email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mask while playing

anon
Mouth covering only needed during faceoff not during actual play. Though it sucks to have to rip it down after the faceoff.
Not the way I read it:

"Minimize Intermittent Contact: Game situations that result in intermittent close physical or face-to-face contact must be modified or eliminated, including: restarts, faceoffs, throw-ins, scrums for the ball/puck, or similar activities. These activities may be allowed if face masks are used during contact (e.g., face-offs could take place with face masks worn by each player involved)." (Emphasis mine.)

Considering how much of youth hockey could be considered "scrums for the puck," I think the interpretation HAS to be that masks will be necessary at all times. But that's just my interpretation...

Anon
being playing pond hockey tournaments for years wearing gaiters when the wind chill is -10, what's the big deal with just wearing a gaiter to comply, that way they can play games?
I know a lot of schools are not allowing gaitors. Not sure if hockey will follow suit. I guess they are not that effective for whatever reason.

ummmm
Check out players at cold outdoor rinks in the Northwest or Canada. Scarves or gaiters over mouths while playing....

Military wears neck gaiters/cold weather masks all the time in training and combat and they aren't choking..

Sorry if you little Johnny can't be uncomfortable or that mommy is mad she can't get a good picture.
Well there is this also....https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/neck-gaiters-for-covid-19-worse-than-no-face-covering-at-all
Folks we just cant win

Kid just played 8 games up in NH over the past few weeks plus lots of skills in RI over the last few months. No face masks on the ice and no covid... strange how that works... we’ve become such nation of WAP’s...

I heard a message went out that anyone that played in Exeter NH or Crommell CT should get tested.

Why get tested? Fight the power....

Crowell CT rink has been closed for over 3 weeks due to catastrophic mechanical failure...which is well past the 14 quarantine period.

Anon
I heard a message went out that anyone that played in Exeter NH or Crommell CT should get tested.
BS

NH - Live free and die of covid. haaaaaaa

Anon
Wearing a mask while playing is not going to work. The paper masks get wet from sweat and essentially cover your mouth in a way where you can’t breath at all. Gaiters have been proven to be basically useless. Has anyone tried any kind of physical strenuous exercise wearing a mask? It’s close to impossible to breath and wear one. This is a no-go in my book.
See people running with them all over the place. I’m too fat but they look to handle it well.

Winter ski mask works fine on the outdoor ponds. If your little bender can't wear it for his normal 45 second shift (4 minutes if coaches kid) than dont play. Everyone else wear a ski mask on the ice and you can play.

All the winter ski mask comparisons are absurd. No comparison, especially since you are not wearing a properly fitted hockey helmet and a mouthpiece. Oh yeah, the only thing that matters is COVID-19, who cares about concussions as a result of the helmets being loosened to accommodate masks and gaiters, and the kids cannot wear their mouthguard.

Anon
All the winter ski mask comparisons are absurd. No comparison, especially since you are not wearing a properly fitted hockey helmet and a mouthpiece. Oh yeah, the only thing that matters is COVID-19, who cares about concussions as a result of the helmets being loosened to accommodate masks and gaiters, and the kids cannot wear their mouthguard.
You do realize they make thin ski masks that will fit your benders head inside of his helmet. Your kids helmet has straps make sure they are tight especially the chin. If they are too uncomfortable don't play.

Ski mask won't allow my little guy to show off the spaghetti flow he has grown. Your duster is going to be happy about the ski mask, it will help him to keep warm while sitting on the bench.

Anon
Ski mask won't allow my little guy to show off the spaghetti flow he has grown. Your duster is going to be happy about the ski mask, it will help him to keep warm while sitting on the bench.
Good point coach. Looking forward to your kids 4 minute shifts and double powerplay attempts even though he's not scoring.