Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New USPHL midget division?

Agreed. However I would just add that USPHL more like a 20% drop. Another big difference is total number games. When you look at the other leagues they play way more. Problem with most USPHL teams they play under 50 games. From a cost perspective hard to compare against 70 games. The key to this whole post isn’t necessarily what happened in the past, but more so what’s happening in the future. More and more USPHL teams are playing youngsters up to try to feed and NCDC. It’s hurting them because it’s watering the U16 and U18 Divisions WAY down. Most u16 teams now filled with 04/03’s and u18’s with 02/01’s. If your kid is a good 02 then spending a year in the League at the 16 level will be really bad for him. T1, HPH league and NAPHL usually pure age players within their level, which is why they are better. Just look at the rosters.

Anon
Agreed. However I would just add that USPHL more like a 20% drop. Another big difference is total number games. When you look at the other leagues they play way more. Problem with most USPHL teams they play under 50 games. From a cost perspective hard to compare against 70 games. The key to this whole post isn’t necessarily what happened in the past, but more so what’s happening in the future. More and more USPHL teams are playing youngsters up to try to feed and NCDC. It’s hurting them because it’s watering the U16 and U18 Divisions WAY down. Most u16 teams now filled with 04/03’s and u18’s with 02/01’s. If your kid is a good 02 then spending a year in the League at the 16 level will be really bad for him. T1, HPH league and NAPHL usually pure age players within their level, which is why they are better. Just look at the rosters.
The cost is significantly less in the USPHL because if less travel. They likely play 2-3 games in a weekend wheres midewest teams play 3-5 because if the significant cost and effort evert weekend. Tuitions are less because travel costs so high. Also, not many underagers playing up in USPHL. Because the midwest teams have so few programs most players are age appropriate. Here too many options, so undersgers are scatteted about but not so much in the USPHL.

You couldn’t be more off from the truth. USPHL teams are like 2k more than most programs in other leagues and have mostly underage players. Check the rosters buddy. Great league for underagers. Not good if looking for best comp in own age group.

Great thread. Certainly at top U16 USPHL teams like Islanders, Bruins and South Kent, it is not mostly underage players. Only a handful of 02’s played U16 this past season and I’m not aware of any 03’s, although there may have been some. I’m sure someone will check rosters and let us know. For the upcoming season, there will definitely be some 03’s and there are a few 04’s playing U16. Bandits will have a couple of 04’s, several 04 Islanders are playing for Bruins, and Islanders picked up a strong 04 goalie. While the USPHL (and all the other leagues mentioned) can be a great option for underage players, I think it’s unfair to suggest the USPHL is not a good option for own aged players. The USPHL is the best local FS option. Are the teams as good as the top ones in other parts of the country? No, but they are still good. From a competition perspective, the USPHL teams will face some of the best teams in the country (and some Canadian teams), especially during the split season at BJB Shootout, Beantown, etc. These events are also heavily scouted. From what I understand, the top USPHL teams will be matched up with the top national teams at these events as part of the merged EHF Mass Selects.

Kings as a top USPHL team? Did you even look at the records from the last bunch of years? Coach is a clown and the program is a total money grab ever since SH left. Bandits? Really? They won like 3 games over the past few season and had kids who left at half way mark to play for their D3 HS...

Islanders and Jr Bruins, yes. Both had mostly 01’s and were good, but had to find other competitors outside of USPHL for good games. The new direction is for both those programs to go all 04’s and collect checks. Kings, Islanders and Bandits all moving their 02’s with any skill up to u18, which tells you what the product will really be like. Neither team can win with right aged kids so move them up? Best 02 players from Islanders, Jr Bruins, Kings, Jr Rangers and Pics all moving to Prep or T1 or other teams...01’s with any skill off to prep or NCDC, leaving a huge void at u18 level.

Come on man...just call it what it is...somewhat local, expensive and not a ton of ice. Most of the programs practice 2 or 3 days a week and ply 40 something games a year, not against T1, NAPHL or HPHL. We are glad your kid plays here and is focusing on hockey versus other things but call it what it is. Basically tier 2 hockey from most of these teams. Look at the new additions for next year. Maine Moose? Really?

Here is a data point. Monarchs came in last year and did well in the USPHL. They are getting booted from the T1 league because they couldn’t compete.

Final point. SKS rumored to be leaving and headed to NAPHL and Indy schedule due poor competition with this new direction. Hmm...play Shattucks and other midwestern teams or pound on the Bandits, 04 and 03 Kings and now 04’s from Islanders and Jr Bruins...not attractive for them from a recruiting standpoint. Sorry to hit you with real facts of what this league is becoming. Make sure you write the check though so Gallant can continue to make more millions.

