The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Free advice for New Year

Here is some free advice that will undoubtedly help lots of folks as we start the new year. It may even be worth making some of these a New Years Resolution

If your child plays pee wee or higher and....

You drop him off at the door of the rink. Stop it

You carry his bag or carry his sticks while he wheels his bag in. Stop it

He comes to the lobby where you tie his skates. Stop it

You tape his sticks for him in the lobby before games. Stop it

You are not helping your child at all, you are supposed to be preparing them for high school hockey and make them self sufficient.

For the sake of your children's future stop doing this stuff for them, if they then are unable or unwilling to do any of the above then that is a great indicator and at that point ask them if they don't want to play hockey anymore.

BECAUSE if your child is older than ten and doesn't tie his own skates, carry his own bag (not wheel) or tape his own stick then he doesn't really want to play hockey as bad as you think !

Pathetic !

Happy New Year.

Re: Free advice for New Year

Anon
Here is some free advice that will undoubtedly help lots of folks as we start the new year. It may even be worth making some of these a New Years Resolution

If your child plays pee wee or higher and....

You drop him off at the door of the rink. Stop it

You carry his bag or carry his sticks while he wheels his bag in. Stop it

He comes to the lobby where you tie his skates. Stop it

You tape his sticks for him in the lobby before games. Stop it

You are not helping your child at all, you are supposed to be preparing them for high school hockey and make them self sufficient.

For the sake of your children's future stop doing this stuff for them, if they then are unable or unwilling to do any of the above then that is a great indicator and at that point ask them if they don't want to play hockey anymore.

BECAUSE if your child is older than ten and doesn't tie his own skates, carry his own bag (not wheel) or tape his own stick then he doesn't really want to play hockey as bad as you think !

Pathetic !

Happy New Year.
^^^Needs to get layed.

Starts off silly, but there's a lot of truth in here. If your guy doesn't have his own routine by now, you should wonder how much hockey means to him.

I would vote that dropping him off at the door but but not getting out of the car is OK. Why park if I'm just going to spend a couple hours somewhere else?

Anon
Starts off silly, but there's a lot of truth in here. If your guy doesn't have his own routine by now, you should wonder how much hockey means to him.

I would vote that dropping him off at the door but but not getting out of the car is OK. Why park if I'm just going to spend a couple hours somewhere else?
Doesn't the high school team bus drop off at the door? Or college? Or the Show? That seems like efficiency.

OP is the kind of guy who parks around the block even at Marlboro and makes his kid walk the last quarter mile to the rink carrying his bag that secretly had a kettle bell thrown into it all the while throwing cans of green beans at him to hurry up.

A Non
Anon
Starts off silly, but there\'s a lot of truth in here. If your guy doesn\'t have his own routine by now, you should wonder how much hockey means to him.

I would vote that dropping him off at the door but but not getting out of the car is OK. Why park if I\'m just going to spend a couple hours somewhere else?
Doesn't the high school team bus drop off at the door? Or college? Or the Show? That seems like efficiency.

OP is the kind of guy who parks around the block even at Marlboro and makes his kid walk the last quarter mile to the rink carrying his bag that secretly had a kettle bell thrown into it all the while throwing cans of green beans at him to hurry up.
50 bucks you tie your kids skates !

I did all that stupid stuff with my first kid. This one is a squirt and I will tie his skates and carry that bag on game day until he tells me to stop. People enjoy the ride. It goes by fast.
Trust me at 14 your kid will tie his own skates and carry his own bag. You are not making your 9 year old a tough guy by watching him struggle carrying his bag into the rink.

Anon
I did all that stupid stuff with my first kid. This one is a squirt and I will tie his skates and carry that bag on game day until he tells me to stop. People enjoy the ride. It goes by fast.
Trust me at 14 your kid will tie his own skates and carry his own bag. You are not making your 9 year old a tough guy by watching him struggle carrying his bag into the rink.
At 14 he will read and do math, too, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't learn how when he's 6.

Let's go the other way on this. At 14 he isn't going to resent you because you made him carry his own bag when he was 9.

Tying skates is completely different. Absolutely NOT beyond Mites.

Anon
A Non
Anon
Starts off silly, but there\\\'s a lot of truth in here. If your guy doesn\\\'t have his own routine by now, you should wonder how much hockey means to him.

I would vote that dropping him off at the door but but not getting out of the car is OK. Why park if I\\\'m just going to spend a couple hours somewhere else?
Doesn\'t the high school team bus drop off at the door? Or college? Or the Show? That seems like efficiency.

