Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Spring hockey leagues

The regular season is going that bad?

If you are not one step ahead you are two steps behind. If your kid is playing for a good coach who cares about development then he should have spring and summer/preseason lined up now. What do you think you book a tournament the week before?

Next post will be *grunt* He should be playing another sport in the spring. *grunt*

Greg Carter runs a Spring League out of Concord, along with weekly skills. Pretty low key, serves its purpose.

Anon
If you are not one step ahead you are two steps behind. If your kid is playing for a good coach who cares about development then he should have spring and summer/preseason lined up now. What do you think you book a tournament the week before?
if one step ahead means for you lining up a spring league then good luck. there is - break , skill development, conditioning and maybe a tournament. your kid plays 40+ games a season, leave it be, don't drink the cool aid take a look at the bigger picture.

And yes there are other sports, every coach worth something will tell you that playing multiple sports as long as possible will make your kid the better athlete and as a result the better hockey player.

my kid is already playing on two teams plus tournaments.

April will be time for lax/baseball and some outdoor time. Unless you kid is an absolute stud there's no reason to turn this into a twelve-month sport.

VHL, Carter, I believe the Edge Sports Center has something, New England Future Stars, I'm guessing something out of Marlboro as well, in other words, you have a number of choices.

Spring tournament teams are a money grab. Anyone who has been through it as a parent and can look back objectively can see that. $150-$200 per player to enter a tournament where the fee is $1000? Where is all the money going? Ice time? Uniforms? HA. Maybe it's going to the coach? Yeah, that guy who wasn't qualified or capable enough to coach the team in-season?

Better yet, sign him up for the programs that take him to Europe! But first, follow the $$$. Seriously, he'll develop more and learn more if you take a family vacation to Europe, spend half of the difference on some in-season fitness training at Boyle (or another place) and bank the remaining coin rather than lining the pockets of these people and programs....

Anon
I know the Valley league has one. Is there any other leagues around??
Yeah. They are called baseball, soccer and lacrosse

Anon
Anon
Haha, guy right before this post nailed it!

Anon
Anon
Why not these sports *and* hockey?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Why not these sports *and* hockey?
There's a contingent of people here that insist kids will "burn out" if they play the sport year round. Maybe some kids will. Maybe it's riskier the younger they are, if the parent is pushing them too hard.

Every kid is different. Do what's right for your kid, and help the next guy do what he thinks is right for his.