The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It’s over

Thank You for another year of talking about people behind their backs. Now go do it at baseball.

Re: It’s over

Baseball sucks LAX is the best!
Sorry your kid plays baseball.

Hockey is never over. Kid is on the ice right now.

this trait infests all levels of youth sports.

They're all the same now and there is no getting away from it.

Anon

They're all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
Sorry your kid doesn’t play elite baseball.

Anon
Anon

They\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
many of the better athletes are choosing LAX over baseball but have fun thinking your little superstar has any kind of advantage over kids from warm weather states that play year-round.

Anon
Anon
Anon

They\\\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
many of the better athletes are choosing LAX over baseball but have fun thinking your little superstar has any kind of advantage over kids from warm weather states that play year-round.
People say this and then say that year-round, single-sport specialization is bad for the kids. If it's so bad for the kids, why are the year-round players better than the seasonal players? Why don't all the warm-weather kids quit when they're 14 because of all those overuse injuries and being burned out on the sport? I'm confused.

What the experts say and what parents do are totally separate things. There was a study done on the birth years of pro soccer players and what they found was that there was a disproportional amount of players who were born in the beginning of the year. What they found was that these kids were at the older end of the spectrum when they started playing soccer. They were bigger and faster and were the best players on the field at a young age. The parent saw there kid dominating kindergarten soccer and though there kid had a natural talent. So the kid gets signed up for camps, special teams, etc. It was an interesting article that I am prob not doing justice in my short post.

But I think that is part of the reason of the year round training. Every parent wants their kid to excel and specializing in a sport is one way of trying to make that happen.

Anon
What the experts say and what parents do are totally separate things. There was a study done on the birth years of pro soccer players and what they found was that there was a disproportional amount of players who were born in the beginning of the year. What they found was that these kids were at the older end of the spectrum when they started playing soccer. They were bigger and faster and were the best players on the field at a young age. The parent saw there kid dominating kindergarten soccer and though there kid had a natural talent. So the kid gets signed up for camps, special teams, etc. It was an interesting article that I am prob not doing justice in my short post.

But I think that is part of the reason of the year round training. Every parent wants their kid to excel and specializing in a sport is one way of trying to make that happen.
Malcolm Gladwell wrote about this in his book, Outliers. Same with hockey kids in Canada. Birthdays skewed to January. March must be mating season up there.

Anon
Anon

Malcolm Gladwell wrote about this in his book, Outliers. Same with hockey kids in Canada. Birthdays skewed to January. March must be mating season up there.
Yes thank you. Had to read that for econ just could not remember who wrote it.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

They\\\\\\\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
People say this and then say that year-round, single-sport specialization is bad for the kids. If it's so bad for the kids, why are the year-round players better than the seasonal players? Why don't all the warm-weather kids quit when they're 14 because of all those overuse injuries and being burned out on the sport? I'm confused.
Physically you need to be careful about overuse injury and need to train off ice to help prevent that and also take breaks occasionally. They real burn out is Mental!
The kids that did not & do not need to be pushed are the ones who excel and do not burn out as often.

It has often been said, " Are you pushing your kid or is he pulling you??" These kids are putting in the work. Many of them you see them at the rink and they have a different look about them. Confidence bordering on cocky. The rink is their domain.

Just IMHO

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

They\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
People say this and then say that year-round, single-sport specialization is bad for the kids. If it\'s so bad for the kids, why are the year-round players better than the seasonal players? Why don\'t all the warm-weather kids quit when they\'re 14 because of all those overuse injuries and being burned out on the sport? I\'m confused.
Physically you need to be careful about overuse injury and need to train off ice to help prevent that and also take breaks occasionally. They real burn out is Mental!
The kids that did not & do not need to be pushed are the ones who excel and do not burn out as often.

It has often been said, " Are you pushing your kid or is he pulling you??" These kids are putting in the work. Many of them you see them at the rink and they have a different look about them. Confidence bordering on cocky. The rink is their domain.

Just IMHO

"Well Let me tell you somethin Brotha"......Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!:muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :laughing: :laughing:

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

They\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
People say this and then say that year-round, single-sport specialization is bad for the kids. If it\'s so bad for the kids, why are the year-round players better than the seasonal players? Why don\'t all the warm-weather kids quit when they\'re 14 because of all those overuse injuries and being burned out on the sport? I\'m confused.

Just IMHO

I think the push/pull analogy is spot on. All of my boys have played multiple sports because they enjoy the different kids, the mental break, etc. That said, I have one son that really loves hockey so during spring/summer he does camps and skills, anything to stay on the ice while fitting it in around baseball, fishing and goofing off. If he's tired, it's not a big deal to skip skills. His 3 other brothers, they would do a preseason hockey camp but would rather hang out at the lake than be at a rink, nothing wrong with that IMHO.

