the Hayes boys. Sure some kids may get a discount, the Coach's kid or his friend's kid. They volunteer??

Walking into that tryout it was like walking into a Nordstroms. The rink was a dump. Watched two of the Pro-Shop guys along the side of the building smoking a joint. Listened to the parents talking about going skiing last weekend. Kids around the rink were rude, fruit does not fall to far away.

Not bitter, got offered a contract. Turned it down, not the type of environment for us. 7.5 months with those type of attitudes was not happening.

anon.
Please, the OP is correct. Tryout costs $50-$100 50-60 kids on the ice. Then list prices from $3000 and up to play never mind the other swag.

Did not see too many Mini Vans off of Derby Street last week. Just new Suburban, Escalades, BMW and Yukon Denalis.

Not many that come from humble beings from Massachusetts make it or get the chance. Maybe Canada or other places, but no in the hot bed of Hockey. Ha! Ha! There is sometimes a few that may like the Hayes boys. Sure some kids may get a discount, the Coach's kid or his friend's kid. They volunteer??

Walking into that tryout it was like walking into a Nordstroms. The rink was a dump. Watched two of the Pro-Shop guys along the side of the building smoking a joint. Listened to the parents talking about going skiing last weekend. Kids around the rink were rude, fruit does not fall to far away.

Not bitter, got offered a contract. Turned it down, not the type of environment for us. 7.5 months with those type of attitudes was not happening.

I get what you're saying and all, but don't let your own insecurities ruin a good opportunity for your kid. I would suggest trying to look past those distractions and really focusing in on whether the team is good for your son. Maybe you've already done this, in which case maybe someone else reading this will think about it. It's not about how you feel at the rink, it's about how your kid feels, and whether he is getting better at hockey.

anon.

Too many thoughts in here. Bit scattered. What exactly is your point? That hockey is a rich person's game? No question. The person posing the question acknowledged that even he was among the fortunate.

That Pilgrim is a dump? Yeah, sort of is. Could be great, with some investment. But the ice is good, better than some rinks that have great amenities.

That kids hit the blunts? Is that unique to Hingham? Yeah, not exactly. Wait till your kid hits U16 and it's in your darling angel's locker room.

So, if if the point of your post is that BA is the wrong organization for your kid because the environment is a concern, I don't really know where you're going to find an organization that doesn't have moneyed people, a facility in need of some investment, AND kids working for minimum wage that don't get high.

But, if what you were trying to say is that MA hockey doesn't take care of the less fortunate kids to make the sport accessible, then you're the one hitting the pipe.

anon.

The cost of hockey can be prohibitive for some but other sports are actually moving in this direction as well. Club soccer, AAU basketball and baseball. None of it is cheap and many have figured out there is a lot of money to be made from well-to-do parents with dreams of glory for their offspring.

All the "gifted" hockey players I know are playing at a steep discount or even playing for free in some cases. Bottom line: if you're good enough, someone will make sure it's possible for you to play. If you're paying full price, well, your kid is probably not as good as you think he is.

anon
All the "gifted" hockey players I know are playing at a steep discount or even playing for free in some cases. Bottom line: if you're good enough, someone will make sure it's possible for you to play. If you're paying full price, well, your kid is probably not as good as you think he is.

Unless you're a coach - this is a crock. Not the elite level. Back up your "fake news".

anon.

Why is the end all be all about being recruited? If they a e decent and enjoy it, does that mean they don't play in the EHF because it costs more than town and they aren't going to be recruited? Why does hockey have this attitude? I don't hear BB, lax, basketball or soccer players with this attitude

The fact that youth hockey is a business cannot be seriously disputed, but luring kids in to tryout for teams they have no chance of making is messed up. Try not to laugh too hard, but there is supposed to be some element of development of players mixed in somewhere. I don't feel bad for the parents who pay the money because if you do your homework you should be able to figure out where your kid might have a chance of making a team. But when my kid was younger I got fooled into bringing my kid to a tryout for a picked team, the kid was crushed (for a day), I lost some money, but was wiser for the experience.

anon
The fact that youth hockey is a business cannot be seriously disputed, but luring kids in to tryout for teams they have no chance of making is messed up. Try not to laugh too hard, but there is supposed to be some element of development of players mixed in somewhere. I don't feel bad for the parents who pay the money because if you do your homework you should be able to figure out where your kid might have a chance of making a team. But when my kid was younger I got fooled into bringing my kid to a tryout for a picked team, the kid was crushed (for a day), I lost some money, but was wiser for the experience.

This happens. I've seen the numbers at tryouts dwindle as my kid has gotten older. Fortunately people learn that dropping in to a tryout is a waste of time and money, so they stop donating.

Pickle Juice
I believe the OP was saying that his kid is not great however programs are desperate for try out numbers and money. My personal experience is that Express, Kings, Bandits, Boch, and any of the Lovell programs will do anything to drive revenue through tryouts. Shameless.

Here's an idea. Charge $25 per try out. If a kid has no shot at making it don't make him come back. If the team is already picked, don't have a tryout.

Yea, the Lovell's really advertise and push tryouts ?

Anon
My kid is a high-level tier 1/low level elite player. It's amazing how many emails I received from programs and coaches asking him to come to tryouts. Won't guarantee a spot but they want me to come to tryouts, it's my check!

14 separate emails from the Vipers are still one invite !

Anon
Anon
My kid is a high-level tier 1/low level elite player. It's amazing how many emails I received from programs and coaches asking him to come to tryouts. Won't guarantee a spot but they want me to come to tryouts, it's my check!

Stop thinking you're special.

Pretty sure anyone in youth hockey is getting the Viper spam.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Stop thinking you're special.

Pretty sure anyone in youth hockey is getting the Viper spam.

That's my point

If a kid is good enough and dedicated to hockey, $$ will not be the issue. We all know that some coaches and orgs would waive fees for a player of that talent. I know for a fact that a few coaches take $$ out of there own pockets to pay for kids who cant afford it. $$ is only an issue for mediocre players.