50 bucks you tie your kids skates !
He's 6, so yeah I do.

Get a life. Enjoy your kids a little

Anon
Get a life. Enjoy your kids a little
I really enjoy my kid being self sufficient. Quite liberating. You should try it instead of trying to be overly involved in his youth sports. It’s a kids game. Not yours bud !

I'll never understand why people get so worked up about parents helping their kids. Seems to me, to be more of a self esteem issue on your part.

You should always help your kid. But, you are not helping him by doing stuff for him that he is or should be capable of doing.

In the grand scheme of things is it a big deal that he cant tie his skates at 12 years old, no. The bigger issue is developing someone that is reliant on others and they know that instead of working hard towards a goal, they cant just say they can't do it and someone will do it for them.

I never understood why people think it is ok to be so reliant on others ding things for you. Don't you see the ramifications of this with the millennials ?

But I digress. What most don't understand is that the issue is much bigger than you make it seem with "helping". The issue is that I can guarantee that the kids not tying their skates, not carrying their bags or doing anything for themselves are not your top players, that is not a coincidence. I could hold an eval and pick a team without ever stepping on the ice by just watching the kids walk into the rink and get ready. That is a fact, and something lots of coaches will acknowledge. They don't want the kid who cant tie his skates or carry his bag, these kids don't deal with adversity well.

Anon
You should always help your kid. But, you are not helping him by doing stuff for him that he is or should be capable of doing.

In the grand scheme of things is it a big deal that he cant tie his skates at 12 years old, no. The bigger issue is developing someone that is reliant on others and they know that instead of working hard towards a goal, they cant just say they can't do it and someone will do it for them.

I never understood why people think it is ok to be so reliant on others ding things for you. Don't you see the ramifications of this with the millennials ?

But I digress. What most don't understand is that the issue is much bigger than you make it seem with "helping". The issue is that I can guarantee that the kids not tying their skates, not carrying their bags or doing anything for themselves are not your top players, that is not a coincidence. I could hold an eval and pick a team without ever stepping on the ice by just watching the kids walk into the rink and get ready. That is a fact, and something lots of coaches will acknowledge. They don't want the kid who cant tie his skates or carry his bag, these kids don't deal with adversity well.
Agree with this post. Maybe if I add a slightly different twist it will become more clear to the nay-sayers. I think starting at bantam that kids should be emailing or texting the coach directly if they are going to miss something, show up late, or want to talk about a team issue. Of course, I help him out with his approach so that he learns the appropriate tone and social norms for such a message, but he is left to handle himself with follow up or in-person discussion.

The sole purpose of youth sports is to further the development of your child into a responsible and successful adult. My example and examples from the prior poster are all part of this development process. IMO, this is the type of "helping" that a parent should do. To think that simply doing things for your kid is helping is an oversimplification and misunderstanding of the parent/child relationship.

anon
Anon

In the grand scheme of things is it a big deal that he cant tie his skates at 12 years old, no. The bigger issue is developing someone that is reliant on others and they know that instead of working hard towards a goal, they cant just say they can\'t do it and someone will do it for them.

I never understood why people think it is ok to be so reliant on others ding things for you. Don\'t you see the ramifications of this with the millennials ?

But I digress. What most don\'t understand is that the issue is much bigger than you make it seem with \"helping\". The issue is that I can guarantee that the kids not tying their skates, not carrying their bags or doing anything for themselves are not your top players, that is not a coincidence. I could hold an eval and pick a team without ever stepping on the ice by just watching the kids walk into the rink and get ready. That is a fact, and something lots of coaches will acknowledge. They don\'t want the kid who cant tie his skates or carry his bag, these kids don\'t deal with adversity well.
Agree with this post. Maybe if I add a slightly different twist it will become more clear to the nay-sayers. I think starting at bantam that kids should be emailing or texting the coach directly if they are going to miss something, show up late, or want to talk about a team issue. Of course, I help him out with his approach so that he learns the appropriate tone and social norms for such a message, but he is left to handle himself with follow up or in-person discussion.

The sole purpose of youth sports is to further the development of your child into a responsible and successful adult. My example and examples from the prior poster are all part of this development process. IMO, this is the type of "helping" that a parent should do. To think that simply doing things for your kid is helping is an oversimplification and misunderstanding of the parent/child relationship.
Your post is completely, dead-on accurate. I'd add that, having a kid just graduate from high school, I can tell you from painful experience that your approach is in the serious minority.