Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refs do not get paid enough....

Anon
In that case the coach hurt his team.
Yes, he did, and that didn't escape notice by the parents or the team. But, the guy's point that these refs are all former pro players that know the rules and that parents don't is dumb.

In this case after the clash of egos was done the ref checked with the other ref and they allowed the change after the second penalty was called. Which is what he SHOULD have done to see if he saw better who knocked the net off the pegs.

The U18 State Finals example and the MIAA playoff example are instances where the laziness of the refs impacted kids' hockey careers. Those kids won't go to Nationals or played in their last game because the Refs. Didn't. Do. Their. Jobs. And then they come in here and whine about being yelled at.

Parents who yell at youth hockey refs are losers. No way around it. LOSERS.

To:8:28 AM poster: please learn how to read you moron. The poster did not say all the refs played pro..... he said most played high school, some juniors, some college, even some played semi pro. If you are going to make a stupid comment about a post, have somebody read the post for you. A big part of the problem is that the people commenting do not comprehend the rules.... and quite often the game either. Please silence your ignorance.

BS - they get paid enough. If they can't take some heat occasionally, then quit, or don't do it - go work at the grocery store.

Couple of examples - you can't have some 15 year old kid as a ref in a a game where to players start throwing haymakers at each other and the ref is so small he can't even get control of the situation - that's terrible.

Also, when you are missing the most BASIC calls such as icing and off-sides that leads to either a goal or just a bad play - you need to re think being a ref - period.

It is a job - and you have to do your job right - if you can't do it right, or feel as though you really don't have to - then go find something else to do.

anon
BS - they get paid enough. If they can't take some heat occasionally, then quit, or don't do it - go work at the grocery store.

Couple of examples - you can't have some 15 year old kid as a ref in a a game where to players start throwing haymakers at each other and the ref is so small he can't even get control of the situation - that's terrible.

Also, when you are missing the most BASIC calls such as icing and off-sides that leads to either a goal or just a bad play - you need to re think being a ref - period.

It is a job - and you have to do your job right - if you can't do it right, or feel as though you really don't have to - then go find something else to do.
So you are perfect and have never made a mistake on your job? When you do, do you have 30 parents dropping f-bombs at you while a bunch of 11 year old kids tell you "you suck". No..didn't think so. How many calls per game do they have to make? If they make 95% of the right calls, is that not good enough for you? Think about the game with the younger kids, did the player get tripped or just simply fall on his own? With reasonable effort, could that d-man have taken control of the puck at the dots or is it really icing? Then add in the rink manager who tells the ref's, we are ten minutes behind, do what you can to make some of that up this game before faceoff.

Here are a few things you may not be aware of
1) There is a huge shortage of referees available in our region
2) Ref's that keep games moving on time are more favorably viewed & scheduled so the system is telling them to swallow their whistles
3) If you are playing a 4pm game, chances are that your ref has already worked 4 or more games that day. See bullet point #1 and are tired

I agree, officiating has become increasing bad but the only time I get upset is when they let dangerous stuff go, i.e. charging, using the stick as a weapon, hits from behind, etc. I get frustrated with the bad calls and lack of calls but keep my mouth shut because
1) it's modeling better behavior to our kids
2) it's better than the alternative of no games

Don't get me wrong, the ref's who let the stick swing to the back of the helmet go uncalled deserve to be blasted but missing an offsides call, not so much.

I don't ref but I have a 19 year old who does and he chooses to work only VHL games at squirt and below even though he is certified higher because, in his words, "the few extra bucks ain't worth dealing with the jackass parents".

anon
anon
BS - they get paid enough. If they can\'t take some heat occasionally, then quit, or don\'t do it - go work at the grocery store.

Couple of examples - you can\'t have some 15 year old kid as a ref in a a game where to players start throwing haymakers at each other and the ref is so small he can\'t even get control of the situation - that\'s terrible.

It is a job - and you have to do your job right - if you can\'t do it right, or feel as though you really don\'t have to - then go find something else to do.
So you are perfect and have never made a mistake on your job? When you do, do you have 30 parents dropping f-bombs at you while a bunch of 11 year old kids tell you "you suck". No..didn't think so. How many calls per game do they have to make? If they make 95% of the right calls, is that not good enough for you? Think about the game with the younger kids, did the player get tripped or just simply fall on his own? With reasonable effort, could that d-man have taken control of the puck at the dots or is it really icing? Then add in the rink manager who tells the ref's, we are ten minutes behind, do what you can to make some of that up this game before faceoff.

Here are a few things you may not be aware of
1) There is a huge shortage of referees available in our region
2) Ref's that keep games moving on time are more favorably viewed & scheduled so the system is telling them to swallow their whistles
3) If you are playing a 4pm game, chances are that your ref has already worked 4 or more games that day. See bullet point #1 and are tired

I agree, officiating has become increasing bad but the only time I get upset is when they let dangerous stuff go, i.e. charging, using the stick as a weapon, hits from behind, etc. I get frustrated with the bad calls and lack of calls but keep my mouth shut because
1) it's modeling better behavior to our kids
2) it's better than the alternative of no games

Don't get me wrong, the ref's who let the stick swing to the back of the helmet go uncalled deserve to be blasted but missing an offsides call, not so much.

I don't ref but I have a 19 year old who does and he chooses to work only VHL games at squirt and below even though he is certified higher because, in his words, "the few extra bucks ain't worth dealing with the jackass parents".
Sorry your minimum wage REF got CUT...:laughing: :laughing: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar:

anon

"you can't have some 15 year old kid as a ref in a a game where to players start throwing haymakers at each other and the ref is so small he can't even get control of the situation" --- so your child and the 'others' can't control themselves, the coaches can't and do something that in school would result in a several day suspension... yep, you are making a case but not the one you think.

No "my kid" doesn't come into play with haymakers - but nice projection ass hat. I stand by what I said, either do the job right or don't do it.

Most refs are like bad cops. Went into profession because they were tools and now want to abuse their power.

Obviously you wanted to be a cop but your fat ass could not make it by the fitness test. Sorry your fat ass got cut from being a cop.