Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How and when?

A Non
Anon
A Non
Anon
How and when did your kid tell you they had enough with youth hockey. I have an older boy who told me in the driveway after first year Bantam. We were shooting pucks and he just brought it up that he didn't want to play next year.
Let's hear it

Neither of them have yet, but if they did, I would want to know why. I would want to know if it was because of a negative experience they had with a coach or another player or a fear of some kind- being cut or not being good enough for high school... I would want to know if it's something transitory or fundamental. Is it because there's other interests or sports they would rather focus on (which would be fine). Either way I would want to know their rationale. I know at 13 if you had dedicated nearly half your life in most cases to this game it could seem more like an obligation or family business than something recreational and fun.

No chance it could be because of you dad ?

0% chance. The moment he says he doesn't want to play, he wont' play.
That wasn't what he asked. It wasn't about dads keeping their kids in the sport after they say they don't want to be any more - which does happen, too. It was about the way dads approach kids' playing. It may not be applicable to you, but lots of dads put so much pressure and bring so much negativity to the process that it isn't fun. So, they quit the sport because of Dad.

Get it now?

Thanks for the clarification and epxlaiantion for him !

But I really appreciate his response driving my point home !

I was referring to his post that of all the reasons he mentioned he never mentioned or even imagined it could be because of him.

The response is priceless, the zero % comment just shows me that after reading my post you still could not even fathom that I was referring to the fact that it could be because of you he decides to quit !

Take the blinders off, because if you cannot even realize that was what I was referring to, the odds are that he already has given you several indications he does not want to play as much as you believe !

Anon
How and when did your kid tell you they had enough with youth hockey. I have an older boy who told me in the driveway after first year Bantam. We were shooting pucks and he just brought it up that he didn't want to play next year.
Let's hear it

They didnt. My kids fought through the first checking year and came back because they were not wimps who quit because it got tough. So i have no idea what you are talking about.

Hardo alert.....

The hockey season is 30 weeks long. Your kids team is skating 3 nights a week. Now add in the 40 games, give or take, that Jr's team is playing during the course of the season. That's 130 car rides to and 130 car rides from the rink per kid, per season. (You folks that go all in on the summer teams and tournaments can do your own math.) If you don't know when your kid is nearing the end of his or her hockey road, then you've obviously had a lot of missed spent car rides.

You better not let him quit or he's gonna have someone's **** in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson.

Anon
The hockey season is 30 weeks long. Your kids team is skating 3 nights a week. Now add in the 40 games, give or take, that Jr's team is playing during the course of the season. That's 130 car rides to and 130 car rides from the rink per kid, per season. (You folks that go all in on the summer teams and tournaments can do your own math.) If you don't know when your kid is nearing the end of his or her hockey road, then you've obviously had a lot of missed spent car rides.

I work at a college as a janitor. Usually, I feel like I'm smarter than most people that go there. Sometimes, I see an equation written on a board...like 1/2 an equation and I'll just ...figure it out.

Will H
Anon

I work at a college as a janitor. Usually, I feel like I'm smarter than most people that go there. Sometimes, I see an equation written on a board...like 1/2 an equation and I'll just ...figure it out.

Do you like apples?