View Entire Thread
Re: Specialization

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon
You can specialize to potentially give your kid a leg up and politically maneuver your kid onto every spring team, and top team out there. But remember, if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey. By 14-16 the athletes will prevail especially when they decide to focus on one sport. So for a litmus test, instead of chasing every spring / summer tourney out there - put your kid on a baseball field or on a lacrosse field or on a golf course. If he's not one of top kids in everything he does, stop chasing the dream and just enjoy the ride.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time. Get a clue.

Actually it's not. It's close to being spot on. It just doesn't fit the narrative you've created for your kid where he becomes one of 2-3% who play beyond HS.
Actually it is. I have never read or heard anywhere that "if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey." It's an asinine statement.

Lots of kids play their sports - all sports - year round, At 10, a recreational Little Leaguer is not going to be "the best" when he is on a team with kids where baseball is their main sport - who also, mind you, are probably equally athletically inclined.

No one ever said that the kid has to be the best at every sport he plays, I believe the phrase used was "one of the top kids". Nor did anyone say that he wouldn't have a future in hockey. Just not the future that most people on this board envision for their kid. But that's ok, continue to twist things to fit your narrative.

"But remember, if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey" So my 10 year old golfs but isn't the best golfer, he should just hang em up? He just got back from the Brick, put up some good points but we should call it quits because hes a bogey golfer. Hes also second line midfield on the Brine National team but he pulls his 5 iron so hes done...such a disappointment!

You're making an absurd argument to try and discredit his point. But the fact remains, the kids that have the athletic ability are the ones that will rise to the top once they are all about the same size and they all start to specialize. Until then, those kids will be near the top of every sport that they choose to play. Nobody's born a great hockey player, they are born a great athlete that chooses to focus on hockey.

We all went to school with kids who made it to d1 and beyond in a sport. In my experience, without exception, the kids growing up who played at that level were outstanding in every sport they played. And most could have switched along the way and played in college at another sport they played. The importance of pure atheticism cannot be understated. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot spend enough or skate your 9 year old enough to manufacture a high level player if he doesn't have dominant physical ability. And I'm no geneticist but I bet a tremendous amount of that ability comes from mom and dad. So looking in the mirror, I'd say my kids need to study hard and make good friends.

100% spot on. The d1 kids are dominant in every sport as kids and often times could have played another d1 sport in college but had to make a choice at some point. You can start a kid early, skate year round and manufacture a hockey player at 9-12 years old. The true elite athletes will be the d1 kids down the road once they finish growing and specialize. And there are very very few of them.

anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon
You can specialize to potentially give your kid a leg up and politically maneuver your kid onto every spring team, and top team out there. But remember, if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey. By 14-16 the athletes will prevail especially when they decide to focus on one sport. So for a litmus test, instead of chasing every spring / summer tourney out there - put your kid on a baseball field or on a lacrosse field or on a golf course. If he's not one of top kids in everything he does, stop chasing the dream and just enjoy the ride.

Actually it's not. It's close to being spot on. It just doesn't fit the narrative you've created for your kid where he becomes one of 2-3% who play beyond HS.
Actually it is. I have never read or heard anywhere that "if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey." It's an asinine statement.

Lots of kids play their sports - all sports - year round, At 10, a recreational Little Leaguer is not going to be "the best" when he is on a team with kids where baseball is their main sport - who also, mind you, are probably equally athletically inclined.

No one ever said that the kid has to be the best at every sport he plays, I believe the phrase used was "one of the top kids". Nor did anyone say that he wouldn't have a future in hockey. Just not the future that most people on this board envision for their kid. But that's ok, continue to twist things to fit your narrative.

"But remember, if your kid is 10 and he's not the best at every sport he plays - there's no future in hockey" So my 10 year old golfs but isn't the best golfer, he should just hang em up? He just got back from the Brick, put up some good points but we should call it quits because hes a bogey golfer. Hes also second line midfield on the Brine National team but he pulls his 5 iron so hes done...such a disappointment!

You're making an absurd argument to try and discredit his point. But the fact remains, the kids that have the athletic ability are the ones that will rise to the top once they are all about the same size and they all start to specialize. Until then, those kids will be near the top of every sport that they choose to play. Nobody's born a great hockey player, they are born a great athlete that chooses to focus on hockey.

