The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is this - are other rinks allowing it?

Anon
It said cohorts of groups of 10.

Also said 25 total participants on a playing surface , so if two teams both have 15 kids that’s 30 total. Need to cut kids to get to smaller teams.
Is the bench considered the playing surface if not then I’ll set

>Is the bench considered the playing surface if not then I’ll set.

Of course you're all set. Your kid will never get a sniff of the playing surface while safely hugging pine on the bench.

A typical bench is about 20-25 feet long. So this allows for at most one unit of 5 on the bench spaced 6' apart.

For youth hockey simply rolling lines this can be done if the 5 man unit coming off ice rotates to the walkway, the walkway unit of 5 goes to the bench and the bench goes to the ice. Sucks but could work.

This will NOT work with older players where line matching is key and individual player ice time is more directed.

anon
A typical bench is about 20-25 feet long. So this allows for at most one unit of 5 on the bench spaced 6' apart.

For youth hockey simply rolling lines this can be done if the 5 man unit coming off ice rotates to the walkway, the walkway unit of 5 goes to the bench and the bench goes to the ice. Sucks but could work.

This will NOT work with older players where line matching is key and individual player ice time is more directed.
The rules are impractical on a number of fronts. Basically, they establish a framework. Different sports now need to figure out how to operate within the spirit of the rules and ask for adaptations and interpretations. It's similar to when the SEC or IRS come out with a new regulation.

Be interesting to hear what MA Hockey says tonight. Of course, no matter what they say, it will lead to a bunch of hand-wringing and misinformation being spread here.

We have a month plus to figure it all out. And we will figure it all out.

Anon
anon
A typical bench is about 20-25 feet long. So this allows for at most one unit of 5 on the bench spaced 6\' apart.

The rules are impractical on a number of fronts. Basically, they establish a framework. Different sports now need to figure out how to operate within the spirit of the rules and ask for adaptations and interpretations. It's similar to when the SEC or IRS come out with a new regulation.

Be interesting to hear what MA Hockey says tonight. Of course, no matter what they say, it will lead to a bunch of hand-wringing and misinformation being spread here.

love your optimism but there has to be a bit of flexibility from the powers that be if this is going to work on any level. If they insist on masks for face offs, on the bench and 6' between players on the bench I don't see much of a hockey season starting. Certainly not for older kids. Hockey is a game of speed not just skating but face offs, line changes, etc. The rules currently in place completely prevent that from happening. You have to remember a sizable portion of the population wants pretty much all of society still in lock down and are not sympathetic to the problems facing youth sports. And those people seem to have the ear of the decision makers.

This is simply Bakers way of saying fine, you want hockey here you go. Make it work or not.

How it is interpreted and then enforced is a whole other matter.

Put masks on the kids and let them skate. Intermittent contact and faceoffs are allowed with masks on. So puck battles, pinching kids off all work this way. Checking does not.

Isn't it then just no check hockey with face masks? Rinks have to expand benches which could work in 75% of the rinks I go to.

Deal with it or don't play. You make the call for your kids.

"Oh but little Johnny can't play that way." Than make him stay at home. Deal with it you whiner/wiener.

Anon
Anon
anon
A typical bench is about 20-25 feet long. So this allows for at most one unit of 5 on the bench spaced 6\\\' apart.

The rules are impractical on a number of fronts. Basically, they establish a framework. Different sports now need to figure out how to operate within the spirit of the rules and ask for adaptations and interpretations. It\'s similar to when the SEC or IRS come out with a new regulation.

love your optimism but there has to be a bit of flexibility from the powers that be if this is going to work on any level. If they insist on masks for face offs, on the bench and 6' between players on the bench I don't see much of a hockey season starting. Certainly not for older kids. Hockey is a game of speed not just skating but face offs, line changes, etc. The rules currently in place completely prevent that from happening. You have to remember a sizable portion of the population wants pretty much all of society still in lock down and are not sympathetic to the problems facing youth sports. And those people seem to have the ear of the decision makers.
So, what if the interpretation is that a bubble counts as a face mask?

Did you know that Bauer announced a "splash guard" attachment that is to be released this month?

Doesn't that make the face-off problem go away? Can it answer the contact-in-the-corner question?

Some people look at issues and see problems. I look at issues and see solutions.

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
A typical bench is about 20-25 feet long. So this allows for at most one unit of 5 on the bench spaced 6\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' apart.

