email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best non-daddy coach programs.

Anon
Any programs that embrace this philosophy?

Good luck with that golden unicorn. Daddy's aren't fools at the club level. Usually they have played HS/Prep/college/some pro. So they have a decent knowledge of the game. those credentials alone get them hired, but that is really it. Having a knowledge of the game doesn't guarantee you can coach, interact with kids and parents or even develop kids for that matter.

The majority of the Daddy's just want to coach their own kids. Everyone else on the roster is an afterthought. They put lines together in their kids best interest, they grab their kids shirt every PP or PK, they dictate ice time in their kids favor as well. The cherry on top is their kids play for free.

It is an amazing racket where for FREE, their children get 2x or 3x the ice time over the course of a season than the paying customer. Think that over.... who would pay for that if it was on the contract? But that's what you are getting.

There isn't one daddy coach who would dispute this. These are facts.

Sincerely,
a Daddy Coach

anon
Anon

Good luck with that golden unicorn. Daddy's aren't fools at the club level. Usually they have played HS/Prep/college/some pro. So they have a decent knowledge of the game. those credentials alone get them hired, but that is really it. Having a knowledge of the game doesn't guarantee you can coach, interact with kids and parents or even develop kids for that matter.

The majority of the Daddy's just want to coach their own kids. Everyone else on the roster is an afterthought. They put lines together in their kids best interest, they grab their kids shirt every PP or PK, they dictate ice time in their kids favor as well. The cherry on top is their kids play for free.

It is an amazing racket where for FREE, their children get 2x or 3x the ice time over the course of a season than the paying customer. Think that over.... who would pay for that if it was on the contract? But that's what you are getting.

Sincerely,
a Daddy Coach

It doesn't seem so sinister until you see it all on paper.

Anon
anon
Anon

Sincerely,
a Daddy Coach

at least he is honest about it!!

Not all daddy coaches are the same and not all programs are the same. My kid doesn't get extra ice. I coach all of them equally. I spend alot of time talking to my asst coaches about how things are going- what is working, not working, who is improving, who needs a kick in the butt. I spend a lot of time talking to other coaches that I know asking how the dealt with issues at my kids age level (parents in locker room, skate tying, discipline). I talk to coaches at the same level and have placed kids we have cut with other teams and accepted kids from "elite" teams. Yes- I played in college and know the game as well as the next coach. Every day is a challenge and ALOT more time is devoted to making these kids youth hockey experience great than just opening a door and throwing pucks on the ice 2 or 3 nights a week.

While mom and dad are sipping their morning coffee and in the lobby we are working and hoping that maybe.. one day... we will get a call saying "thanks Coach- I'm gonna pay in college"

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

Sincerely,
a Daddy Coach

You can tell by the silence this post caused that there are a LOT of Daddies on this board. Reading that post was like watching magic tricks revealed on youtube. Kinda don't want to know but am fascinated by it. Daddies are basically training their kids for a career in hockey on your dime.

Ask yourself this question. When was the last time in a game that your daddy coach needed a player in crunch time and reached over his kid (who is stapled to his thigh at the bench door) and grabbed your kid's sweater. Lolol. Never.

truther
Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

Sincerely,
a Daddy Coach

You can tell by the silence this post caused that there are a LOT of Daddies on this board. Reading that post was like watching magic tricks revealed on youtube. Kinda don't want to know but am fascinated by it. Daddies are basically training their kids for a career in hockey on your dime.

Ask yourself this question. When was the last time in a game that your daddy coach needed a player in crunch time and reached over his kid (who is stapled to his thigh at the bench door) and grabbed your kid's sweater. Lolol. Never.

100% spot on but we have grown accustomed to dealing with the Daddy Coach, you expect it, it's part of youth sports culture whether it's town baseball or club hockey. What you really have to watch out for is that guy in a track suit who suddenly shows up at the first game on the bench. Where'd he come from, the "assistant coach". You know, the one whose kid has always played forward and now is giving defense a try because the HC's son plays offense. Don't want to step on any toes. Has there ever been an instance where the "assistant" coach's son plays the same position as HC's? And assistant coaches are like cockroaches, where there is one, there is many more to follow. Eventually this is what blows up the team.

