The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hockey Sticks

Does anyone know of a place in New England that you can get custom fitted for a hockey stick?
I’m talking about a legit place, not a JV player working at Pure Hockey .

Re: Hockey Sticks

Zeal on North Main St in Providence. A little pricey but they make custom sticks with custom paint jobs.

Anon
Does anyone know of a place in New England that you can get custom fitted for a hockey stick?
Base - look on website. Call the local rep.

Curious - why would your kid need a custom stick?

If just cosmetic, have you considered a stick wrap? You can design them yourself on line.

He said 'fitted' not "stickers". There are many kids using the wrong setup... Starting with the length.

Anon
I think he is looking for a shot doctor type deal. Someone to ensure his kid has right flex. Kick point. Curve.

At least that is my hope and not looking for a custom colored stick but a stick that is properly fitted to him.

More parents should take this approach ! Bravo sir !

Anon
Anon
I think he is looking for a shot doctor type deal. Someone to ensure his kid has right flex. Kick point. Curve.

At least that is my hope and not looking for a custom colored stick but a stick that is properly fitted to him.

This is the Youth Hockey Board. You seem to have it confused with the NHL Board.

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain't Ovi, I promise you.

That’s a legit question. I’d say 70% of kids are playing with the wrong stick / wrong length / flex / curve by peewee and maybe 50% by midgets. Coaches - high school & prep & some college often don’t have a clue. Someone who knows a little something might be able to make some change fitting equipment. Much of it is preference but my experience has been too many defensemen play with a stick which has too high of a flex and too much curve and too many forwards play with a stick that’s too long.

Anon
That’s a legit question. I’d say 70% of kids are playing with the wrong stick / wrong length / flex / curve by peewee and maybe 50% by midgets. Coaches - high school & prep & some college often don’t have a clue. Someone who knows a little something might be able to make some change fitting equipment. Much of it is preference but my experience has been too many defensemen play with a stick which has too high of a flex and too much curve and too many forwards play with a stick that’s too long.
the question is NOT legit, but your response is. too many buy a stick for the name OF the stick (Bauer Vapor xxx) v the name ON the stick (Crosby). at this level there are enough variations that you can find one that is 'close enough'. instead of buying a $200+ stick, buy two different $80 sticks, or better BORROW them, then let junior decide. as for the height/length, seriously, its called a saw.

Waste not want not
Anon
the question is NOT legit, but your response is. too many buy a stick for the name OF the stick (Bauer Vapor xxx) v the name ON the stick (Crosby). at this level there are enough variations that you can find one that is 'close enough'. instead of buying a $200+ stick, buy two different $80 sticks, or better BORROW them, then let junior decide. as for the height/length, seriously, its called a saw.
Exactly. You don't need a "custom" stick for a kid.

Length is easy. Nose without skates, chin with. He can start to decide if he wants a longer stick as a defenseman when he starts sprouting hairs.

Flex is easy. Half body weight, err on the side of being less than that. Understand that cutting it makes it stiffer.

Curve? That's more having it be consistent with what he's used to. It's actually the lie that is more important.

Kick point? Don't be ridiculous. Totally marketing. Start worrying about that when he's on his way to the USNTDP. Where was the kick point on Bobby Orr's stick?

Send me $20 when you have a sec.

OP here, just to clarify i'm looking for a fitting.
Color,brand,wraps or stickers are irrelevant.I know the basics on how to to get correct length and so on..
My thinking was,keep in mind I know my kid is NOT "ovi", but I want to make sure my kid is using the correct stick. Is there someone out there that can confirm he is using the correct length,lie,curve and flex? I would be willing to bet almost no one on this board has got all for correct for there kid.

Anon
Color,brand,wraps or stickers are irrelevant.I know the basics on how to to get correct length and so on..
My thinking was,keep in mind I know my kid is NOT "ovi", but I want to make sure my kid is using the correct stick. Is there someone out there that can confirm he is using the correct length,lie,curve and flex? I would be willing to bet almost no one on this board has got all for correct for there kid.
There is no "correct" lie and curve, only personal preference. A kid doesn't know enough to have a personal preference yet and his game is changing every six months anyway. He can learn to use any lie and curve effectively.

