email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 08s

Anon
Rank the 08's how they should be ranked, by who can tie their own skates !!

We ain't in Kansas anymore Pavel. No different than AAU hoops, AAU baseball, Junior PGA, gymnastics (crazytown)... you name it. Competition reigns supreme at all levels of children's athletics.

Kids are better, bigger,stronger, super skilled and more engaged than back when you were riding the pine. This is big business.

Most of the people here get it, but there are a few that don't.

Wesley Pipes
Anon

We ain't in Kansas anymore Pavel. No different than AAU hoops, AAU baseball, Junior PGA, gymnastics (crazytown)... you name it. Competition reigns supreme at all levels of children's athletics.

Kids are better, bigger,stronger, super skilled and more engaged than back when you were riding the pine. This is big business.

Do me a favor and check back in when your kid is 16. Shoot, how about when he is 13? Things change a lot in a short period of time. Just enjoy it and stop making youth sports into something it's not. The intensity that you put into it can be felt by your son, and for most kids (granted, not all) it is detrimental to their emotional well being.

Wesley Pipes
Anon

Don't even get me started with AAU baseball, that may be the only place where I see more parents and kids who think they are better than they are more than a hockey rink...there will be more dissapointed baseball players in a few years than there will be hockey players !

Anon
Wesley Pipes
Anon

Don't even get me started with AAU baseball, that may be the only place where I see more parents and kids who think they are better than they are more than a hockey rink...there will be more dissapointed baseball players in a few years than there will be hockey players !

Sure, because there are many more youth baseball players. And the thing about baseball around here is there is almost zero chance that a local kid will make a National Development Team. At least in hockey the locals get a couple each year.

Wesley Pipes
Anon

^^It's the youth sports-industrial complex and it is much different than 20 or even 10 years ago.

Anon
Wesley Pipes
Anon

^^It's the youth sports-industrial complex and it is much different than 20 or even 10 years ago.

Kids are committing to colleges at age 14-15 and prep schools at 12-13.

You still sending stamped envelopes? Your flip phone on the blink? You need to get on that google machine and get with it.

No joke, hockey is evolving right before your eyes and you are still thinking wait "None of this counts, wait till my kid hits 17-18..."

That dog don't hunt.

Tonald J. Drump
Anon
Wesley Pipes
Anon

You still sending stamped envelopes? Your flip phone on the blink? You need to get on that google machine and get with it.

No joke, hockey is evolving right before your eyes and you are still thinking wait "None of this counts, wait till my kid hits 17-18..."

That dog don't hunt.

You make a good point, but your point assumes that many or most players/families have a realistic shot of obtaining a college commitment. For the vast majority of families, youth hockey is not a path to a college commitment. But unfortunately, all players/families are forced onto the same track. If you don't think that's a problem for youth sports, then you either have a scholarship athlete on your hands or you think you have a scholarship athlete on your hands. If you are the latter (most are), then you risk ruining the experience for your son.

Tonald J. Drump
Anon
Wesley Pipes
Anon

That dog don't hunt.

What does college commitment at age 14 (which have been rendered meaningless over the last five years and will be ridiculous - or banned - by the time your kid gets there) and prep schools at 12-13 (which I don't buy unless you're talking about a kid entering 7th grade, which has no bearing on the Varsity team) have to do with your 8 year old?

A LOT will happen in the intervening years. Your "everyone does it" rationalization for your overzealous preoccupation will get in the way of your kid. You need to be SUPER careful that your kid isn't playing to please his dad. Listen to your kid, and take the pressure off.

I keep hearing "its changed"... no it has not, the beileif that kids need to specialize and be at the top of their games at 8 has only changed with the amount of people now making ridiculous amounts of money off you people.

What has not changed is the countless mite and squirt superstars who get surpassed at the 12/13 age, by kids who were good then but have gotten better or gotten serious about it.

I am not one of those parents who thought that my kid would elevate his game to a never before seen level once he it 13, in fact I was the parent telling all the mite and squirt dads to be patient because it all changes in a few short years, as I had been through it before.

