email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hockey is a great tool for education

Anon
Education is needed in the world. Hockey is not. There is a lot of good hockey players out here who could use hockey to either help reduce education cost or open a door to a school that might be out of reach without a push from a sports coach. If your player has an opportunity to get into a good prep school and then a great D 1 or D 3 college then take that route.
Just be a smart parent. One injury and its all over. Help educate your kid not have them live out your dreams.
Stop it..90% of kids go to Prep for athletics/ then hopefully college for athletics/ just call it what it is.

At an ISL school my kids attend, only 33 percent of seniors used coaches support to be admitted to NESCAC/Ivy school this year. Those students are all top 30 in all NE level or top 10 in NEPSAC. In hockey they are invited to National Development Camps.

Other varsity sports students choose to apply through EA or ED without coaches support because they know they are qualified for better schools by academics and extracurricular activities than by sports.

In other words only 33 percent got admitted through coaches support.

33% sounds like the right number in my view, or maybe a bit higher. This means all posters in this thread are all correct - 90% wished to use coaches support when they start in Freshman, but 67 % realize they received great education in prep schools to get ticket to good colleges without athletics coaches support.

My liberal elite buddy here needs to buy a clue. FYI, you don't need to go to a Prep school to go to a D-1 College. Last time I checked, colleges were accepting students from a public high school. Actually, it is quite the norm outside of the New England area but you liberal fools don't get it. You would rather blow $60K for a worthless Prep School Degree that can't get you a job. No thanks, I'll save that money for a REAL college degree that my child can use towards landing his first job.

I live in a town with a top public school. I also know many kids who went the prep route either for academics or sports and let me tell you as of right now the kids I know coming out of a top public school have placed in the same colleges and often better than the prep kids. The one guy who is always posting about the 'incredible prep school education...' hasn't yet seen the end result and yes, maybe compared to the lackluster, ho-hum school district he lives in the opportunities are greater where his kid is currently going to school. For many of us it's just a college tuition for a high school degree. :slightly_frowning_face:

anon
I live in a town with a top public school. I also know many kids who went the prep route either for academics or sports and let me tell you as of right now the kids I know coming out of a top public school have placed in the same colleges and often better than the prep kids. The one guy who is always posting about the 'incredible prep school education...' hasn't yet seen the end result and yes, maybe compared to the lackluster, ho-hum school district he lives in the opportunities are greater where his kid is currently going to school. For many of us it's just a college tuition for a high school degree. :slightly_frowning_face:
Yes, you are smarter than everyone, and so is your kid. I mean, who else can claim to know how good the HS is in the town where an anonymous poster lives? Such clairvoyance!

anon
My liberal elite buddy here needs to buy a clue. FYI, you don't need to go to a Prep school to go to a D-1 College. Last time I checked, colleges were accepting students from a public high school. Actually, it is quite the norm outside of the New England area but you liberal fools don't get it. You would rather blow $60K for a worthless Prep School Degree that can't get you a job. No thanks, I'll save that money for a REAL college degree that my child can use towards landing his first job.
Ok. Thank you for letting us know.