Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Team “Dads”

Bingo - what I love is how they get indignant when you call them out. They think everyone is stupid.

I blame the coaches. Coaches shouldn’t be talking team ethics with team daddy’s even if they are best friends. But it’s always the Dad’s who’s kids are bubble kids or starting to loss a step that call the coach or want to know all the dirt. And all parents know who the team daddy’s are and some hover around them like there the information super highway of the team because the coach tells them **** he shouldn’t ..I just wish coaches could turn off the daddy connection during the season and let the kids do there job.. but to many coaches are afraid to do that and afraid to cut one of those kids because of the repercussion..it’s just sad. A month away and some team daddy’s kid gonna make the team over a kid that should be there..it’s the nature of the beast. Club hockey. But I won’t call them ball washers more like taint ticklers. Go to your kids games. Sit with your wife or significant other. Watch the game Root for all the kids ..stay out of the locker room and coaches ear and go home after. Very simple hockey parenting

Excellent post. Sports are one of the few places that should be a meritocracy. These Dads steal spots for their kids - which means heartbreak for a kid who earned it.

Come back March 20th and you’ll be able to see all the teams it happened too. Parents will be disgruntled and come here to air out dirty laundry.. it’s sad but some parents have a substantial argument.But it’s out of any parents or kids control. Thank you for a insightful night chatting.

Anon
Excellent post. Sports are one of the few places that should be a meritocracy. These Dads steal spots for their kids - which means heartbreak for a kid who earned it.
Sports is a mirror for life, there is no such thing as a true meritocracy short of professional sports and even then, decisions are made with the bottom line in mind all the time.

If you think it goes away in HS, think again.

We all strive to support our children's dreams and when you get right down to it, that's what these dad's are doing. As long as they don't bad mouth my kid or my family, I simply ignore them.

My issue is intentionally currying favor with the coaches to get you kid the spot out of friendship. LOBBYING FOR YOUR KID DOES NOT BENEFITHIM/HER IN THE LONG RUN AND IT IS UNETHICAL

ANON
My issue is intentionally currying favor with the coaches to get you kid the spot out of friendship. LOBBYING FOR YOUR KID DOES NOT BENEFITHIM/HER IN THE LONG RUN AND IT IS UNETHICAL
I don't think it's unethical at all but not something I would do simply because I never want me kid to be "that kid". The fact that it goes on, I've long since made my piece with. Life is too short to get caught up with distractions that you have zero control over.

In my mind, it's not much different than the half dozen requests I've received from friends over the years asking if I would interview their relative that just graduated from college for a position they are entirely unqualified for.

If you were looking for a car and your friend was a sales manager at a dealership, would it be unethical to ask if he could get you a better deal?

How about the "team dad" that tells kids parents what there bender needs to work on?? Now that is funny. Wonder if the coaches know he does this?:sunglasses:

Asking for a friend...
How about the "team dad" that tells kids parents what there bender needs to work on?? Now that is funny. Wonder if the coaches know he does this?:sunglasses:
We have this dad and he never played the sport.

Anon
Asking for a friend...
How about the \"team dad\" that tells kids parents what there bender needs to work on?? Now that is funny. Wonder if the coaches know he does this?:sunglasses:
We have this dad and he never played the sport.
The same dad that yells from the stands

does not end with select and elite teams...continues into high school...plenty of that going around too!

Thank you for taking away all hope of this going away

sorry, but its true...

I am just curious -- how do coaches think of these shadow coaches (dad with a big mouth)? Do they need an adult company since they only deal with kid? Or they think these dads are also part of evil you have deal with as a youth soprts coach? I am a teacher and am somewhat trained deal with parents. I want to hear comments from coaches..

This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that's sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the "higher ground" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you're getting scared he might get the axe and these guy's kids won't? Or is it that underneath it all you're concerned these guy's benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?

Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that's sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the "higher ground" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you're getting scared he might get the axe and these guy's kids won't? Or is it that underneath it all you're concerned these guy's benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
Have you noticed that most people are worried that if they speak the truth to the coach, their kid tends to suffer the consequences? It's not do&chey at all to come here and discuss it at all in this case. And it shows that this is far too prevalent, a nuisance at the younger levels, and ultimately a waste of time because the $hit$ get knocked around when the hitting around and no one is around on the ice to politic for him. Another poster made a great point: there are kids getting cut or having their ice time reduced at the cost of these kids getting more, rather than developing a team as a whole. That's just poor coaching. And the reduced-ice time kid may quit even though he may have had a future greater than Politicking Dad's kid.

