Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Teams with 2 Goalies

Anon
Anon
Anon
Goalie dad here. Have seen it all. Great position but creates a lot of stress for the goalies and goalie parents ( Yes, I know it is not about us, it's about the kid). Goalie partners and parents (Present company included) can be thin skinned. Your intentions could be honorable but perhaps it was the timing or the delivery. Best way to handle this going forward, film portions of the practices, games, goalie sessions. When both goalies are present share film with the dad. Let him decide what to do with it.

Your players are at an age when talent, dedication, determination are starting to take over. Players and families start dropping out for a variety of reasons. Your son may view being critiqued as an opportunity to fix things and get better whereas another goalie may see it as a reminder that he is falling behind and failing. It seems obvious that this stressed them both out. Goalie was in net for 8 goals. Obviously, he and dad were talking about this after the game and searching for answers.

Tell your kid to always be a great goalie partner. Look at Marc Andre Fleury the last two playoffs! Amazing team first attitude. Thats why he is so beloved by all!

Every goalie gets lit up and development is not always straight up. The Dboard crowd is made up of a vast majority of position player parents who may GET IT but have never lived it. Best for goalie people to stick together and help each other.

Jesus, are you serious? The "BEST" way in your meddlesome brain is to film another kid's play and hand it to the dad? How about getting your nose out of the guys butt crack and let him decide how he wants to raise his child?

BTW, the reason MAF is with Vegas is that he demanded a trade after getting yanked for the second straight year. He even informed the team that he would waive his no trade to get out. Just because he didn't sit on the bench and pout doesn't mean he had a "team first attitude."

MAF was, is and will likely always be a great teammate. It was a win, win for both team and player to get him out of there. Pay him $6+million a year to play 15-20 games?? A demand was not necessary and even if it was, he handled it CLASSY. You may want to look that word up. Fleury knew he was going to Vegas before LAST season began. It was obvious to everybody.

Putting a go pro up to film BOTH goalies does not take much effort and it would be a great way to offer the olive branch. Is that so bad? Not telling him to raise the other guys kid! How about offering a less intrusive tool for the dad and player to assess themselves. How about build some rapport. How about, hey we get it.

Because this kid and his dad handled the situation differently then I or my son may have does not mean we don't understand where the MISUNDERSTANDING came from. In my world buddy we look for solutions to problems and offer different perspectives. Playing goalie is unique. Those who have played it or have kids who have played it understand this. Does not mean we all agree on how to handle it.

How you may have took this as being meddlesome or suggesting HOW HE RAISES HIS KID??? What are talking about?

I'm sure you have a legitimate reason for being so angry.

I'm not sure why you would see my post as angry. You might want to spend some time exploring your own feelings. You seem a bit out of touch.

I am a coach so reading this is comical as I have to deal with it most years. The only thing crazier and more helicopter like then a hockey parent is a parent of a hockey player that is a goalie! It’s never their fault and for some reason whether it’s the player or the parent they feel they are the patriarchs of the team.

Your kid is good on some days and bad on others, just like any other player. They are not special. They are just another player on the team. They don’t need that special bond. What they need to do is realize they have a job to do and stay focused and do it. Every team dynamic is different and that is not to say one is better than another. If the kid is not interested in listening to your little All-Star tell him to shut his pie hole and focus on his own GAA.

Thanks for validating for the 1000th time that goalie parents are complete wackos.

Anon
I am a coach so reading this is comical as I have to deal with it most years. The only thing crazier and more helicopter like then a hockey parent is a parent of a hockey player that is a goalie! It’s never their fault and for some reason whether it’s the player or the parent they feel they are the patriarchs of the team.

Your kid is good on some days and bad on others, just like any other player. They are not special. They are just another player on the team. They don’t need that special bond. What they need to do is realize they have a job to do and stay focused and do it. Every team dynamic is different and that is not to say one is better than another. If the kid is not interested in listening to your little All-Star tell him to shut his pie hole and focus on his own GAA.