100% accurate. As you go up the pyramid in any sport the constant is the athletic ability floor jumps. Go to any nhl team and every guy is a great athlete. Just watch some of these guys with the soccer circle before warm ups in the hall and most could jump into a d-3 college soccer program with no effort. Some who played growing up could probably play d-1. At an early age multiple sports helps athletic development.

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon

100% accurate. As you go up the pyramid in any sport the constant is the athletic ability floor jumps. Go to any nhl team and every guy is a great athlete. Just watch some of these guys with the soccer circle before warm ups in the hall and most could jump into a d-3 college soccer program with no effort. Some who played growing up could probably play d-1. At an early age multiple sports helps athletic development.

This is 100% accurate. I was the best at every sport I played and I made it all the way here to the dboard! Some day, your 10 y/o will be posting here.

Fact!

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
anon

Another all-time low in D Board history.

Dude, those little comma thingies up in the air are called quotation marks. They mean that whatever is in between them is a direct quote.

Both of those statements you claim "no one ever said" are exactly what was said. Which is why I called them asinine statements.

Now, can you explain how that's twisting things, even a little?

Athleticism, stature, iq, compete level, passion...100% accurate...pass the popcorn...

Re: 2017 Brick Training & Evaluation Camp

Anon
Ya ok your not interested in playing in the brick! What kind of clown gets on a message board to ask about an evaluation camp and says I'm thinking about sending my kid but your not interested in playing in the tournament?! Were you hoping that people would say your tier 1 player now that he made an EHF elite team would be a shoe in for Edmonton?? Or where you hoping that someone would bad mouth the jr bruins organization or the kids that play for the team. Everything in hockey is a money grab . When are all you idiots gonna learn that you ultimately choose to do it or not. Skills instructors shooting coaches tournaments -they all cost money it's a business folks. And yes most of the best players around do play for that 08 team. Not to say that things can change in 11 months. I read this board for pure entertainment and I'm sick of idiots that post stuff hoping to draw out other idiots to make negative comments/opinions of kids parents and organizations. Grow up

Buddy, you're about two sentences away from a heart attack. Take it easy for @!#% sake.

For the OP...at the end of the day it's $400. It's a drop in the bucket for what you're going to "invest" in your kids hockey endeavor. My kid went several years back. Looking back, it was a decent experience. It's not an open camp, you need to get a coach recommendation and be playing for a qualifying team (in the jr b's eyes) so there's a little accomplishment in just being there. When we attended, there were no scrubs. Everyone could play pretty well.

anon
Anon
Ya ok your not interested in playing in the brick! What kind of clown gets on a message board to ask about an evaluation camp and says I'm thinking about sending my kid but your not interested in playing in the tournament?! Were you hoping that people would say your tier 1 player now that he made an EHF elite team would be a shoe in for Edmonton?? Or where you hoping that someone would bad mouth the jr bruins organization or the kids that play for the team. Everything in hockey is a money grab . When are all you idiots gonna learn that you ultimately choose to do it or not. Skills instructors shooting coaches tournaments -they all cost money it's a business folks. And yes most of the best players around do play for that 08 team. Not to say that things can change in 11 months. I read this board for pure entertainment and I'm sick of idiots that post stuff hoping to draw out other idiots to make negative comments/opinions of kids parents and organizations. Grow up

Buddy, you're about two sentences away from a heart attack. Take it easy for @!#% sake.

For the OP...at the end of the day it's $400. It's a drop in the bucket for what you're going to "invest" in your kids hockey endeavor. My kid went several years back. Looking back, it was a decent experience. It's not an open camp, you need to get a coach recommendation and be playing for a qualifying team (in the jr b's eyes) so there's a little accomplishment in just being there. When we attended, there were no scrubs. Everyone could play pretty well.
And, if your kid's coach suggested it, even if he has a profit motive (you didn't indicate he does), unless it's creating a financial or logistical hardship, I would do it. You don't want to be one of "those parents" that the coach sees as being "hard of hearing."

I would take it as a good thing that he is thinking about your kid. If he didn't see potential there, he wouldn't be bothering.

anon
Anon

No kiddin', chill the f**k out, haha. Keyboard tough guy calling me a clown and an idiot because I don't know what the Brick is. I was honestly asking because I'd never heard of it and was wondering if it would be beneficial to my son. Let me know if we need to discuss it any further in person, bud.