Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refs

Anon
anon
Anon
Has anyone checked in on the refs to see how excited they are about coming back to work?

I am hearing assigners are getting a lot of push back and the older refs are not going to ref.

Could you blame them? Crazy parents screaming at 7am mite games and now being worried about their health.

Based upon some conversations I\'ve had with fellow officials, I expect MA Hockey to have a tough go of it. I have already told the assignors I work with that if I come back, I\'ll only work NH until I see how things are playing out in our beloved Commonwealth. Coaches and parents are already annoying enough, I can only imagine how much fun it\'ll be this year.
Oh, geez, ANOTHER reason to hate the ******* refs.

Grow a pair, would ya please? You're worse than Tall Duval!
First, it's not my job. I have a full time job that I make far more per day than I do pulling six games on a weekend. I ref because I enjoy the game, it helps keep in in shape, and it gets me away from the wife for a few hours. I live on the border, so rinks in NH & MA are nearly equal distance, giving me a choice.

I listened to the chat last evening and I don't have to play the social distance cop, the coach is going to be responsible until they aren't. Kids aren't supposed to remove their helmets while sitting on the bench & coaches are supposed to monitor that yet at least 15 times a year I've got to yell at some squirt sitting on the bench to put his helmet back on. It would probably be more but I only work 25 or so squirt games a year. I'm 100% sure by week three, ref's will be adding social distancing and mask police to their job descriptions. Oh, and since I don't recall this being covered last night, what are the rules regarding the sneeze guards that companies are starting to come out with? Am I supposed to determine if that is an acceptable covering? I can live with no checking, not hard to adjust but am I sounding the whistle when a kids gaiter/mask falls below his nose? I'm supposed to be quick with the whistle on a puck battle, what is quick for Midgets, is it the same for Pee Wee, etc.?

Lastly, the guidelines as written will require everyone to check in so MA can trace. That means if parent tests positive a few days after watching their kid play, everyone, including coaches, will have to quarantine for two weeks. This is the guideline that will keep me from working games in MA at the beginning of the season. I expect this is also the first guideline that rinks will ignore. Much like when youth baseball returned, I saw health inspectors stopping by fields on a regular basis every weekend, I would expect they'll do the same at the rinks so I don't think those guidelines will be ignored for long.

So my choices are A) to work a games in NH that are roughly the same travel time from my house as the MA rinks I work, do it without a mask which I hate wearing, and without having to alter how I've called games for a decade. B) Work games in MA with altered rules, end up playing mask cop, and be subject to a two week quarantine when Karen, who didn't come within 100' of me, tests positive. Since I get paid the same regardless of choice, I'll take NH to start the season.

Now if that means I don't have a pair, that's fine with me. I'm sure your used to your opinion being ignored when you ***** while shaking the fries at your job.

Re: Refs

Anon
Has anyone checked in on the refs to see how excited they are about coming back to work?

I am hearing assigners are getting a lot of push back and the older refs are not going to ref.

Could you blame them? Crazy parents screaming at 7am mite games and now being worried about their health.

with what happened with that NH coach going mike tyson on the ref, who on this board absolutely hates, who can blame the refs for not coming back? you think covid is cancelling games? how about no refs? 4k tuition for skills, off-ice training for the whole season.