The rules are impractical on a number of fronts. Basically, they establish a framework. Different sports now need to figure out how to operate within the spirit of the rules and ask for adaptations and interpretations. It\\\\\\\'s similar to when the SEC or IRS come out with a new regulation.

love your optimism but there has to be a bit of flexibility from the powers that be if this is going to work on any level. If they insist on masks for face offs, on the bench and 6\\\' between players on the bench I don\\\'t see much of a hockey season starting. Certainly not for older kids. Hockey is a game of speed not just skating but face offs, line changes, etc. The rules currently in place completely prevent that from happening. You have to remember a sizable portion of the population wants pretty much all of society still in lock down and are not sympathetic to the problems facing youth sports. And those people seem to have the ear of the decision makers.
So, what if the interpretation is that a bubble counts as a face mask?

Did you know that Bauer announced a \"splash guard\" attachment that is to be released this month?

Doesn\'t that make the face-off problem go away? Can it answer the contact-in-the-corner question?

Some people look at issues and see problems. I look at issues and see solutions.
I haven't seen that splash guard come out yet and I'm not optimistic it would be available on a wide enough scale to equip every kid in youth hockey for the start of the season. The full face shield has an opening on the bottom specifically for breathing so that's not going to be accepted as suitable PPE.

Not sure where you see "solutions" in all of this? What evidence do you see that state or local government is going to let you obey some rules and modify others? They want compliance and teams and rink owners don't want the liability of letting people skirt the rules just to have games.

Everyone is also ignoring the elephant in the room of what happens when a couple of kids test positive which most certainly will occur. Full team quarantines? Rink closures for disinfecting? Going to be hard to have a season with any consistency if these things happen.

Don't get me wrong. I want my son to play this season but to think we're going to take these new rules and soldier on with almost no hiccups is wishful thinking, IMO.

Guess I'm just a pessimist.

1) Will the Bauer splashguard meet the state requirement for a face covering?

2) Will it actually do anything to prevent the spread of COVID? ( Not that most people on this board care about this latter question)

3) When will it be available, if at all?

Just put all the elite kids in a bubble. We must protect the future of the nhl. 💤💤💤

Anon

2) Will it actually do anything to prevent the spread of COVID? ( Not that most people on this board care about this latter question)

1. That needs to be determined.

2. That needs to be determined.

3. They said August in June.

Anon
Anon

It's the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren't even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.

Anon
Anon
Anon

It's the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren't even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.
And that means....what, definitively?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

It\'s the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren\'t even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.
What it means most likely is that it’s not ready yet. Maybe there are issues with the shield fogging up too easily or it’s hard to breathe through? I just think if this thing was a guaranteed God-send they would be promoting it with a release date at the top of their website.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

It\\\'s the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren\\\'t even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.
What it means most likely is that it’s not ready yet. Maybe there are issues with the shield fogging up too easily or it’s hard to breathe through? I just think if this thing was a guaranteed God-send they would be promoting it with a release date at the top of their website.
And you know this....how?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm also not saying you're right. I'm saying you're totally guessing and have nothing factual to back your opinion up.

And you know what they say about opinions.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

It\\\\\\\'s the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren\\\\\\\'t even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm also not saying you're right. I'm saying you're totally guessing and have nothing factual to back your opinion up.

Uh, I went on their website and there’s no mention of the splash guard. That’s not my opinion it’s a fact. I have no idea when it’s coming out or how well it will work but I didn’t claim to.

Not sure why you’re upset?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the middle of August and if you go on the Bauer website they aren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t even promoting it yet. Nothing since the initial announcement in June.

I\'m not saying you\'re wrong. I\'m also not saying you\'re right. I\'m saying you\'re totally guessing and have nothing factual to back your opinion up.

Uh, I went on their website and there’s no mention of the splash guard. That’s not my opinion it’s a fact. I have no idea when it’s coming out or how well it will work but I didn’t claim to.

Not sure why you’re upset?
Not upset in the least. You seem to be someone that likes to jump to conclusions based on limited facts. Again.

What I am saying is you’re full of ****. You assume that because of A and B it must be C. It could be D.

Example: The company I work for is the world leader in COVID test kits. We didn’t announce we had millions ready to go until we got the EUA, which created the demand. Why? We had nothing to gain. We knew that as soon as the EUA was issued by the FDA every kit would be sold. So, why jump the gun? There was no competitive advantage to be gained.

I’m not saying that is what is driving Bauer’s thinking. I’m simply saying the fact there’s nothing on their website could be a false negative.