During hockey season, same son asks us almost weekly to go to cages, set up a hitting lesson, fielding lesson etc. on his off day from hockey. As long as he's asking for it, I don't see anything wrong with it. Keeps him active and developing, gives him a mental break from each sport, and provides him some no pressure opportunities to fail. If he doesn't ask than we don't do it. I'm letting him dictate how much he wants to work at it.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

They\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re all the same now and there is no getting away from it.
People say this and then say that year-round, single-sport specialization is bad for the kids. If it\\\'s so bad for the kids, why are the year-round players better than the seasonal players? Why don\\\'t all the warm-weather kids quit when they\\\'re 14 because of all those overuse injuries and being burned out on the sport? I\\\'m confused.

It has often been said, \" Are you pushing your kid or is he pulling you??\" These kids are putting in the work. Many of them you see them at the rink and they have a different look about them. Confidence bordering on cocky. The rink is their domain.

Just IMHO

I think the push/pull analogy is spot on. All of my boys have played multiple sports because they enjoy the different kids, the mental break, etc. That said, I have one son that really loves hockey so during spring/summer he does camps and skills, anything to stay on the ice while fitting it in around baseball, fishing and goofing off. If he's tired, it's not a big deal to skip skills. His 3 other brothers, they would do a preseason hockey camp but would rather hang out at the lake than be at a rink, nothing wrong with that IMHO.

During hockey season, same son asks us almost weekly to go to cages, set up a hitting lesson, fielding lesson etc. on his off day from hockey. As long as he's asking for it, I don't see anything wrong with it. Keeps him active and developing, gives him a mental break from each sport, and provides him some no pressure opportunities to fail. If he doesn't ask than we don't do it. I'm letting him dictate how much he wants to work at it.
Exactly right. I have one who while at his older brother's practices, races down the side of the rink against the kids on the ice. Does it over and over. Never tired, never stops moving. The other one wants to skip skills because it's boring. You can't want it more than they do.

If you are talking about baseball & football, plenty do quit or are forced out because of injuries, it's just the pool of players are significantly larger.

anon
If you are talking about baseball & football, plenty do quit or are forced out because of injuries, it's just the pool of players are significantly larger.
Great point. Larger sample population.

That’s okay. Not Concerned about him being overtaken by a Florida player who takes his college spot because he won’t be playing college baseball. Probably won’t be playing college hockey either. But as for the present and now I am happy and content with him playing at the highest levels at the two sports that HE chooses to play. Happy that enjoys both sports that he chose and happy that he gets selected for the best teams at both sports.

I not debating nor overly concerned over future but as a kid I am happy that he is a multi sport athlete that will be better than half of his team at both sports in high school and if he gives up one or both for hockey I am pretty confident he would do well at that too.

Wish everyone was as realistic.

Anon
That’s okay. Not Concerned about him being overtaken by a Florida player who takes his college spot because he won’t be playing college baseball. Probably won’t be playing college hockey either. But as for the present and now I am happy and content with him playing at the highest levels at the two sports that HE chooses to play. Happy that enjoys both sports that he chose and happy that he gets selected for the best teams at both sports.

I not debating nor overly concerned over future but as a kid I am happy that he is a multi sport athlete that will be better than half of his team at both sports in high school and if he gives up one or both for hockey I am pretty confident he would do well at that too.

Tell us some more how great your kid is.

You have us on the edge of our seats.

Anon
Anon

He is not great. He is above average, although he is a great kid.

Sorry you can’t be proud of your kid !

Anon
Anon
Anon

I'm plenty proud of my kid. I just don't spend my time telling everyone how great he is.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

I'm plenty proud of my kid. I just don't spend my time telling everyone how great he is.
You would... if you could !

You guys writing a novel? Shut up!! Baseball sucks!! It's like watching paint watch paint dry. ******* soccer is more riveting.

Anon
You guys writing a novel? Shut up!! Baseball sucks!! It's like watching paint watch paint dry. ******* soccer is more riveting.
We ridicule the things we don't understand.

Anon
Anon
You guys writing a novel? Shut up!! Baseball sucks!! It\'s like watching paint watch paint dry. ******* soccer is more riveting.
We ridicule the things we don't understand.
No we ridicule BASEBALL! Only baseball! Everything else is cool. Just baseball because it's sucks!!
Sorry you like Baseball 🖕

Anon
Soccer is way more boring than baseball.