Anon
Kings as a top USPHL team? Did you even look at the records from the last bunch of years? Coach is a clown and the program is a total money grab ever since SH left. Bandits? Really? They won like 3 games over the past few season and had kids who left at half way mark to play for their D3 HS...

Islanders and Jr Bruins, yes. Both had mostly 01’s and were good, but had to find other competitors outside of USPHL for good games. The new direction is for both those programs to go all 04’s and collect checks. Kings, Islanders and Bandits all moving their 02’s with any skill up to u18, which tells you what the product will really be like. Neither team can win with right aged kids so move them up? Best 02 players from Islanders, Jr Bruins, Kings, Jr Rangers and Pics all moving to Prep or T1 or other teams...01’s with any skill off to prep or NCDC, leaving a huge void at u18 level.

Come on man...just call it what it is...somewhat local, expensive and not a ton of ice. Most of the programs practice 2 or 3 days a week and ply 40 something games a year, not against T1, NAPHL or HPHL. We are glad your kid plays here and is focusing on hockey versus other things but call it what it is. Basically tier 2 hockey from most of these teams. Look at the new additions for next year. Maine Moose? Really?

Here is a data point. Monarchs came in last year and did well in the USPHL. They are getting booted from the T1 league because they couldn’t compete.

Final point. SKS rumored to be leaving and headed to NAPHL and Indy schedule due poor competition with this new direction. Hmm...play Shattucks and other midwestern teams or pound on the Bandits, 04 and 03 Kings and now 04’s from Islanders and Jr Bruins...not attractive for them from a recruiting standpoint. Sorry to hit you with real facts of what this league is becoming. Make sure you write the check though so Gallant can continue to make more millions.

Some valid points. NH monarchs u18 had winning % of slightly above .500% in USPHL and slightly below .500% in Tier 1. U16 was a little more striking but that is certainly to be expected as better u18 players are in juniors. Not saying leagues are that close but...not as great as you make it out to be

Anon
Anon
Crap league to crappier league
At this point you're not making any point other than that you are a total A-Hole. Either your kid is playing at a higher level, in which case why do you feel such a burning desire to **** on this one, or your kid got cut, in which case you're saying your kid is awful by ****ting on the league.

The USPHL is not the top dog at any level of play. It also isn't crap. It's a good, strong league. Not as good as some but better than most.

It's also local. So, it serves a very specific purpose - it allows kids to stay at home until they are ready to move out (in our kid's case, until he graduates from HS as we are not willing to compromise his education) but still play hockey at a high level and develop.

Now, unless you have something to say that can sustain a discussion beyond the sewer level you and your butt buddy NCDC Sux operate at, STFU.
Oh please, if your kid was good enough to play in the USHL, you would compromise his education in a heart beat. At the end of the day, no one cares where you graduate high school from as long as you graduate from college.

Anon
Anon
Anon
At this point you\'re not making any point other than that you are a total A-Hole. Either your kid is playing at a higher level, in which case why do you feel such a burning desire to **** on this one, or your kid got cut, in which case you\'re saying your kid is awful by ****ting on the league.

The USPHL is not the top dog at any level of play. It also isn\'t crap. It\'s a good, strong league. Not as good as some but better than most.

It\'s also local. So, it serves a very specific purpose - it allows kids to stay at home until they are ready to move out (in our kid\'s case, until he graduates from HS as we are not willing to compromise his education) but still play hockey at a high level and develop.

Now, unless you have something to say that can sustain a discussion beyond the sewer level you and your butt buddy NCDC Sux operate at, STFU.
Oh please, if your kid was good enough to play in the USHL, you would compromise his education in a heart beat. At the end of the day, no one cares where you graduate high school from as long as you graduate from college.
You're wrong. 100%, outside of NTDP, which I suppose is still USHL. A buddy of mine was faced with that decision, and even then, it wasn't automatic. Ultimately he went, ultimately he was a 1st round pick, and he's now in the NHL. But, at 16, his parents thought long and hard about having him leave Prep School.

But, that's not my kid's path. So, even if he were good enough to play in the USHL (and he still may) I would not let him drop out of school. It will still be there when he's done with school. If he's good enough. You can only go to HS once.

Please don't let your obvious arrogance extend to how I parent my kid. Not everyone is willing to mortgage their kid's future to a sport that could end with one illegal check to the head.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
At this point you\\'re not making any point other than that you are a total A-Hole. Either your kid is playing at a higher level, in which case why do you feel such a burning desire to **** on this one, or your kid got cut, in which case you\\'re saying your kid is awful by ****ting on the league.