The only thing that's important for a kid is that the lie and curve be consistent. That's why they have numbers so you can make sure the lie and curve are consistent across brands.

Trust me, you're overthinking this.

Thank you

Anon
Anon
OP here, just to clarify i\'m looking for a fitting.
My thinking was,keep in mind I know my kid is NOT \"ovi\", but I want to make sure my kid is using the correct stick. Is there someone out there that can confirm he is using the correct length,lie,curve and flex? I would be willing to bet almost no one on this board has got all for correct for there kid.
There is no "correct" lie and curve, only personal preference. A kid doesn't know enough to have a personal preference yet and his game is changing every six months anyway. He can learn to use any lie and curve effectively.

The only thing that's important for a kid is that the lie and curve be consistent. That's why they have numbers so you can make sure the lie and curve are consistent across brands.

Trust me, you're overthinking this.
Kid must be an 08

Anon
A friend of mine's son was a 1st round draft pick. He's spent most of the year in the AHL, but has been called up a couple of times. He's constantly trying different sticks and especially different flexes. If there were a "correct" stick he wouldn't be doing that.

Players are a superstitious lot. I read recently that Pastrnak changed how he taped the shaft of his stick after going without a goal for awhile. As if the tape job on the shaft changes anything.

The right stick for your kid is the one that he feels confident in. It is also a constant topic in the locker room. That peer pressure, unfortunately, probably means we're buying way too much stick for our kids.

Anon
Anon
Anon

This is the Youth Hockey Board. You seem to have it confused with the NHL Board.

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain't Ovi, I promise you.
Maybe my statement was too broad.

I am all for the old school mentality of adjust to what you have and adapt and be able to play with any stick. You are a hockey player, especially at the young ages.

BUT

My statement was geared towards that weird age of 13-15 where some kids will be in junior sticks, some in intermediate and some in adult sticks.

If you are playing at a high level at those ages, then having the proper stick for you is a tremendous boost to your ability.

albeit, it may be as minor as your kid belongs in an intermediate and not a junior. Or belongs in an intermediate and not an adult stick.

The lie is somewhat important, although usually overlooked as you see from responses here. Google proper lie. A quick image search will tell you were you belong, or looking at your kids tape wear on his stick. if the kid is wearing out the heel of his stick tape then he needs to change lies. Might not look or seem important but you will see and he will notice a change in his ability to pass, collect passes, shoot and yes. Score.

I have made many kids buy new sticks over the years just to improve there shot velocity, based on having a junior stick and they should be intermediate or an intermediate and they should be in adult.

This is often overlooked, however kids and parents have told me that was the best advice they were given and now they feel they shoot the puck harder and get a confidence boost.

We spend all this time and money on hockey to the point of it being detrimental at points. Why would you not take ten mutes to ensure your kid has the right stick.

And sometimes it means you can get a stick cheaper than the newest top of the line LE stick !

Trust me. The proper stick is important, for Ovi and for your pee wee. One of the better asked questions I have seen on here !

and save me the "Bobby Orr used a flat stick with no tape", cuz your kid aint Bobby Orr and needs all the help he or she can get, so give it to them !

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain\'t Ovi, I promise you.

I am all for the old school mentality of adjust to what you have and adapt and be able to play with any stick. You are a hockey player, especially at the young ages.

BUT

My statement was geared towards that weird age of 13-15 where some kids will be in junior sticks, some in intermediate and some in adult sticks.

If you are playing at a high level at those ages, then having the proper stick for you is a tremendous boost to your ability.

albeit, it may be as minor as your kid belongs in an intermediate and not a junior. Or belongs in an intermediate and not an adult stick.

The lie is somewhat important, although usually overlooked as you see from responses here. Google proper lie. A quick image search will tell you were you belong, or looking at your kids tape wear on his stick. if the kid is wearing out the heel of his stick tape then he needs to change lies. Might not look or seem important but you will see and he will notice a change in his ability to pass, collect passes, shoot and yes. Score.