I see it year in and year out, with hockey and baseball so don't act like for every budding mite superstar there is not a college or pro player who was not cut from teams at peewee age.

Everyone needs to get out of their FED/New England sports bubble and see how your kids fare against the best kids throughout the country at that age, and then get back to me after you have been through it.

just this summer I have seen kids spending countless hours on the ice perfecting edge work, speed and power, only to have the season start and they will still be lost during games because they cant grasp the game and it isn't just being able to skate better and shoot harder than the other 10 year olds... I have seen countless kids playing AAU baseball and traveling all over to realize, wow.. our team is not that good and how is a team from an hour away's number 10 hitter better than any kid on our all star team ??

The ones who have already realized it are quite or get it, the ones still talking just have not woken up yet !

Good luck gentlemen !

Anon
I keep hearing "its changed"... no it has not, the beileif that kids need to specialize and be at the top of their games at 8 has only changed with the amount of people now making ridiculous amounts of money off you people.

What has not changed is the countless mite and squirt superstars who get surpassed at the 12/13 age, by kids who were good then but have gotten better or gotten serious about it.

I am not one of those parents who thought that my kid would elevate his game to a never before seen level once he it 13, in fact I was the parent telling all the mite and squirt dads to be patient because it all changes in a few short years, as I had been through it before.

I see it year in and year out, with hockey and baseball so don't act like for every budding mite superstar there is not a college or pro player who was not cut from teams at peewee age.

Everyone needs to get out of their FED/New England sports bubble and see how your kids fare against the best kids throughout the country at that age, and then get back to me after you have been through it.

just this summer I have seen kids spending countless hours on the ice perfecting edge work, speed and power, only to have the season start and they will still be lost during games because they cant grasp the game and it isn't just being able to skate better and shoot harder than the other 10 year olds... I have seen countless kids playing AAU baseball and traveling all over to realize, wow.. our team is not that good and how is a team from an hour away's number 10 hitter better than any kid on our all star team ??

The ones who have already realized it are quite or get it, the ones still talking just have not woken up yet !

Good luck gentlemen !

So if I could piggy back onto this post (I'm not the poster)...enjoy the time with your kid and push him as hard as he wants to be pushed. Give him as much opportunity to improve as you can afford. Have fun watching the games and don't stress out about his performance. When you travel, do something memorable that he can take with him when the experience is over. Do not obsess about "exposure". Let him handle his own conflicts with teammates or coaches. Give him a chance to make friends before you switch teams again. Make friends with other hockey parents that he frequently skates with. If you do all of this and his career ends after HS, then at least you have good memories and good friends to share them with.

anon
Anon

Good luck gentlemen !

So if I could piggy back onto this post (I'm not the poster)...enjoy the time with your kid and push him as hard as he wants to be pushed. Give him as much opportunity to improve as you can afford. Have fun watching the games and don't stress out about his performance. When you travel, do something memorable that he can take with him when the experience is over. Do not obsess about "exposure". Let him handle his own conflicts with teammates or coaches. Give him a chance to make friends before you switch teams again. Make friends with other hockey parents that he frequently skates with. If you do all of this and his career ends after HS, then at least you have good memories and good friends to share them with.
Agree with your sentiment, but will quibble with the "push him as hard as he wants to be pushed" part.

YOU have to be the adult and make that determination. I've heard dads say all the time "he loves the game, I'm only letting him do what he says he wants to do" and heard the kids talking about being tired. Kids are - even by age 8 - capable of knowing what to say and do to please Mom and Dad and get extra attention/gear/$$$.

You have to decide what level of involvement makes the most sense for your kid.

Go to this thread : 05 SoCal Freezeout

First Post : So I went to California with my little Bruin and lost in the Championship game to a team that plays 90 minutes from my front door. Rethinking my life right now.

and take it all in, wow, a dad is realizing it just a few short years later, hmmm

Anon
anon
Anon

Good luck gentlemen !

Agree with your sentiment, but will quibble with the "push him as hard as he wants to be pushed" part.