Thanks for validating for the 1000th time that goalie parents are complete wackos.
Spot on.

Hey, be as wacko as you want about your kid. Just have some self-awareness about it! Recognize that you're over-the-top crazy, and don't attack others when they point out that you should MYOB.

Which is exactly what all of these goalie parents responding should do. Worry about your own kid.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Goalie dad here. Have seen it all. Great position but creates a lot of stress for the goalies and goalie parents ( Yes, I know it is not about us, it's about the kid). Goalie partners and parents (Present company included) can be thin skinned. Your intentions could be honorable but perhaps it was the timing or the delivery. Best way to handle this going forward, film portions of the practices, games, goalie sessions. When both goalies are present share film with the dad. Let him decide what to do with it.

Your players are at an age when talent, dedication, determination are starting to take over. Players and families start dropping out for a variety of reasons. Your son may view being critiqued as an opportunity to fix things and get better whereas another goalie may see it as a reminder that he is falling behind and failing. It seems obvious that this stressed them both out. Goalie was in net for 8 goals. Obviously, he and dad were talking about this after the game and searching for answers.

Tell your kid to always be a great goalie partner. Look at Marc Andre Fleury the last two playoffs! Amazing team first attitude. Thats why he is so beloved by all!

Every goalie gets lit up and development is not always straight up. The Dboard crowd is made up of a vast majority of position player parents who may GET IT but have never lived it. Best for goalie people to stick together and help each other.

Jesus, are you serious? The "BEST" way in your meddlesome brain is to film another kid's play and hand it to the dad? How about getting your nose out of the guys butt crack and let him decide how he wants to raise his child?

BTW, the reason MAF is with Vegas is that he demanded a trade after getting yanked for the second straight year. He even informed the team that he would waive his no trade to get out. Just because he didn't sit on the bench and pout doesn't mean he had a "team first attitude."

MAF was, is and will likely always be a great teammate. It was a win, win for both team and player to get him out of there. Pay him $6+million a year to play 15-20 games?? A demand was not necessary and even if it was, he handled it CLASSY. You may want to look that word up. Fleury knew he was going to Vegas before LAST season began. It was obvious to everybody.

Putting a go pro up to film BOTH goalies does not take much effort and it would be a great way to offer the olive branch. Is that so bad? Not telling him to raise the other guys kid! How about offering a less intrusive tool for the dad and player to assess themselves. How about build some rapport. How about, hey we get it.

Because this kid and his dad handled the situation differently then I or my son may have does not mean we don't understand where the MISUNDERSTANDING came from. In my world buddy we look for solutions to problems and offer different perspectives. Playing goalie is unique. Those who have played it or have kids who have played it understand this. Does not mean we all agree on how to handle it.

How you may have took this as being meddlesome or suggesting HOW HE RAISES HIS KID??? What are talking about?

I'm sure you have a legitimate reason for being so angry.

of course he is angry. His Kid Got Cut!

You don't need 2 goalies until Pee Wee Minor. Let the goalies develop. It nice to see 2 goalies at practice but that's it.

Anon
Anon
Tell your kid to mind his own business and you do the same.
Seriously. Stop being so involved! Let the kids work it out for themselves. If your know-it-all kid wants to keep pointing out other kids' mistakes even when he is told to MYOB, then he will suffer his own fate in the locker room.

Seriously. Go away. The kid is trying to help his teammate. Maybe tell the other parent to have the kid stand up for himself. The world would be better off if losers like you stayed in the basement and if kids like this, who is trying to help, would be more appreciated.

Anon
Tell your kid to mind his own business and you do the same.

Go away Loser. find a 2008 topic to beat your chest on please.