I have made many kids buy new sticks over the years just to improve there shot velocity, based on having a junior stick and they should be intermediate or an intermediate and they should be in adult.

This is often overlooked, however kids and parents have told me that was the best advice they were given and now they feel they shoot the puck harder and get a confidence boost.

We spend all this time and money on hockey to the point of it being detrimental at points. Why would you not take ten mutes to ensure your kid has the right stick.

And sometimes it means you can get a stick cheaper than the newest top of the line LE stick !

Trust me. The proper stick is important, for Ovi and for your pee wee. One of the better asked questions I have seen on here !

and save me the "Bobby Orr used a flat stick with no tape", cuz your kid aint Bobby Orr and needs all the help he or she can get, so give it to them !

This is the Youth Hockey Board. Willing to bet it isn't a 13 - 15 year old.

Regardless, you still don't need a custom stick fitter (whatever that is). If your kid is good enough for the technical specs of a twig to truly matter, he's around knowledgeable coaches. Ask them. Trust them. They know.

Different, but related story. Dad and 14 year old walk into a very reputable local skate fitter. Really all they do. Kid weighs a buck 20 and insists he needs the $1,000 Bauer senior skates. Fitter tells them they are the wrong skate, way too stiff for his weight, he won't sell them, because he knows they will be back saying he can't skate in them. Dad and kid storm out, saying "guy has no clue what he's talking about."

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain\\'t Ovi, I promise you.

BUT

Regardless, you still don't need a custom stick fitter (whatever that is). If your kid is good enough for the technical specs of a twig to truly matter, he's around knowledgeable coaches. Ask them. Trust them. They know.

Different, but related story. Dad and 14 year old walk into a very reputable local skate fitter. Really all they do. Kid weighs a buck 20 and insists he needs the $1,000 Bauer senior skates. Fitter tells them they are the wrong skate, way too stiff for his weight, he won't sell them, because he knows they will be back saying he can't skate in them. Dad and kid storm out, saying "guy has no clue what he's talking about."
Seriously. Can someone shoot me in the face !

You bet ? You bet that They are not 13-15 because this is the youth board. Maybe you have a little guy but bunches of 05’s and 04’s on here. That is 12/13/14. They are pee wee and bantam age. Not yet in hiigh school. This is why I said it was more important for that age group, but I digress... did you follow up your post about the ages being off because this is a youth board with an example of a 14 year old after you were done criticizing me for using the 13-15 age range ?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain\\'t Ovi, I promise you.

BUT

You bet ? You bet that They are not 13-15 because this is the youth board. Maybe you have a little guy but bunches of 05’s and 04’s on here. That is 12/13/14. They are pee wee and bantam age. Not yet in hiigh school. This is why I said it was more important for that age group, but I digress... did you follow up your post about the ages being off because this is a youth board with an example of a 14 year old after you were done criticizing me for using the 13-15 age range ?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Right flex? Kick point? Curve? Kid ain\\\\\'t Ovi, I promise you.

BUT

and save me the \"Bobby Orr used a flat stick with no tape\", cuz your kid aint Bobby Orr and needs all the help he or she can get, so give it to them !

This is the Youth Hockey Board. Willing to bet it isn\'t a 13 - 15 year old.

Regardless, you still don\'t need a custom stick fitter (whatever that is). If your kid is good enough for the technical specs of a twig to truly matter, he\'s around knowledgeable coaches. Ask them. Trust them. They know.

Different, but related story. Dad and 14 year old walk into a very reputable local skate fitter. Really all they do. Kid weighs a buck 20 and insists he needs the \$1,000 Bauer senior skates. Fitter tells them they are the wrong skate, way too stiff for his weight, he won\'t sell them, because he knows they will be back saying he can\'t skate in them. Dad and kid storm out, saying \"guy has no clue what he\'s talking about.\"

Wow, bit defensive, aren't we?

Anon
Just pick a stick and cut it. Anyone that has played can tell you where to cut it.