Therefore, do your work and find a team without a daddy coach...

we have been with a coach for 4 years. we have never seen any of this daddy non-sense.

I'd take a lot of daddy coaches over the clueless parents who coach their kids in the car and from the stands - without any understanding of what team hockey is.

Anon
I'd take a lot of daddy coaches over the clueless parents who coach their kids in the car and from the stands - without any understanding of what team hockey is.

Thanks dad! Give it up. There's always silver u chump. U might be good but suck in protecting your bender kid.

Before the game - ok, Johnny when you get the puck just skate it because your linemate won't give it back to you. I'll give you $10 for every goal. You need to skate your hardest every shift, and stop coming off the ice so early. Keep looking at me up in stands in case I need to tell you something. Post game - Why did you pass it, when you had a shot? You played horrible today! You played great, but you line mates didn't. How come the coach doesn't put you with so and so. And on and on it goes.

I know one non-daddy coach to stay far away from...new guy at Giants last year RL..total pr$ck...no teaching, all yelling...berates the kids...zero relationship with them....doesn't even talk with them...

Ask any player what coach had the biggest impact on them and they will tell you the ones that pushed them, taught them, and made them feel like they were worth something....

This guy doesn't get it....

Anon
I know one non-daddy coach to stay far away from...new guy at Giants last year RL..total pr$ck...no teaching, all yelling...berates the kids...zero relationship with them....doesn't even talk with them...

Ask any player what coach had the biggest impact on them and they will tell you the ones that pushed them, taught them, and made them feel like they were worth something....

This guy doesn't get it....

What age?

If it's the guy I think he's talking about u14 and u16...I think he is also coaching u15's this year. Wackadoo....also involved with Whalers summer teams...highly intense...one of Lovell's cronies....

Anon
If it's the guy I think he's talking about u14 and u16...I think he is also coaching u15's this year. Wackadoo....also involved with Whalers summer teams...highly intense...one of Lovell's cronies....
That's him. Same act for 6+ years. Several instances of his showing up for summer games still drunk. Now I hear he's actually holding himself out as an "Advisor." Stay away.

anon
Anon
That's him. Same act for 6+ years. Several instances of his showing up for summer games still drunk. Now I hear he's actually holding himself out as an "Advisor." Stay away.

Check out Generals NAHL website. He is their head of scouting

Anon
anon
Anon

I can't believe I'm saying this, but he may actually be good at that. He was primarily responsible for assembling the really strong Whalers teams a few years back. I've seen him in action, he is pretty good at blowing smoke up parents' tailpipes.

Plus he can offer to buy beer for the players.

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon

I can't believe I'm saying this, but he may actually be good at that. He was primarily responsible for assembling the really strong Whalers teams a few years back. I've seen him in action, he is pretty good at blowing smoke up parents' tailpipes.

Plus he can offer to buy beer for the players.

Blowing smoke is one thing but not sure how that translates to identifying talent.

No opinion either way but that program needs to turn it around soon.

His hockey background consists of him playing 1 period at Umass Boston his freshman year and being shelled for 9 goals...left school after that. Love HockeyDB.com!

Anon
His hockey background consists of him playing 1 period at Umass Boston his freshman year and being shelled for 9 goals...left school after that. Love HockeyDB.com!

Just looked it up. In fairness it was one period, 3 goals. Not really a good sample size. Not sure what happened after that.

Takes his anger about his failed career out in the kids

Anon
Before the game - ok, Johnny when you get the puck just skate it because your linemate won't give it back to you. I'll give you $10 for every goal. You need to skate your hardest every shift, and stop coming off the ice so early. Keep looking at me up in stands in case I need to tell you something. Post game - Why did you pass it, when you had a shot? You played horrible today! You played great, but you line mates didn't. How come the coach doesn't put you with so and so. And on and on it goes.

I hope this guy ^^ is not a coach...holy moly.

anon
Anon

I hope this guy ^^ is not a coach...holy moly.

Lot of them nutso's out there. FED league littered with them. Stick to basketball and following Lavar Ball around. Safer, and your kid less inclined to get hurt by being cut from a FED Silver team and thrown back onto a Valley League Town C team.