The USPHL is not the top dog at any level of play. It also isn\\'t crap. It\\'s a good, strong league. Not as good as some but better than most.

It\\'s also local. So, it serves a very specific purpose - it allows kids to stay at home until they are ready to move out (in our kid\\'s case, until he graduates from HS as we are not willing to compromise his education) but still play hockey at a high level and develop.

You're wrong. 100%, outside of NTDP, which I suppose is still USHL. A buddy of mine was faced with that decision, and even then, it wasn't automatic. Ultimately he went, ultimately he was a 1st round pick, and he's now in the NHL. But, at 16, his parents thought long and hard about having him leave Prep School.

But, that's not my kid's path. So, even if he were good enough to play in the USHL (and he still may) I would not let him drop out of school. It will still be there when he's done with school. If he's good enough. You can only go to HS once.

Please don't let your obvious arrogance extend to how I parent my kid. Not everyone is willing to mortgage their kid's future to a sport that could end with one illegal check to the head.
Must be an Andover parent?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
At this point you\\'re not making any point other than that you are a total A-Hole. Either your kid is playing at a higher level, in which case why do you feel such a burning desire to **** on this one, or your kid got cut, in which case you\\'re saying your kid is awful by ****ting on the league.

The USPHL is not the top dog at any level of play. It also isn\\'t crap. It\\'s a good, strong league. Not as good as some but better than most.

It\\'s also local. So, it serves a very specific purpose - it allows kids to stay at home until they are ready to move out (in our kid\\'s case, until he graduates from HS as we are not willing to compromise his education) but still play hockey at a high level and develop.

Keep your kid home. He doesn't belong in the U.

Ha...sorry your kid can’t make BA

Who said Kings or Bandits are top USPHL teams? U16 Bruins played 63 games, Islanders 70, other local USPHL teams playing less. Looking at the league as a whole, there’s definitely a talent disparity between the top teams and the bottom teams.

Duh. Direct correlation between talent, # games, ranking and quality of program and coaching. Kings a huge money grab....lots of $$$ for nothing. Jr B’s and Islanders good, but from the sounds of it only for 04’s now...

You had me until the last phrase. Why does everybody think U16 is now a Bantam Major league? What a joke. Are there a few random 04’s? Sounds like it, but they will be mostly 02 teams. I’ve even heard some of the 04’s are 6ft + studs, others are high skill players and goalie is obviously a unique position. Everybody always looking for an angle.

Mostly 03's in U16...02's have either moved up to U18 or over to prep.

Very big ego's in the 03 group...mostly parents but some kids too...

Anon
Mostly 03's in U16...02's have either moved up to U18 or over to prep.

Very big ego's in the 03 group...mostly parents but some kids too...
Where do you get this **** from? Not a single 02 on my kid's U18 team. I looked at the three area teams's rosters - Islanders, Jr Bs, SSK - 64 kids, one - ONE - 2001, no one younger than that. All 99s and 00s

In fact, there were only two 02s in the entire league last year.

Next season...no one said 02's played U18 this season....

And how would anyone know what the rosters will look like in September? Parents? Yeah, that's reliable. Kids word of mouth? Even more reliable.

Again, there was ONE 2001 on the local teams' rosters this year. Bet there won't be three 02s combined next year. These are competitive teams. They have plenty of 2000s and 2001s to choose from, and they want the best 2002s to be on their U16 teams. Do you think the U18 coach is going to take an 02 that can't make the U16 roster, or some 5'4" 15 year old?

Just like a U16 coach taking a 5'2" 100lb 04 to play on his team...

Anon
Just like a U16 coach taking a 5'2" 100lb 04 to play on his team...
Is that another "fact" or some parent talking out of their ass?

There was one - ONE 2004 in the entire league last year, and he was 6'1" 165 lbs.

Don't believe anything you hear in April. "Something" will happen between now and then and those rumors will be just that.

Anon
Anon
Just like a U16 coach taking a 5\'2\" 100lb 04 to play on his team...
Is that another "fact" or some parent talking out of their ass?

There was one - ONE 2004 in the entire league last year, and he was 6'1" 165 lbs.

Don't believe anything you hear in April. "Something" will happen between now and then and those rumors will be just that.
No, this one's true.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Just like a U16 coach taking a 5\\\'2\\\" 100lb 04 to play on his team...
Is that another \"fact\" or some parent talking out of their ass?

There was one - ONE 2004 in the entire league last year, and he was 6\'1\" 165 lbs.

