email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2008's

anon
Man, I feel like there's some alternate hockey universe my 9 year old kid isn’t in. He plays on decent team, good kids, good coach. It's not EHF elite, but its competitive. I’m new to the youth hockey world so forgive my naiveté. But people moving to a new state/city, for a 9 year to play hockey just seems dumb on many levels. These super Elite teams stacked with elite 8 and 9 year olds… where are these kids getting discovered? who is paying that close attention to find these kids and compel their families to move for a 9 year olds potential? I’ve read on this board countless times: the team, the league don’t matter. It’s coaching and development. What happens when the kid that moved to play on the Brick team, is 14 and everyone finds out he ain’t that good? Parents must be devastated.
No one is "paying attention" besides the parents. A quick look at a roster (if you can find one) will show you that it's all EHF elite kids, not because that's where the best players are located (although many are) but because hockey and especially the EHF are insular worlds that feed each other. The elite tournament teams, Brick and Q teams aren't necessarily the best combination of talent, just teams assembled from very good and 1 or 2 great players with parents willing to work the system and get to know the right people (the people in charge of the EHF or who work for EHF organizations who put together most of these teams, or funnel players to the right places). Or, very likely, the kid has a parent who is somehow involved in hockey. And yes, some parents may actually move to the area to play on one of these teams (or more likely, they're moving to the area anyway but know of these teams - see paths above). That's the sum total of it. On top of that, if your kid is good enough, it is PROBABLE that he'll be found, but don't count on it. If he's very good, if you don't have the right connections, you'll have to start working the system yourself. To your last point, by the time they're 14 or so, most of these kids have shown that they're not going to be playing beyond high school, and the superstars move on to their own path that has nothing to do with the EHF, the E9 or any other youth league.

It never seems to shock me how many people can hop on here and judge what another family chooses to do with their family. I have no skin in this game other than my kid will be playing this team 4 times this year. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone on here has all of the information to properly assess what this family is doing (could be moving for work opportunities...I mean Boston is becoming the east coast's silicon valley). It could be a single child home, where the parents are just looking to provide the best opportunities they can. They could have family in the area already that they are trying to get close to. Who knows? We are very fortunate to live where we live, where regardless of the sport our kids choose to play, it's very easy to find competitive leagues. it's not the same everywhere else. "To each, their own." I hope everything works out them, and the Eagles are great...it makes it that much sweeter when my son's team beats them. Too much logical reasoning for the dboard on a Friday?

ANON
It never seems to shock me how many people can hop on here and judge what another family chooses to do with their family. I have no skin in this game other than my kid will be playing this team 4 times this year. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone on here has all of the information to properly assess what this family is doing (could be moving for work opportunities...I mean Boston is becoming the east coast's silicon valley). It could be a single child home, where the parents are just looking to provide the best opportunities they can. They could have family in the area already that they are trying to get close to. Who knows? We are very fortunate to live where we live, where regardless of the sport our kids choose to play, it's very easy to find competitive leagues. it's not the same everywhere else. "To each, their own." I hope everything works out them, and the Eagles are great...it makes it that much sweeter when my son's team beats them. Too much logical reasoning for the dboard on a Friday?
Who's judging, and who cares what someone else does? It's all a free flow of information to help other people, who are interested enough to be reading this board, make choices.

Anon
They most certainly did. They moved to new play for BJE and the Junior Bruins (brick year). To each his own
There is no chance that is true.

Kid lived in CJR territory.

I heard a few of NY Jr. Bruins players are moving to Boston. Is the CJR that bad? It's the same level of competition. I don't understand why these kids just don't play in CT?

I'm pretty sure CJR Brick team was better than Jr Bruins this past season and will be next season as well.

Aaaaaa
I heard a few of NY Jr. Bruins players are moving to Boston. Is the CJR that bad? It's the same level of competition. I don't understand why these kids just don't play in CT?

CJR had a lot of talent last year. Arguably very talented this year too, although the player that just moved to play on the Eagles is a very talented 08' and would have really helped the CJR Brick Team.

anon
Aaaaaa

CJR had a lot of talent last year. Arguably very talented this year too, although the player that just moved to play on the Eagles is a very talented 08' and would have really helped the CJR Brick Team.

Not to get lost in this is also the goalie who's family relocated to Boston now playing for Eagles and Brick Team.
Eagles are going to be a juggernaut.

At least 3-4 of the best 08 Junior Bruins players are from CJR territory and play reg season somewhere besides MFF.

So what happens after the Brick? Do they relocate the family back to wherever? There is more to life than 9 year old hockey. I sense there are other factors.

Chase the Q you silly rabbit

08 Jr Bruins team.. is that the same thing as the 08 Jr Bruins Brick team? Or different? 08 Jr Bruins lost 20-0 to someone a few weeks ago in the Warrior tournament. Went 0-4. I hope that isn't the Brick team.

I believe that is the Greater Boston Junior Bruins. That is a totally different organization.

I believe it. That kid moved to the Boston area for the Brick. I heard the other kid is too. That's not a coincidence. It's a small hockey world. Whack jobs.

Gotta love the people who think the Brick is the end all be all. It's a really cool hockey tournament especially for people who don't worry about dropping several grand. Nothing more. It's not an opportunity. For a 9 year old? How many 9 year olds can even spell opportunity? People who think its anything more than that have taken too many pucks off the brain pan.

Anon
08 Jr Bruins team.. is that the same thing as the 08 Jr Bruins Brick team? Or different? 08 Jr Bruins lost 20-0 to someone a few weeks ago in the Warrior tournament. Went 0-4. I hope that isn't the Brick team.

That's the Jr. Bruins regular season team. Different than the Jr. Bruins summer team with the Brick charter for New England (except Connecticut) and parts of Canada.