Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Captains in Youth Hockey

If you do this you are a complete loser and should off yourself tonight. All it does is create a popularity contest. If this is your focus you are clearly are not doing your job as a coach. Quit now. Captains are for HS and above where upper classmen and veterans guide the rookies and set the tone.. No room for this crap in youth (at any level). I do know of a team that did it at the u16 level and both kids and parents thought the coaches were morons for it. The C and A got their balls busted big time.

Saw it this year at the Jr. Prep schools we played, (Hiilside, Cardigan MT, Eaglebrook) My son knows a number of the kids at each school and they told him the coaches have the team pick, but kids who didn't get 1 vote were assigned the C or A and those kids were crucified all season, definitely not a popularity contest in those situations, more like a favor to Mom or Dad. Our coach told us at the beginning of the year he would let the kids decide if the wanted it, they chose no.

In youth hockey a C on a kids jersey stands for “coaches kid”. All the other kids laugh at him.

I am a coach. No way I would do this or ever have my kid wear a C even if I was that foolish to let it happen in the first place.

This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which "color" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.

anon
This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which "color" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.
I bet 95% of the posters on this thread do not even know what the role of the C and A are on hockey teams !!

Anon
anon
This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which \"color\" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.
I bet 95% of the posters on this thread do not even know what the role of the C and A are on hockey teams !!
I do know that whether a kid wears a C or an A as a youth player has zero to do with whether they have respect for the game or other players, and also has zero to do with whether a kid "makes it" or not.

Yeah Coach, all your kid are going to "make it" and no other kids will because of your genius rotation of the "C." It is THE determining factor.

Anon
Anon
anon
This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which \\"color\\" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.
I do know that whether a kid wears a C or an A as a youth player has zero to do with whether they have respect for the game or other players, and also has zero to do with whether a kid "makes it" or not.

Yeah Coach, all your kid are going to "make it" and no other kids will because of your genius rotation of the "C." It is THE determining factor.
Thanks for making my point. If you knew the role and rules of the C and A, you would understand that there are no need in youth sports and the kids cannot even comprehend that role and its purpose in youth sports and you would have understood that we are saying the same thing.

Go look up Rule 202

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which \\\\\"color\\\\\" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.
I do know that whether a kid wears a C or an A as a youth player has zero to do with whether they have respect for the game or other players, and also has zero to do with whether a kid \"makes it\" or not.

Yeah Coach, all your kid are going to \"make it\" and no other kids will because of your genius rotation of the \"C.\" It is THE determining factor.
Thanks for making my point. If you knew the role and rules of the C and A, you would understand that there are no need in youth sports and the kids cannot even comprehend that role and its purpose in youth sports and you would have understood that we are saying the same thing.

Go look up Rule 202
Go shove your rule book, Marmalard. I was disputing 8:35's claim that using the C and the A makes a difference in the way he described it.

Anon
Anon
anon
This is why none of your benders will make it. I do this every year with my kids. I rotate it around so every player gets a chance to wear it equally throughout the season. I teach my kids to learn how to respect the Captain, no matter who is wearing it. I have the kids who Captain shake hands with opposing coaches and referees and give a chance to talk before games. It is used as a learning tool to help kids gain and give respect to the game and those who participate in it. Obviously your coaches dont care about those aspects of the game which is part of the major flaw in why local kids are falling out fo favor with higher levels of hockey. Focus is on Money and which \\"color\\" your kids are playing in. Not on fundamentals, skills and respect.

Another Idiot on the Board. It goes to show the level of incompetent coaches you will accept blindly for your child. Enjoy the silver division with your daddy coaches.

anon
Like anything, it all depends on who is implementing it. If the coach uses it the way this poster described, good idea. If not, then maybe bad idea. Yet another reason why you should be seeking out good coaching and not necessarily good leagues.

Even in high school most kids / players have no idea why there are captains. It should be a coach's selection on who he thinks can have the best / most meaningful / knowledgeable interaction with the refs and represent the team the best. Too often the players select the 'captains' and it's usually a popularity contest of who has the hottest sister or mom and the best parties. "This year as captains we have Jeff Spicoli, John "Bluto" Blutarsky and Steve Stifler."

anon
Even in high school most kids / players have no idea why there are captains. It should be a coach's selection on who he thinks can have the best / most meaningful / knowledgeable interaction with the refs and represent the team the best. Too often the players select the 'captains' and it's usually a popularity contest of who has the hottest sister or mom and the best parties. "This year as captains we have Jeff Spicoli, John "Bluto" Blutarsky and Steve Stifler."
I don't know where you went to HS, but where I went it was usually the two best players. Nobody ever thought about hot sisters or moms. Of course, the two best players aren't always the most equipped to deal with the referees, but at least they had the respect of the underclassmen and the ear of the coaching staff.

Not at our high school. Three players capable of D-1 hockey and I don't think any were ever captain. One over sized kid who made it as a freshman, one wild-hair party boy and one whose dad helped video tape the games who played 3-4th line. Best players were a quiet senior defensemen, a sophomore center man and a sophomore defender. One will be playing D-1 this year, one is playing D-1 lacrosse and one said to heck with it all and went to college.