Anonymous
My kid is one of two goalies on a pee-wee minor team. In between periods in games that my kid isn't playing, he talks to his co-goalie and attempts to tell him the good things he is doing and to tell him if he is leaving his five-hole open, or if he his dropping his glove. My son's co-goalie is new to the team (he was on an elite team last year and "dropped down" to Tier 1) and my son did the same thing for the past two seasons with his old teammate. My son expects the same when he is playing. The new kid, however, doesn't give my kid any feedback. After a game where we lost 8-3 with the new kid in goal the new kid's father asked me to have my son stop "critiquing" his kid in-between periods (his kid gave up 3 goals in the first period, so not sure if my son started his "critique" during warm-ups, or not). I have spoken to the coaches, who think there is nothing wrong with what my son is doing. Is it me, or is this new kid's dad being difficult? I honestly don't know how other teams with two goalies handle this situation.

A. The eagles are lucky to be in the Black
B. Common sense dictates (or apparently not in this situation) that if the goalie ot any other player is uncomfortable with the "feedback" then it should cease with no questions asked. It clearly bothered the kid enough to have him bring it up to his dad.
C. Your little Patrick Roy won't play in the NHL

sounds to me like the kid crying to his dad is afraid of losing his status as "the goalie" of the team. Better to see how the team reacts to whoever is in net. It's a tell sign if kids on the bench are shaking their heads at the goalie that is giving up poor goals as opposed to the goalie on the bench who is trying to help his buddy, yet the rest of the team would rather play in front of him instead of the crybaby goalie. It's peewwees, time to be accountable! Dad can't cover for you anymore, kid!

Anonymous
My kid is one of two goalies on a pee-wee minor team. In between periods in games that my kid isn't playing, he talks to his co-goalie and attempts to tell him the good things he is doing and to tell him if he is leaving his five-hole open, or if he his dropping his glove. My son's co-goalie is new to the team (he was on an elite team last year and "dropped down" to Tier 1) and my son did the same thing for the past two seasons with his old teammate. My son expects the same when he is playing. The new kid, however, doesn't give my kid any feedback. After a game where we lost 8-3 with the new kid in goal the new kid's father asked me to have my son stop "critiquing" his kid in-between periods (his kid gave up 3 goals in the first period, so not sure if my son started his "critique" during warm-ups, or not). I have spoken to the coaches, who think there is nothing wrong with what my son is doing. Is it me, or is this new kid's dad being difficult? I honestly don't know how other teams with two goalies handle this situation.

I have a goalie myself and it sounds like your son was being a good teammate. The other goalie and dad are being difficult but you should respect their wishes.It's possible the team he came from he was the only goalie. You can't make someone be a good teammate. I'm going to guess that the other goalie and dad didn't "drop down" on their own terms and they could still be sensitive to the fact that they are not at the elite level anymore.

This is something that the 2 boys should have discussed at the biginning of the year. If both agreed on it then it would have been appropriate. If the other kid never "coached" your kid then maybe your kid should have taken the hint. Regardless, discussing the position with each other is not a bad idea. 90% of teams have no goalie coach or a coach that has a clue about goaltending (most will admit as much). I have always encouraged the kids to "talk" to each other about the position. What they find success in doing, maybe notice something the kid is doing different and why, etc. It is not appropriate to criticize every goal the kid gave up and what he should have done differently. That is not being a good teammate to your partner. Never discuss this stuff during the game. I want my goalies concentrating on the next shot and not what they could have done on the last one. After the game is appropriate

All that being said, almost every goalie has a goalie coach or instructor they go to. Let those instructors do what they are being paid to do and coach the goalies. Talking to each other about goaltending is not a problem and can be constructive. Coaching or criticizing each other can and will be.

PS: lose the go pro

tell your kid to zip it. Period. Would drive my kid nuts to listen to that all game.

Oh man, this is gold ! We need more goalie parents on here asap !

The most clueless person in any hockey arena at any given time is the goalie parent who never played hockey !

Shouldn't what your Son is doing really be the coaches job? Are forwards and defense evaluating other lines when they are out there? I don't think so....