YOU have to be the adult and make that determination. I've heard dads say all the time "he loves the game, I'm only letting him do what he says he wants to do" and heard the kids talking about being tired. Kids are - even by age 8 - capable of knowing what to say and do to please Mom and Dad and get extra attention/gear/$$$.

You have to decide what level of involvement makes the most sense for your kid.

You're right, I shouldn't assume everyone has the capability to make the correct read. But if you care enough to follow the rest of my advice, then decent bet you will get that part right.

Wesley Pipes
Anon

And here it is.

The ruination of youth sports summed up in one nice, tidy paragraph.

Anon
Wesley Pipes
Anon

And here it is.

The ruination of youth sports summed up in one nice, tidy paragraph.

True, it's not what it was so tip your .40 oz and poor a little into the dirt, have your eulogy and move on.

One of the posters was right. It has all changed, you may not like it but tough sh*t.

This ship isn't turning around.

anon
BJE got stronger.
The fact that you know that (or even think you do) is kinda creepy.

Anon
anon
BJE got stronger.

If you think that is creepy, don't ever go on myhockeyranking.com or for that matter don't attend your kids games. Because they actually keep scores and standings!

Wake up spas! its different now. Get on board or be left behind.

anon
Anon
anon
BJE got stronger.

If you think that is creepy, don't ever go on myhockeyranking.com or for that matter don't attend your kids games. Because they actually keep scores and standings!

Wake up spas! its different now. Get on board or be left behind.
How will any of that help you to know that a team of 8 and 9 year olds "got stronger" - in freakin' July?

Anyone that think it's a good use of one's time to track the off season signings of every Squirt team in your kid's league - or even ONE team - you need to reassess your priorities.

First off the adults on here that jump into this thread about 08's and try and impose their opinions really need help!!! Like a padded room in MCI Bridgewater. This thread was started to stir the pot in good fun like everything else on this board about a specific birth year of who would be the strong teams this year. Then it goes to it doesn't matter because things change in 3 years and the kids who struggle now will all be on the same level as the high performers now. Wrong. Thing will change yes. The gap does close as some kids progress but a majority of the high performers now will be top players in 3-5-7 years down the road. Fact! Yes the concept of training skill and performance has taken a change of course. Specialization! And it's expensive! Sucks but that's where we are and no it is never going back to the way it was. Kids don't do things on their own anymore. When is the last time you drove by a baseball field and saw a group of kids playing a sandlot game of baseball??!!! I can tell you it's been at least 20 yrs since I've seen it! To the people that are so worried about 08 parents ruining their kids that obviously failed in their attempt keep your opinions to yourself. Because if your kid did amount to anything you would be driving him to skills as we speak instead of coming on this site and giving your worthless 2 cents. And to the poster that said he can't believe that people actually know who got stronger in the off season I don't know what planet you are from or where your children played 5 years ago . But the FED is a small league 11 teams is that poster didn't know and their are no secrets. You don't pay $ 3500 dollars for your kid to play on a team without having some kind of hope or aspirations that he will go on to bigger or better things. And you can bet that they are vested and know every more that is made within the league. So maybe you should start a new topic of my kid never made it because I didn't invest enough time with him! God bless Donald Trump!

Amen brother spot on. There is FED Elite and then there is everything else.

So how does it go past Bantams? And why?

Roar! Look at my ass hair! FED Elite forever!

