email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Money on hockey or education

Anon
OP here. Bender has always played "Elite"(joke). Also playing in the super series this weekend. I just see kids/parents on his team that think this is the window to the world. Couldn't be further from the truth. Education is more important people

Sports are fun for kids and will teach them a lot about life. If you are a good enough athlete you can use it as a vehicle. Encourage your child to put the time in with the books. Athletics can open many doors that would not be opened otherwise.

I am sure most if not all the hockey players at ivy league schools are bright students but what percentage would get in if it were not for hockey (or other sports)??? It would be vast minority. It will certainly help at all d1 and most d3 schools. We see this every day.

I could not agree more but I have looked all over the place for a site where people make fun of the dumb kids in the class but I can't find one. They need an EBoard (Education)so I can laugh during conference calls at people pointing out kids that are in remedial classes and then start comparing school districts.... keep in mind the average education level of the Dboard regular is likely 11th grade.

ANON
I could not agree more but I have looked all over the place for a site where people make fun of the dumb kids in the class but I can't find one. They need an EBoard (Education)so I can laugh during conference calls at people pointing out kids that are in remedial classes and then start comparing school districts.... keep in mind the average education level of the Dboard regular is likely 11th grade.

If the average is education level is 11th grade, which group of parents bring down the average?

This is easy. Here is my top three for middle school education.

Top Gun
Lovell knights
Seacoast

Or as the old sign outside of the pro shop says:

'Hockey is important; education is importanter'

Anon
How many kids are barely squeezing by at a low level public schools struggling with basic math and reading?? And you pay for private lessons for hockey and or have them miss school for a preseason tournament. Come on people!
How many people spend money on cell phones and iPads for every member of the household over the age of 8 and premium cable services instead of tutors? Heck, instead of balanced nutrition?

I haven't run across many hockey families at all that neglect their kids' education. I suppose there are some, but I wouldn't say it's rampant, by any means.

Oh, and BTW, missing school on an occasional Friday isn't going to make a whiff of a difference in the long run.

Anon
Anon
How many kids are barely squeezing by at a low level public schools struggling with basic math and reading?? And you pay for private lessons for hockey and or have them miss school for a preseason tournament. Come on people!
How many people spend money on cell phones and iPads for every member of the household over the age of 8 and premium cable services instead of tutors? Heck, instead of balanced nutrition?

I haven't run across many hockey families at all that neglect their kids' education. I suppose there are some, but I wouldn't say it's rampant, by any means.

Oh, and BTW, missing school on an occasional Friday isn't going to make a whiff of a difference in the long run.

I think youth and sports, like most things needs perspective and balance.

We as a society have "jumped the shark" in regards to a lot of things. Youth sports is a prime example.

Prep school education or leave early for juniors? If Harvard says it is time to move on now and you have been accepted, how do you say no. Goal is to get a great education, right? However, Senior year, friend's, teammates, lifelong memories, family , etc. Kid from Dexter was able to make that choice but then again his circumstances are pretty unique ( feeder program, familiar, nhl pick, unique family situation.

Point being, we need to slow down. Dream Big! Work hard, enjoy it. No rush. Keep climbing the pyramid.

Anon
I haven't run across many hockey families at all that neglect their kids' education. I suppose there are some...
the point was do you spend as much on an education tutor as you do on 'extra ice'? OR how many parents chose a school because they offer a scholarship (instead of choosing the school that best fits their child's major or preferences) OR how can a child commit to a college before deciding what they want to do (major).

beatcuff
Anon
I haven't run across many hockey families at all that neglect their kids' education. I suppose there are some...
the point was do you spend as much on an education tutor as you do on 'extra ice'? OR how many parents chose a school because they offer a scholarship (instead of choosing the school that best fits their child's major or preferences) OR how can a child commit to a college before deciding what they want to do (major).
Thank you for explaining the point. I thought it was stated pretty clearly by the OP, but what do I know? I only have an 11th grade education.

I always say school is more important than hockey. But today's hockey game is more important than today's school day.