Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cost for U14 half or full season

Trying to figure it out for next season. My son will probably make the JV team. So we could play half season but full season would be a nice option if he isn't playing much and the practices are not that good. I know HS comes first but what are the price differences. Teams do not post prices on websites.

Re: Cost for U14 half or full season

My experiences
1/2 $1,400 - $1,800

Full
tuition: $3,500 - $6,000

Some U14 teams do a number of tournaments around the country & tuition costs do not include hotel/air travel to those tournaments. If you are looking at one of those teams, make sure you factor those costs into the equation as well.

Start with a 1/2 season team. If JV is not great, then every org will have spots open on their full season team.

Above poster is correct. It can be a bit unsettling as a parent and for the player but many U-14 full season teams will be short after high school starts and often spots can be found for very little money for the remainder of the year.

Correction - plenty of BAD FS teams will be looking for players after HS tryouts, because their stronger players will have made varsity. The strongest FS teams are requiring full year commitments. Those teams will stay together all year and will NOT be looking for players after Thanksgiving. Top Gun, PHC, BJR, BJE look to be the strongest FS options

ymous, you are kidding yourself if you actually believe what you typed. I'm assuming you haven't been through this before so let me enlighten you.

They may "require" a commitment, but it doesn't keep kids from moving on. PHC can't stop a kid who made varsity from walking away from the team. As long as the tuition is paid in full, I've fulfilled my contractual obligation as a parent.

Funny but when my kid was a Bantom Minor he played games on the U-14 teams of two of the clubs you mentioned as a free alternate because they simply needed bodies. Also, when that same kid made varsity as a freshman, he walked away from one of those same teams. Yup, I lied to the coach about my son trying out for HS, as did one of his assistant coaches and I know 3 other kids that were trying out for their respective high schools. You do it as a parent as insurance if you don't want the hassle of not only finding an opening (the easy part) but finding an opening with a coach that you think your player will mesh with (the harder part).

Pretty much the only teams that won't be looking to add after high school has begun are teams that field 18 to 20 players or more at the start of the season and load up on "fall-5" kids, in other words, 14 year old 8th graders. If it's the standard 15 kids and 75% or more of the team is in 9th grade, they'll have openings.

There are reasons your bender played on two U-14 teams for free. 1) He wasn't good enough to make a legit full season team that actually cost $$, and 2) those teams were desperate to fill spots because they sucked. I would never want my kid to play on a team that was so hard up for players that they let him play for free.

Sure you and your genius buddies can plunk down $4K for a full-season team and then flush half of that while leaving your teammates and their parents high and dry and lying to your coach. And might I add that's a fine example of accountability you're setting for the boy. When HS hockey is over, and he needs to find his way in the real world, he'll be really well prepared. Maybe you can lie to his college professors or future employer for him too

Flint Rasmussen
There are reasons your bender played on two U-14 teams for free. 1) He wasn't good enough to make a legit full season team that actually cost $$, and 2) those teams were desperate to fill spots because they sucked. I would never want my kid to play on a team that was so hard up for players that they let him play for free.

Sure you and your genius buddies can plunk down $4K for a full-season team and then flush half of that while leaving your teammates and their parents high and dry and lying to your coach. And might I add that's a fine example of accountability you're setting for the boy. When HS hockey is over, and he needs to find his way in the real world, he'll be really well prepared. Maybe you can lie to his college professors or future employer for him too
Why did you post your question on the Kiddie Board? You're not going to want to follow advice about HS hockey from people that haven't been through it.

Any Freshman that is hedging his bets for Varsity goes to a school whose Varsity team sucks. But, Mommy and Daddy get to say Johnny made Varsity as a Freshman.

If the HS team were good he wouldn't be able to make the team, or at least he won't be getting significant ice time. Couple of shifts, if it's a decent MIAA team.

If the kid were any good he wouldn't even WANT to make his HS team. He'd be playing for a top FS team, or a Natty Bound halfie, and then playing at LEAST CC, if not Prep.

If those aren't options then he should join a FS team for the development and continuity. But, Mommy and Daddy are afraid the all powerful HS coach will hold it against their bender.

HS hockey is dead. It's been in all the papers. It's where "elite" players go to die. Mommy and Daddy need to come to grips with that, even if it means the neighbors are whispering.

Anon
Flint Rasmussen

Why did you post your question on the Kiddie Board? You're not going to want to follow advice about HS hockey from people that haven't been through it.

Any Freshman that is hedging his bets for Varsity goes to a school whose Varsity team sucks. But, Mommy and Daddy get to say Johnny made Varsity as a Freshman.

If the HS team were good he wouldn't be able to make the team, or at least he won't be getting significant ice time. Couple of shifts, if it's a decent MIAA team.

If the kid were any good he wouldn't even WANT to make his HS team. He'd be playing for a top FS team, or a Natty Bound halfie, and then playing at LEAST CC, if not Prep.

If those aren't options then he should join a FS team for the development and continuity. But, Mommy and Daddy are afraid the all powerful HS coach will hold it against their bender.

HS hockey is dead. It's been in all the papers. It's where "elite" players go to die. Mommy and Daddy need to come to grips with that, even if it means the neighbors are whispering.
I've been through it, one out, two still in HS and one more PW Major this year.

IMHO the OP has received fairly good advice to date.

It's great that you think HS is dead and that anyone who is worthy is off playing full season. Some kids still play the game for the enjoyment of it, work hard & move on to prep with a repeat junior year, yes even from HS teams.

I know plenty of people like you that believe playing FS is the best way to deliver on the dreams you and your player share, not going to bash you for that. I will point out that of the dozen or so I know, all of their kids ended up in a crappy Tier-III Junior league, either ageing out our on their last year of eligibility. Since you've been through this before, you know what the means, right? Yup, 21 year old freshman playing club or adult league. Nothing wrong with that but it's not for everyone.

Here is my 2 cents on the subject, at 14 if a CC, prep, or similar isn't trying to recruit your kid, he's 95% not going to play beyond HS. If you want to pay for the improved development of FS, that is your choice. Just don't think that your kid is getting extra exposure or is going to end up some place that his talent would have taken him without FS.