sqwheels
Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that\'s sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the \"higher ground\" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you\'re getting scared he might get the axe and these guy\'s kids won\'t? Or is it that underneath it all you\'re concerned these guy\'s benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
Have you noticed that most people are worried that if they speak the truth to the coach, their kid tends to suffer the consequences? It's not do&chey at all to come here and discuss it at all in this case. And it shows that this is far too prevalent, a nuisance at the younger levels, and ultimately a waste of time because the $hit$ get knocked around when the hitting around and no one is around on the ice to politic for him. Another poster made a great point: there are kids getting cut or having their ice time reduced at the cost of these kids getting more, rather than developing a team as a whole. That's just poor coaching. And the reduced-ice time kid may quit even though he may have had a future greater than Politicking Dad's kid.
You sound hurt.. Has this happened to you?

Anon
sqwheels
Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that\\\'s sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the \\\"higher ground\\\" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you\\\'re getting scared he might get the axe and these guy\\\'s kids won\\\'t? Or is it that underneath it all you\\\'re concerned these guy\\\'s benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
Have you noticed that most people are worried that if they speak the truth to the coach, their kid tends to suffer the consequences? It\'s not do&chey at all to come here and discuss it at all in this case. And it shows that this is far too prevalent, a nuisance at the younger levels, and ultimately a waste of time because the $hit$ get knocked around when the hitting around and no one is around on the ice to politic for him. Another poster made a great point: there are kids getting cut or having their ice time reduced at the cost of these kids getting more, rather than developing a team as a whole. That\'s just poor coaching. And the reduced-ice time kid may quit even though he may have had a future greater than Politicking Dad\'s kid.
You sound hurt.. Has this happened to you?
Nope. Just observant.

Anon
Quick question Mr Anon who calls everyone else cowards for posting anonymously. You don’t happen to have “ Manager” stitched on the sleeve of your team jacket do you? I only ask because I think my 10 year old, who used to look like McDavid, hasn’t been progressing this year. He may be on the bubble and I would like to have an honest conversation about it and was wondering if I go through you to speak to the coach. It does make it easier if that’s the case. Thanks.

Anon
Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that\'s sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the \"higher ground\" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you\'re getting scared he might get the axe and these guy\'s kids won\'t? Or is it that underneath it all you\'re concerned these guy\'s benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
Quick question Mr Anon who calls everyone else cowards for posting anonymously. You don’t happen to have “ Manager” stitched on the sleeve of your team jacket do you? I only ask because I think my 10 year old, who used to look like McDavid, hasn’t been progressing this year. He may be on the bubble and I would like to have an honest conversation about it and was wondering if I go through you to speak to the coach. It does make it easier if that’s the case. Thanks.
I'm not the official or unofficial anything for my kids team. In fact I'm quite sure I do not know any of you because this doesn't sound like his team. What I do know is that I do not respect people who say negative things here or anywhere about someone that they wouldn't say to that person's face. Whomever you are talking about might actualy be a total #!%$ but by posting here you are too. Now you might think I'm an a$$#*!& for putting you right there with him but the difference is I would have no issue saying that to your face. Feel free to post your number. I'll call you and tell you so because I'm not driving just for that.

Anon
Anon
Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that\\\'s sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the \\\"higher ground\\\" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you\\\'re getting scared he might get the axe and these guy\\\'s kids won\\\'t? Or is it that underneath it all you\\\'re concerned these guy\\\'s benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
I'm not the official or unofficial anything for my kids team. In fact I'm quite sure I do not know any of you because this doesn't sound like his team. What I do know is that I do not respect people who say negative things here or anywhere about someone that they wouldn't say to that person's face. Whomever you are talking about might actualy be a total #!%$ but by posting here you are too. Now you might think I'm an a$$#*!& for putting you right there with him but the difference is I would have no issue saying that to your face. Feel free to post your number. I'll call you and tell you so because I'm not driving just for that.
Classic Dboard Tough Guy!

Shall we coin this a new phrase?

CDTG
Anon
Anon
Anon
This is way too funny. Has anyone noticed that a bunch of the posts here are either from the same person or a couple people who organized their efforts. Now that\\\\\\\'s sad. Total cowards. Rather than have an honest conversation with someone and tell them what your thoughts are you chose the \\\\\\\"higher ground\\\\\\\" and post to the dboard. Pretty pathetic and really makes you sound like the true d*!che. So you people moaning have kids on the bubble and you\\\\\\\'re getting scared he might get the axe and these guy\\\\\\\'s kids won\\\\\\\'t? Or is it that underneath it all you\\\\\\\'re concerned these guy\\\\\\\'s benders maybe better players than yours? If not why b!%#th here?
I\'m not the official or unofficial anything for my kids team. In fact I\'m quite sure I do not know any of you because this doesn\'t sound like his team. What I do know is that I do not respect people who say negative things here or anywhere about someone that they wouldn\'t say to that person\'s face. Whomever you are talking about might actualy be a total #!%$ but by posting here you are too. Now you might think I\'m an a$$#*!& for putting you right there with him but the difference is I would have no issue saying that to your face. Feel free to post your number. I\'ll call you and tell you so because I\'m not driving just for that.
Classic Dboard Tough Guy!

