Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
07 tryouts

It’s that time and was looking for honest info on teams that are looking to upgrade and the spots are not already taken prior to tryouts so your just donating to the program with a tryout fee..live off 128. Willing to do alittle travel but would rather head north of 128..obviously islanders are an “invite “ only..but any legit info would be great .. and no my son hasn’t been cut. Thanks in advance to the ones who reply honestly

Re: 07 tryouts

Should have had an 08’.... they’re stacked!!!!!

08’s are not stacked. They are average at best.

What do you mean invite only? Anyone can tryout.

Heard the Americans were looking to upgrade.

08s are absolutely stacked and the parents have no delusions about their kids future as D1 players!

Clubs are just starting to announce tryout dates, but it's pretty well known that if you wait for the tryouts, you're likely to be too late. There will be a lot of movement at this birth year next year, especially when you factor in the Q hype. Plenty of wheeling and dealing is already underway. If you go back a few pages, you'll find extremely telling information on several 07 organizations in the geographic region you're looking at. Don't let it ride another two months. Figure out what you're looking for and/or what you're willing to tolerate, then reach out to the coach.

For the record, this is a loaded post. I don't know if that was an attempt to poke the bear, or if you walked into it with a blindfold on after holing up under a rock for the past month.

u can try 07 vipers if your kid is a bender they play in the ehf black and they are looking to up grade good team coach played pro hockey

Joe dirt
u can try 07 vipers if your kid is a bender they play in the ehf black and they are looking to up grade good team coach played pro hockey
“That’s why Dad named you Joe Dirt instead of Nunamaker!”

Aside from the top 2 or 3 teams at the elite level in the Fed, every team has open spots. Figure out a few teams within a reasonable distance and go watch the way the coach runs the practice. If it looks like a well run practice and a (fairly) healthy environment, call the coach. You can typically get their info from the team's site or a quick web/Facebook stalking session. Maybe the coach will invite your player to a practice or a skills session before tryouts. You'll figure out pretty quickly if the coach wants your player on the team.

As an aside, this is a great year to do make the jump to club hockey if your kid's into it. Many of the "studs" through mites and squirts are phasing out of the game as kids with more skill are catching up in size and strength.

Good luck.

If you wait until tryouts for 90% of the teams, be it Fed Elite, Rainbow Division, E9, BHL, PHC you are making a donation to the owners. Even weaker teams will have all but one or two roster slots filled. Follow the advice that has been offered countless times on the dBoard, do some research and get your kid skating with a team for a practice or two now.

What is the best way to reach out to the coach? What do you say? My kid has always made teams by just showing up at tryouts.

Always have used email as I think it's less intrusive and allows a coach to be honest if they want to be. A few years back I remember reaching out to a coach for my '01. Coaches reply was along the lines of, you can come for a skate if you want but 15 contracts have been handed out & returned so we have no spots. Of course I've had coaches lie as well but at least they had a chance to be honest.

Yes kids do make teams at tryouts, typically not the better teams but some organizations still try and keep things transparent & above board. In my experience, including my own, when we parents do blind tryouts we sign the player agreement not knowing how our kid will interact with the other players, not really knowing how the coaches work with the kids, how the coaches communicate during games, etc. We do it out of ego, brand reputation or desperation. We tend to forget the game still needs to be fun, that not all coaching styles mesh with all players and then we become disillusioned when it doesn't work out.

IMHO there are so many teams, so many different coaches that we do our players a disservice if we don't spend a little time looking for an optimal fit.

T1B teams almost always leave a spot or two open to accommodate elite team cuts who are scrambling to find a team around tryout season.

anon
Always have used email as I think it's less intrusive and allows a coach to be honest if they want to be. A few years back I remember reaching out to a coach for my '01. Coaches reply was along the lines of, you can come for a skate if you want but 15 contracts have been handed out & returned so we have no spots. Of course I've had coaches lie as well but at least they had a chance to be honest.

Yes kids do make teams at tryouts, typically not the better teams but some organizations still try and keep things transparent & above board. In my experience, including my own, when we parents do blind tryouts we sign the player agreement not knowing how our kid will interact with the other players, not really knowing how the coaches work with the kids, how the coaches communicate during games, etc. We do it out of ego, brand reputation or desperation. We tend to forget the game still needs to be fun, that not all coaching styles mesh with all players and then we become disillusioned when it doesn't work out.

IMHO there are so many teams, so many different coaches that we do our players a disservice if we don't spend a little time looking for an optimal fit.
I feel like I just showered. Its refreshing to hear someone who gets it.

Anon
What is the best way to reach out to the coach? What do you say? My kid has always made teams by just showing up at tryouts.
Send an email to the coach, most are listed on team website. Keep it simple, name, birth year, last team played for. Ask them if he can attend a practice. If the coach is interested he will tell you to come to tryouts and most rosters are filled prior to then, other than maybe 2 or 3 positions at best.

EHF coach
Anon
Send an email to the coach, most are listed on team website. Keep it simple, name, birth year, last team played for. Ask them if he can attend a practice. If the coach is interested he will tell you to come to tryouts and most rosters are filled prior to then, other than maybe 2 or 3 positions at best.
The bottom 4 EHF teams will turn over 50% and are looking for new coaches too.
Pathetic teams.

Boston Jr Bruins, playing in E9 this year. Will need to playin again next year, but also go to Q lower division.

anon
Boston Jr Bruins, playing in E9 this year. Will need to playin again next year, but also go to Q lower division.
The team with no wins in E9? Coach is a screamer.

What 07 teams go to the Q and what determines that? I know some teams can buy their way in, but what makes other teams a lock?

Top Gun 07s always need players and it sounds like that team has imploded...

Anonymous
What 07 teams go to the Q and what determines that? I know some teams can buy their way in, but what makes other teams a lock?
EHF Elite are guaranteed a certain number of spots, I think two plus maybe MMF bought a spot or something like that. Who gets those spots is determined by early season standings.

Tier II Q, for teams such as the Shamrocks are determined by application, who you know, and MHR rankings.