email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Icing the PK

Anon
Have we determined if this rule change has helped the youth game. Not an easy adjustment for them starting the season.
Kids adjusted by the ,middle of the second period. Not as much as a big deal as people thought. I personally like it, teaches the kid to break the puck out instead of trying to throwing down the ice. Personally I like it.

I don't think it was intended to benefit youth hockey. I think it is a preview of a future change at all levels. It's been discussed for some time - why should the penalized team be allowed to do something they can't do at even strength, and the team on the PP can't do, either.

The part I like the most is watching the kids have to think about how to handle the puck. They are learning to be creative while not turning it over, and learning how to get it off the boards and out with the proper so angle so as to not ice the puck.

Anon
Anon
Have we determined if this rule change has helped the youth game. Not an easy adjustment for them starting the season.
Kids adjusted by the ,middle of the second period. Not as much as a big deal as people thought. I personally like it, teaches the kid to break the puck out instead of trying to throwing down the ice. Personally I like it.
It's better for the game and the player. People who haven't realized this are obtuse.

What does obtuse mean? are you smart or something?

no penalty if you ice it. just keep icing it.
very interesting that most of the refs don't know the rule. don't call it

While I don't have as much a problem with the rule as I thought I would, I have seen a side-effect that no one seems to talk about. The team on the power play dumps it in more now than they did before. Because they know the shorthanded team can't ice the puck, and that they have a numerical advantage on the forecheck, teams are playing dump and chase hockey on the PP more than trying to execute a proper zone entry. So, while the rule is encouraging skills enhancement for the short handed team, its in equal measure discouraging skills enhancement for the team on the PP. It seems to be a wash for me. If I were a coach, I would teach my kids that unless they have an easy zone entry available, just dump and chase on the PP.

That's a great point, the only issue remaining for me on this is why not ice it and take the whistle? At the youth hockey level you are allowed a player change and get some fresh legs on the ice when needed, this limits the player advantage for the pp team.

no penalty if you ice it. just keep icing it.
very interesting that most of the refs don't know the rule. don't call it
They know the rule, they just waive it off as it hit some mystery stick on the way down because they want to get the game over. Between crazy parents screaming at them, psycho coaches on the bench, entitled brats on the ice, and the rink management trying to keep to a schedule, it's hard to blame them.