Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting to the next level

@ the next level making the team in HS, College, Juniors etc.
Based on team needs being the same is it better to be an above average Dman or above average Fwd

Re: Getting to the next level

Interesting question.

I will assume an "above average" F is putting points up. That's quantifiable, and therefore easier to gain notice.

But, there are fewer "above average" D so pool is smaller. The numbers work in your favor.

Problem is, what is that "above average" D "above average" in? Hard for a shut down D to gain notice.

I tell my kid that one goal or one knock-down at the blue line is worth 20 solid defensive plays. Proper gap control doesn't stand out enough.

I agree that it is much easier for an above average forward to get noticed and everyone that does not know hockey loves the offensive D-man. This is why the uneducated fan is in love with Tory Krug.

I would also agree that the shut down D might not stand out to someone who does not know the game.

However, an above average shutdown D-man stands out to any coach at the next level.

It is pretty obvious when a kid controls the play defensively and is constantly in control of the game from the defensive side of things. Those kids are few and far between and tend to get snatched up pretty quickly by any coach who has half an eye for the game.

Hmmmmmm
I agree that it is much easier for an above average forward to get noticed and everyone that does not know hockey loves the offensive D-man. This is why the uneducated fan is in love with Tory Krug.

I would also agree that the shut down D might not stand out to someone who does not know the game.

However, an above average shutdown D-man stands out to any coach at the next level.

It is pretty obvious when a kid controls the play defensively and is constantly in control of the game from the defensive side of things. Those kids are few and far between and tend to get snatched up pretty quickly by any coach who has half an eye for the game.
Here here(holds up chalice)

Interesting points isnt the game moving toward the offesnsive D men like Krug?

TK
Yes, but it's evolving again as 6'+ D men develop their skating and offensive games, starting g at the younger ages. Given a choice between Torey Krug and Charlie McAvoy, who do you want?

There's still a place for the Will Butchers but only if a team can limit their minutes.

TK
again, the uneducated might say that the game is moving towards the offensive D-man.

However, I would argue that the real move is to begin getting all of the D-men more involved in the offense.

This goes for both the offensive D-man and all other Dmen. and let's be honest with ourselves and all agree that even a shutdown D-man who wants to get to the next level has to be able to handle the puck and occasionally get into the play. The difference is that the shutdown guy might not be out there toe-dragging someone to create offense for themselves, but they are more than capable of joining the rush, making breakout/transition passes, and shooting the puck.

Plus, they are the ones who ALSO are stopping the top players on the other team.

Yep just like the kid who never backchecks and gets all the accolades for scoring a goal. Most D men only get noticed when the get beat

Anon
@ the next level making the team in HS, College, Juniors etc.
Based on team needs being the same is it better to be an above average Dman or above average Fwd

It is better to be an above averaged sized kid with above average all around talent and athleticism that can tell his coach I can play where you need me coach and then actually do them sufficiently. Which is why you see plenty of forwards become D in college or even pro

Mic Drop