Clowntown
First off the adults on here that jump into this thread about 08's and try and impose their opinions really need help!!! Like a padded room in MCI Bridgewater. This thread was started to stir the pot in good fun like everything else on this board about a specific birth year of who would be the strong teams this year. Then it goes to it doesn't matter because things change in 3 years and the kids who struggle now will all be on the same level as the high performers now. Wrong. Thing will change yes. The gap does close as some kids progress but a majority of the high performers now will be top players in 3-5-7 years down the road. Fact! Yes the concept of training skill and performance has taken a change of course. Specialization! And it's expensive! Sucks but that's where we are and no it is never going back to the way it was. Kids don't do things on their own anymore. When is the last time you drove by a baseball field and saw a group of kids playing a sandlot game of baseball??!!! I can tell you it's been at least 20 yrs since I've seen it! To the people that are so worried about 08 parents ruining their kids that obviously failed in their attempt keep your opinions to yourself. Because if your kid did amount to anything you would be driving him to skills as we speak instead of coming on this site and giving your worthless 2 cents. And to the poster that said he can't believe that people actually know who got stronger in the off season I don't know what planet you are from or where your children played 5 years ago . But the FED is a small league 11 teams is that poster didn't know and their are no secrets. You don't pay $ 3500 dollars for your kid to play on a team without having some kind of hope or aspirations that he will go on to bigger or better things. And you can bet that they are vested and know every more that is made within the league. So maybe you should start a new topic of my kid never made it because I didn't invest enough time with him! God bless Donald Trump!
coincidently, I was AT skills waiting for my oldest to get changed after going up against Conor Sheary among others.

If all our kids had flamed out would we still be posting?

You can take our advice, or don't. I don't give a ****. Those posting are trying to share the lessons learned from watching the zealots of the past.

Or you can Google George Santayana and learn something today instead of thinking you know it all.

buddy you got to be kidding me! You didn't just say you have good insight to pass on because your kid went to a walk on skills hour with Conner sheary! My case and point ! Your a clown and nobody wants your terrible Insight .

Jonnie bravo
buddy you got to be kidding me! You didn't just say you have good insight to pass on because your kid went to a walk on skills hour with Conner sheary! My case and point ! Your a clown and nobody wants your terrible Insight .
You are correct, sir, I didn't say that at all. And Conor wasn't an instructor at the skills. Think real hard what else he may have been doing there. Or maybe one of your friends that hangs out at the corner glass ******** about the rotations can explain it to you.

Well now your on a first name basis with Conner -and I didn't imply that he was an instructor I was implying that your son went to a walk on skills and he was there when your son was a squirt -so you have infinite wisdom to pass on . And you sir must have played yourself for the mass bat chiefs back in the day ! Clown just go away

Jonnie bravo
Well now your on a first name basis with Conner -and I didn't imply that he was an instructor I was implying that your son went to a walk on skills and he was there when your son was a squirt -so you have infinite wisdom to pass on . And you sir must have played yourself for the mass bat chiefs back in the day ! Clown just go away
Looks like the Bud Lights are catching up to you down at the K of C. Make sure you call an Uber.

Clowntown

Go to any EHF Elite game and watch how the parents behave. Then come tell me that my opinion isn't worth $hit. You may have it all together, but there are parents all over New England that are ruining a potentially memorable experience for their kids for no reason. Something like 75% of these kids are done by age 14. That's 3/4 of hockey parents freaking out about an activity that should barely register on their kids' resume when they finish high school.

Sooner or later, your kid will push back at you. You better hope when he does that it's not to say "I've had enough". Then all of your "hope or aspiration" for his hockey career goes out the window.

I don't get your God Bless Trump comment. Was Trump as good a hockey player as he was at throwing a football or shooting free throws? I wouldn't be running around equating Trump with success these days. Or are you one of the guys who thinks he's cool because he talks tough?

1. MFF
2. CT JR Huskies
3. MMF
4. BJE (lots of talk about these guys...must have pulled in some new kids)?
5. Everyone else..

You got the MMF twice at 1and 3. Did you mean to put in CJR? The huskies are not bad when their players aren't laying on the ice crying. But they never miss a shift! Kind of running joke around the league for all you that witness it every game! And the Eagles did unfortunately did get better 😩! Flames have solid team with no super stars! It's close to call but in my opinion it's CJR and BJE at the top and everyone else! Just honest opinion and I could be wrong but I don't think so!

A running joke around the league should be "adults" making fun of crying 8 year olds. Get a life.