Don\'t believe anything you hear in April. \"Something\" will happen between now and then and those rumors will be just that.
No, this one's true.
Well, he apparently flew low enough under the radar to not make it onto the league's stats page. And they are pretty disciplined about those kinds of things.

Kings u18 will have multiple 02s. Their u16’s will be mostly 03’s, couple 04’2, a few not very good 02’s. Not many 00’s left, only bad ones....
Islanders mostly 03’s and 02’s
Jr Bruins mostly 04’s and a couple 03’s. They do this every year. My son played as a Bantam major.
Bandits a mixed bag of the 13 kids stupid enough to show up to their April camp (04’s up to 02’s)

And yes, 02’s played u16 last season, 03’s played this season and they will have plenty of 04’s next season.

Anon
Kings u18 will have multiple 02s. Their u16’s will be mostly 03’s, couple 04’2, a few not very good 02’s. Not many 00’s left, only bad ones....
Jr Bruins mostly 04’s and a couple 03’s. They do this every year. My son played as a Bantam major.
Bandits a mixed bag of the 13 kids stupid enough to show up to their April camp (04’s up to 02’s)

And yes, 02’s played u16 last season, 03’s played this season and they will have plenty of 04’s next season.
Number of rostered 2003s for 2017/18 U16 Season:

Jr. Bruins - Zero

IHC - Zero

SSK - Zero

Jr. Bandits - One

Yup, plenty all right.

Anon
Anon

Jr. Bruins - Zero

IHC - Zero

SSK - Zero

Jr. Bandits - One

Yup, plenty all right.

The first post in this quote is either completely misinformed or made up for some bizzare agenda. The second post in the quote states the facts about how many 03 there were in U16 this past season. The idea that the U16 Jr. Bruins will be mostly 04 with a few 03 and no 02 next year is ridiculous. They don’t do that every year and certainly didn’t this past season. The top Kings 04 are staying together at U14, they will be one of the stronger U14 FS teams around.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Jr. Bruins - Zero

IHC - Zero

SSK - Zero

Jr. Bandits - One

Yup, plenty all right.

The first post in this quote is either completely misinformed or made up for some bizzare agenda. The second post in the quote states the facts about how many 03 there were in U16 this past season. The idea that the U16 Jr. Bruins will be mostly 04 with a few 03 and no 02 next year is ridiculous. They don’t do that every year and certainly didn’t this past season. The top Kings 04 are staying together at U14, they will be one of the stronger U14 FS teams around.
The D Board is a Bizarro World where wild rumors are much preferred to facts and rational debate is frowned upon. Just look at all the discussion right now about mid-level recreational youth hockey and realize that knowledge of the sport is not a prerequisite for participation.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Jr. Bruins - Zero

IHC - Zero

SSK - Zero

Jr. Bandits - One

Yup, plenty all right.

The D Board is a Bizarro World where wild rumors are much preferred to facts and rational debate is frowned upon. Just look at all the discussion right now about mid-level recreational youth hockey and realize that knowledge of the sport is not a prerequisite for participation.
Gee I wonder where we learned that?!? Unfortunately in today's America, facts and honest debate are old fashioned. Just make stuff up and verbally assault your adversary, now that's the American way c. 2018.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Just like a U16 coach taking a 5\\\\\\'2\\\\\\" 100lb 04 to play on his team...
Is that another \\"fact\\" or some parent talking out of their ass?

There was one - ONE 2004 in the entire league last year, and he was 6\\'1\\" 165 lbs.

Don\\'t believe anything you hear in April. \\"Something\\" will happen between now and then and those rumors will be just that.
No, this one's true.
Well, he apparently flew low enough under the radar to not make it onto the league's stats page. And they are pretty disciplined about those kinds of things.
No stat sheet yet. We're talking about next year's U16 team.

We’ll be able to have a more informed conversation once next year’s rosters are online. Here’s my over-under:

U18 — Mostly 01 and 00, a few 02.
U16 — Mostly 02 and stronger 03 (common for 03 to play U16 since U15 is new nationally). A few teams will have an 04 or two, many teams will have none.

04 playing U16 is the result of the hockey landscape changing dramatically at U14. Most FS teams break up with kids going SS and HS, some prep. Eighth graders in particular and some ninth graders still looking for FS options. U16 FS can be a much better option at this time than U18 HS or U19 prep, especially with the limited U14 options. Some may even go U15 if not national bound.

Anon
Mostly 03\'s in U16...02\'s have either moved up to U18 or over to prep.

Very big ego\'s in the 03 group...mostly parents but some kids too...
Looking at the # of 03's playing U16 last year I would say the opposite...

Now 04's that's a different story.

03's...yup....Bandits, CP Dynamo, Syracuse, Rochester...