Shall we coin this a new phrase?
:joy: No that isn't a dboard tough guy move. I live by these same principals. If I have a problem with the coach, the organization or another parent I have a conversation and take it up with them. Never ceases to amaze me how the spineless talk S!#^ here then go kiss those same people's a$$&$. I think that is a worse problem within the sport than some dad/manager using his network to advance his kid. Hey who am I though? Just some guy on a message board saying that people who talk behind other's backs don't hold higher ground.

Horse crap - I would and have gladly called out these jackasses who appoint themselves as team Dads for their bubble benders. I originally posted this to see if it is only my experience or endemic to youth club hockey. By the number of posts - I see I have hit a nerve. Doesn't make me a coward to call out these people for their unethical asses they are. Let the kids play and let the coaches choose teams based on merit not friendship!

Good! Now we are getting somewhere. I totally agree that teams should be based on merit alone. The part I don't agree with is talking s!#^ on the dboard. So now that we know you are a stand up guy and "have gladly called out these jackasses" you should go do it. Your kid has games this weekend I'm assuming. Go tell them what you think of them. Next time go do that first though. I read the dboard to catch up on parent fights and rediculous behavior. I'm sure I'll be reading about you soon. Good luck.

ANON EHF
Horse crap - I would and have gladly called out these jackasses who appoint themselves as team Dads for their bubble benders. I originally posted this to see if it is only my experience or endemic to youth club hockey. By the number of posts - I see I have hit a nerve. Doesn't make me a coward to call out these people for their unethical asses they are. Let the kids play and let the coaches choose teams based on merit not friendship!
It goes on with every team, and in every sport from Mites through high school. It's best if you realize this now and simply get over your righteous self.

Honestly, you sound like someone who thinks his kid is a stud but can't make the teams you think he should be on because of these "dads" or "Friends of the coach" all of which maybe true but more than likely, your kid isn't nearly as good as you think. Best advice I can give you is to chill, stop worrying about the soap opera's, and enjoy the experiences you have with your child. Life is short, time goes by too quickly and you'll eventually realize that very little of the things you got worked up over had any impact on your players development.

i love these threads. well guess what? EVERY team has bubble players. and considering the amount of moaning here, some have just realized their child is a bubble. so what you are really upset about is 'that parent' realized months ago (what you just found out): they had a good coach, good teammates and their child is not in the top 10 so they 'tipped the scales' by --- wait for it --- BEING HELPFUL. wow what an interesting concept.

coach you have to take 1 more player, either player x with parents that are thankful, helpful and understanding or player y with a parent that is well... not those. its really not even close.

Who's on that "Dream Small" roster?

Sorry you'll be playing in the Lobsterfest instead of going to Toronto

Seriously, you think I would over pay that organization for some crap tournaments so FM and GT can line their pockets - LOL!

Sorry you didn't get invited to play.

Hahaha....How many team dads do you think are getting ****** at other parents on their team thinking they are being called out when really it happens on every team. This post is hilarious! I bet our team dad calls out someone tomorrow at the game over something he assumes someone said on this thread. This is great entertainment.

LOL
Hahaha....How many team dads do you think are getting ****** at other parents on their team thinking they are being called out when really it happens on every team. This post is hilarious! I bet our team dad calls out someone tomorrow at the game over something he assumes someone said on this thread. This is great entertainment.
This is pretty much every single team at every single level in every single sport that involves money and travel. Funny to see people griping about it, obviously their first experience with it all. If your kid is any good, who cares about the other crap?

Anon
Is it me, or does almost every Elite and Tier 1 team have a “self appointed “ team Dad who kisses the coachs’ asses to keep his bubble kid on the team. Show me a team Dad/ administrator and I will show you a kid who shouldn’t be on the team. Summer programs are the same way. Checkout the roster for the 07 “Dream Small” teams. What a farce.
Dream big teams if you look it up have done extremely well in all tournaments (.all good tournaments) they’ve entered. Story your kid got cut

Maybe your kid isn’t good enough to play on dream big ! Great coach and great group of parents

Best team shmoozing can buy