Anon
You got the MMF twice at 1and 3. Did you mean to put in CJR? The huskies are not bad when their players aren't laying on the ice crying. But they never miss a shift! Kind of running joke around the league for all you that witness it every game! And the Eagles did unfortunately did get better 😩! Flames have solid team with no super stars! It's close to call but in my opinion it's CJR and BJE at the top and everyone else! Just honest opinion and I could be wrong but I don't think so!

Catching up on some summer reading, people do talk about the Huskies and their 2 best players flopping all the time. Just about every game there is at least 5+ minutes of down time as each generally lays down for a while.

This is not an indictment on the kids, it is just frustration and just a phase. I have seen it happen over the years. Both kids were very good players in Mite 1 & 2. However, they are quickly being caught. They can no longer control the game like they used to. Other kids can catch them and are starting to play them much heavier. In the resulting battles for the puck there are collisions and impact. Feelings are hurt and egos are bruised. Both players will be fine and I am sure will develop well, they just need to adapt and get better.

It's talked about all the time here. The game changes, some kids develop slow and steady, others peak and then disappear. Long road ahead and some good quality hockey to be watched.

I think most people have it right. CJR/BJE, MMF

Wow! This is one of the few sensible posts I've read in awhile. Agree 100%. Game changes and real hockey starts to take over. Strong D and goaltending start to catch-up. More of a team game at the squirt level. Should be more enjoyable games to watch this year.

Anonymous
Mid-Fairfield is the top 08 team. BJE close behind #2. Flames and Huskies are #3 and #4, respectively.

SSK roster looks solid. I think they could surprise these top 4 teams this year.

Anony
Anonymous
Mid-Fairfield is the top 08 team. BJE close behind #2. Flames and Huskies are #3 and #4, respectively.

SSK roster looks solid. I think they could surprise these top 4 teams this year.

The South Shore kings got rolled by a local town team pretty bad last season. So Bad that they went and recruited a couple of the kids to come and play with them. Wouldn't expect to much out of that team.

What town team rolled the SSK last year? I'd be surprised any town team beat SSK that badly unless they were missing the players.

Curious
What town team rolled the SSK last year? I'd be surprised any town team beat SSK that badly unless they were missing the players.

It was a RI team. If you really care, look at the roster and see where the new kids are from.

Anony
Anonymous

Quick question. 08's are 8 maybe 9 years old? how can you possibly tell from looking at a roster that they look "solid"? Are there scouting reports available? I have an 06 myself and over the years you get to know the better kids, which kid stays on their current team or move teams and there are only a handful of those kids that really stick out but after that I have no clue if a team changes half its roster or not and the talent level of the incoming kids. I would never be able to tell looking at an 06 roster if it was "solid" or not. I guess I've just never paid that much attention to it. It sounds a little ridiculous to me but to each their own

Anon
Anony
Anonymous

Quick question. 08's are 8 maybe 9 years old? how can you possibly tell from looking at a roster that they look "solid"? Are there scouting reports available? I have an 06 myself and over the years you get to know the better kids, which kid stays on their current team or move teams and there are only a handful of those kids that really stick out but after that I have no clue if a team changes half its roster or not and the talent level of the incoming kids. I would never be able to tell looking at an 06 roster if it was "solid" or not. I guess I've just never paid that much attention to it. It sounds a little ridiculous to me but to each their own

It is just the kind of dad you are I guess, not that its a bad thing. Or maybe you just aren't into hockey which is cool too. But, if your kid had been playing at the same level with the same team since mites you have played teams in his league probably 30+ times including tournaments.

If by now you don't have a general knowledge of the standings, team strength and comings and goings then it is a failure on your part.

anon
Anon
Anony
Anonymous

It is just the kind of dad you are I guess, not that its a bad thing. Or maybe you just aren't into hockey which is cool too. But, if your kid had been playing at the same level with the same team since mites you have played teams in his league probably 30+ times including tournaments.

If by now you don't have a general knowledge of the standings, team strength and comings and goings then it is a failure on your part.

