The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can the refs get any worse at Exeter/ Seacoast?

Why are the refs at the Rinks at Exeter so much worse than any where else? It’s been this way for the past several years.

Re: Can the refs get any worse at Exeter/ Seacoast?

Can anyone tell me where the refs are good?

You guys complain about refs everywhere...

There is usually at least 15 goods refs at each game in the stands. And a couple on the bench

The refs get yelled at by coaches, parents, players, custodians, toddlers... Who would want that job for a few dollars an hour? Answer is inexperienced kids and retired people.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

great reply

Is a youth sports game that important that the ref needs to be professional grade? I personally used to be one of the 15 in the stands and can agree that they're getting paid to do this and need to perform as such but at the end of the day the failure isn't with the guys on the ice it's with the development and supervision/oversight from usah. the few that are out there just for a paycheck need to be fired, the rest that are there (assuming) mostly for the love of the game need to be developed and supported better.

I agree with OP, for some reason there is a huge drop off in the quality of referees at Exeter.

I agreed with the OP. The refs are brutal at Exeter. The boy who everyone thinks is a girl is clueless. Shame on orgs for hiring these people.

Organizations don't hire the refs, that is done by referee assignors who handle all refs. There are roughly a dozen games going with one ref or no refs where I live this weekend. It's got to the point that the pool of people who want to do it is drying up. $34 before taxes to spend an hour getting yelled at by uneducated parents and coaches who think that 4 inch offside you missed in a 7-1 game matters in the world...yeah...sign me up.

Everyone wants to complain but no one has the stones to go out and ref themselves.

Retired
Why are the refs at the Rinks at Exeter so much worse than any where else? It’s been this way for the past several years.
Yes, if you laced them up and went out there, that's how.

You’re all missing the original posters question.... why is the quality of referee so much worse at Exeter. You would think it would average out.....but it doesn’t, Exeter consistently has inexperienced, or poor quality refs, all the time....

One reason Exeter gets inexperienced refs is because they have to put up with the a-hole Seacoast coaches.

Anon
One reason Exeter gets inexperienced refs is because they have to put up with the a-hole Seacoast coaches.
Come on coaches their aren't that bad, JSP hand picks everyone.

Anon
Never ref'd a game there, it's too far for me to drive but you probably aren't far off with the coaches comments

There are certain orgs/teams that ref's prefer to stay away from, in no particular order
*org's that are incredibly slow paying
*teams where the kids are thugs
*teams where coaches are insane

As an aside, I find that insane coaches tend to attract thug players. Just an observation.

If you keep getting the same few bad eggs, chances are some combination of the three above are the reason as no one else wants to do games there. Of course it could also be that these guys are liked by the assignor because they live close by, are willing to take as many games as the assignor can put them on, and don't complain about getting paid, thus making his life easy.

It's just as frustrating for me, maybe even more so when my kids get bad officials. Here's my advice, as hard as it is, just chill. Unless they are doing things that are dangerous, like leaving doors open at Bantam and above, just let it go. It's out of your control, it's out of your players control. When parents go insane it trickles down to the players quickly and games turn into three ring circus.

I don’t find the refs at Exeter any worse or better than anywhere else. I fully agree with the statement ‘if you don’t like it then Get out there yourself’. If the refs stink that’s fine so long as they stink in both directions. Our kids had a game in Springfield this year where the refs were joking with the home team kids and the game ended with the refs calling 8 penalties on our kids to 2 on theirs. Maybe that’s an outlier. But when that happens it’s tough to stay quiet. I expect only one thing from the refs at my child’s level. He is a mite. Keep the game safe and the physical to a minimum or at least reasonable level. We have now seen games get so physical and chippy they have devolved into actual fist fights 4 times. That is terrible refereeing and yes I did yell at the refs with very poor language in those cases. But I don’t skate well enough to be a ref and a blown offsides call isn’t going to turn the game. Just a side 1 of the 4 games that kids started fights was at Exeter.

You don't skate well enough to ref a mite game?