Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Extra ice before season

Anon
Anon
Have you asked him his advice? It's a long season.. is extra ice really necessary? Some parents aren't happy about extra costs of tournaments when the league schedule is challenging enough. Maybe you should ask before you assume he doesn't care. There may be a reason for the way he is handling things other than he doesn't care.

Every kid above Mites and above Town C needs to skate before the season. If the first time a kid puts his skates on since tryouts is the first practice, the parents are doing their kid a disservice. If he isn't ready to go at the start of the season, he will not play to his capabilities, will get less ice time, will get frustrated, and probably will enjoy the game less.

Why would a parent pay $3,000 for hockey and not have him do anything in the summer to be ready?

Because some reasonable parents (and coaches) would argue that it really doesn't take more than a few weeks to get back into hockey shape, parents don't have an endless supply of money, time and money could be better spent on family vacations and/or other sports or activities so you have a more well rounded child. Some parents think 9 months of hockey a year is enough, because kids and parents have other commitments. Sounds like you need to find a coach who is more intense to meet your needs. Personally, I think extra practices and tournaments add stress on my family's schedule with little to no added benefit with regard to skill and/or wins and losses during the regular season.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Have you asked him his advice? It's a long season.. is extra ice really necessary? Some parents aren't happy about extra costs of tournaments when the league schedule is challenging enough. Maybe you should ask before you assume he doesn't care. There may be a reason for the way he is handling things other than he doesn't care.

Every kid above Mites and above Town C needs to skate before the season. If the first time a kid puts his skates on since tryouts is the first practice, the parents are doing their kid a disservice. If he isn't ready to go at the start of the season, he will not play to his capabilities, will get less ice time, will get frustrated, and probably will enjoy the game less.

Why would a parent pay $3,000 for hockey and not have him do anything in the summer to be ready?

Because some reasonable parents (and coaches) would argue that it really doesn't take more than a few weeks to get back into hockey shape, parents don't have an endless supply of money, time and money could be better spent on family vacations and/or other sports or activities so you have a more well rounded child. Some parents think 9 months of hockey a year is enough, because kids and parents have other commitments. Sounds like you need to find a coach who is more intense to meet your needs. Personally, I think extra practices and tournaments add stress on my family's schedule with little to no added benefit with regard to skill and/or wins and losses during the regular season.

I agree - one or maybe 2 tournaments a year is more than enough. Good to let kids experience it, but way overkill to attend 3 or 4.

"Did I stutter? All I said is he should skate. Something more than zero. Every parent can decide what that means for their kid and their family."

That's not really all you said. And the 1 inch comment is hysterical.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Did I stutter? All I said is he should skate. Something more than zero. Every parent can decide what that means for their kid and their family.

Skating is an unnatural motion. If you don't practice you regress. Also, if he grew at least l" in the last 6 months he needs to learn how to control his new body. Everything changes biomechanically. It has nothing to do with being in "hockey shape."

And, please, quit crying the blues about money. Show me your cable bill, your cell phone bill, and then tell me me you don't have $50 to put your kid on skates in advance of his $3,000 season. Going to a couple of public skates will do just fine.

Like so many parents, you just don't like it when someone points out the obvious.

Ha ha.. so you think people should cancel their cable before having an issue with extra hockey costs? Take your own kid to public skate if you think it's so important instead of ripping on the coach for not organizing extra ice. And by the way... it's not always an issue of not having the money, it could be an issue of choosing to spend the money on something else, like cable, or a tutor, or private education or retirement. Some people have to make those choices, it sounds like you don't. Good for you. And quite frankly, my time is more important that money at this point. I'd rather not bring my son to an extra practice just so idiots like you think the coach is going the extra mile. Regular practice times should be enough. Find a shooting clinic or skating clinic or camp to spend your money on and leave the rest of the team out of it. Not sure why you need the coaches input for that, it sounds like you have it all figured out.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Did I stutter? All I said is he should skate. Something more than zero. Every parent can decide what that means for their kid and their family.

Skating is an unnatural motion. If you don't practice you regress. Also, if he grew at least l" in the last 6 months he needs to learn how to control his new body. Everything changes biomechanically. It has nothing to do with being in "hockey shape."

And, please, quit crying the blues about money. Show me your cable bill, your cell phone bill, and then tell me me you don't have $50 to put your kid on skates in advance of his $3,000 season. Going to a couple of public skates will do just fine.

Like so many parents, you just don't like it when someone points out the obvious.

^^^The Hockey Science Guy

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

this is why I love the DBoard...

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

this is why I love the DBoard...
This is why my kid passes by so many kids with parents that have absolutely no clue how athletic training and development works every summer.

Keep up the good work Moms and Dads! You're making it easier for my kid every day!

To the OP, I'm sure you knew before 9/4 your kid wasn't skating over the summer so what is the point in bringing it up now? If the agreement you signed back in April didn't spell out a preseason camp, etc., why did you sign it if you thought it so important? If you thought coach run practices were important in the summer, why didn't you ask the coach about it when he begged for your child to join his team? Hopefully you are getting my point. Now if you were promised all these things and didn't get them that's a different story but assuming you weren't, it's really on you.

Do your due diligence before you commit next time so that your expectations are aligned with the coaches/organizations realities. The best part of our current hockey landscape is their are lots of choices available to us parents that should allow us to find the right fit for our future GOAT's.

anon
To the OP, I'm sure you knew before 9/4 your kid wasn't skating over the summer so what is the point in bringing it up now? If the agreement you signed back in April didn't spell out a preseason camp, etc., why did you sign it if you thought it so important? If you thought coach run practices were important in the summer, why didn't you ask the coach about it when he begged for your child to join his team? Hopefully you are getting my point. Now if you were promised all these things and didn't get them that's a different story but assuming you weren't, it's really on you.

Do your due diligence before you commit next time so that your expectations are aligned with the coaches/organizations realities. The best part of our current hockey landscape is their are lots of choices available to us parents that should allow us to find the right fit for our future GOAT's.

Not really getting this argument at all.

Most kids choose to skate outside their organization or at least separate from their team. PV, Dynamic and five or six quality skills organizations work with the majority of the kids in the summer.

If you choose to skate one day or seven days a week, who cares. To each there own but to say you picked the wrong organization is way, way off based and pretty goofy

Sorry your kid didn't get any summer ice time

Anon
Sorry your kid didn't get any summer ice time

Actually played in five tournaments (would have been more if he didn't get hurt) - his choice and skated 2-4 a week. Had fun, worked hard and still had time to be a kid.

I encourage him to put the time in and work hard but it is his choice. None of it has anything to do with his winter program. Strong program but plenty of options outside of it for summer hockey and training.

The best programs for development seem to be in areas where development is priority over games. Sweden, Finland, perhaps Canada to a certain extent. Here the closest thing as a whole is Minnesota.

Encourage your kids, enjoy the journey.