Bro, you are missing the point. How could anyone looking at a roster of 8 and 9 year olds know how good a kid is. I don't know the 08 kings team but I'm going to guess there are 3 or 4 new kids cuz that's usually the norm. how would any parent know the abilities of the incoming kids to proclaim that their kids' team is "solid". Like I said you recognize the better kids and if those kids change teams then people hear about it but if my son's team added 3 or 4 kids I would have no clue of their ability to say that the team is "solid". I guess I just have more important things to think about and do than to scout my son's hockey team.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anony
Anonymous

Bro, you are missing the point. How could anyone looking at a roster of 8 and 9 year olds know how good a kid is. I don't know the 08 kings team but I'm going to guess there are 3 or 4 new kids cuz that's usually the norm. how would any parent know the abilities of the incoming kids to proclaim that their kids' team is "solid". Like I said you recognize the better kids and if those kids change teams then people hear about it but if my son's team added 3 or 4 kids I would have no clue of their ability to say that the team is "solid". I guess I just have more important things to think about and do than to scout my son's hockey team.

These people that know that some squirt minor EHF team is "solid" are hanging around rinks talking about this stuff constantly. It's not unusual to know most if not all of the kids playing in your kid's division, especially if you are at all the games, playing in spring/summer tournaments with families from other teams, and pay attention to the names. It's kind of what makes hockey unique, there is a relatively small universe of kids in a single birth year that compete and train together consistently. In time, you'll come to know many of the kids from out of the area as well.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anony
Anonymous

These people that know that some squirt minor EHF team is "solid" are hanging around rinks talking about this stuff constantly. It's not unusual to know most if not all of the kids playing in your kid's division, especially if you are at all the games, playing in spring/summer tournaments with families from other teams, and pay attention to the names. It's kind of what makes hockey unique, there is a relatively small universe of kids in a single birth year that compete and train together consistently. In time, you'll come to know many of the kids from out of the area as well.
In my experience it's the rare parent standing at the glass that can judge talent, even a little. This exercise in assessing Squirt teams based on player movement is for parents that wish there were a Youth Hockey Sports Talk Radio show they could call into.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anony
Anonymous

In my experience it's the rare parent standing at the glass that can judge talent, even a little. This exercise in assessing Squirt teams based on player movement is for parents that wish there were a Youth Hockey Sports Talk Radio show they could call into.

"The're ruining my summah!!!"

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anony
Anonymous

Can we get back to the OP's question?

1. BJE

2a. CJR
2b. MMF

3. Huskies

4a. Kings
4b. Islanders

5. Everyone else

100. Last = Top Gun

I have CJR in the #1 spot until proven otherwise.

1. CJR
2. BJE
3. MMF
4. Huskies
5a. Kings
5b. Islanders

6. Everyone else

Then there is Top Gun. Top Gun is the reason relegation should exists in certain sports.

Loading up teams doesn't always work, esp at the 9 year old level. I think there will be some upsets.

Just wait until they play tag up offsides, take slap shots, check each other and play against kids from different birth years. Whole new world.

Anon
Just wait until they play tag up offsides, take slap shots, check each other and play against kids from different birth years. Whole new world.

All this ^ foolishness aside.

Eagles are loaded up, not sure who can knock them off.

Ct. Jr. Rangers are very strong
MMF a distant 3rd
Huskies
Kings/Islanders
The rest

anon
Anon

All this ^ foolishness aside.

Eagles are loaded up, not sure who can knock them off.

Ct. Jr. Rangers are very strong
MMF a distant 3rd
Huskies
Kings/Islanders
The rest

By all means keep bragging about the tallest midget at a midget convention.

Enlightening! Thank you!

08 Advantage Elite team gave a whooping to the 08 Terriers Elite last year.

Not sure your point of pointing out the #1 team in E9 beating one of the lower tier teams in the EHF last year. Boston Advantage would be an average team in the EHF this coming season.

I love a good EHF-E9 debate. You are right about the Boston Advantage at 08 level. they are good but not that strong compared to the top EHF teams. The 07 Boston Advantage would compete with the top EHF teams.

Anon
BJE
Mid-Fairfield
MMF
Huskies
SSK
IHC
Bandits
Breakers
BJT
Caps