Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Checking allowed out of state

Bantam parent here. Are there any other 07 parents that are a bit concerned that our boys will miss the opportunity to check and be checked this year? Our team has practiced checking in practice last year, but live game action vs an opponent is valuable to learn how to protect yourself and learn body control.

What happens next year when they are in high school? 1v1 against an 17-18 year old (without checking experience) is a bigger concern of mine than COVID19.

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn't really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

*But i guess some of my concerns are thwarted because centers will be wearing masks for faceoffs. Thank God for that rule.

Iceman
Bantam parent here. Are there any other 07 parents that are a bit concerned that our boys will miss the opportunity to check and be checked this year? Our team has practiced checking in practice last year, but live game action vs an opponent is valuable to learn how to protect yourself and learn body control.

What happens next year when they are in high school? 1v1 against an 17-18 year old (without checking experience) is a bigger concern of mine than COVID19.

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn\'t really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

*But i guess some of my concerns are thwarted because centers will be wearing masks for faceoffs. Thank God for that rule.
Don't forget about the dress you kid is wearing too

My checking account is from CT.

Anon
Iceman

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn\\\'t really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

Don't forget about the dress you kid is wearing too
Awesome, either your kid is destined for the nhl or he's not an 07. Grow up.

This is a major problem. Not sure why people aren't taking this seriously. This will be a problem for 07 kids.

Iceman
Anon
Iceman

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn\\\\\\\'t really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

Don\'t forget about the dress you kid is wearing too

This is a major problem. Not sure why people aren't taking this seriously. This will be a problem for 07 kids.

Thanks Karen. You already said that.

Iceman
Anon
Iceman

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn\\\\\\\'t really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

We're not taking it seriously because many of us have already been through this and know more is made out of it than needs to be. Checking does not take a poor player and make him good, although it will take a small percentage of good players and make them useless, I'm talking about less than 5% of the good players. If he has been coached well up until this point, he'll adapt. If he's one of the small percentage of kids that can't deal with checking, everyone but you will know that within a handful of games next year.

If these rules last the season, yes your kid is missing out on learning how to take a check, where is danger areas are, etc. Relax and realize kids adapt quickly. Give him a couple of tournament games next summer and a half season team & he'll be fine with how the game is played under USA Hockey guidelines.

Now when he gets to high school, he'll figure out that everything is different. There is no requirement to be playing the puck before delivering the hit, late hits don't exist for most officials and the automatic penalty given to the big guy hitting the little guy is a thing of the past. IMHO, you are actually concentrating on the wrong thing. If you want to give your player the best chance to standout as a freshman, get someone that will teach him to battle along the boards, without fear of size. More often than not, that is the #1 problem for 9th graders. If the puck is along the boards, they are trying to dig for the puck with their sticks standing 3 feet off the boards. Not only is this not effective, it's dangerous.

Good luck this season and don't worry about it. It really isn't all that big of a deal.

anon
Iceman
Anon
Iceman

In my opinion, this is a serious issue. Obviously it doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t really matter this year, but it WILL matter next year. I think it is pivotal to learn these skills vs kids your own age before moving up and challenging kids 3-4 years older.

Don\\\'t forget about the dress you kid is wearing too
Awesome, either your kid is destined for the nhl or he\'s not an 07. Grow up.

This is a major problem. Not sure why people aren\'t taking this seriously. This will be a problem for 07 kids.

We're not taking it seriously because many of us have already been through this and know more is made out of it than needs to be. Checking does not take a poor player and make him good, although it will take a small percentage of good players and make them useless, I'm talking about less than 5% of the good players. If he has been coached well up until this point, he'll adapt. If he's one of the small percentage of kids that can't deal with checking, everyone but you will know that within a handful of games next year.

If these rules last the season, yes your kid is missing out on learning how to take a check, where is danger areas are, etc. Relax and realize kids adapt quickly. Give him a couple of tournament games next summer and a half season team & he'll be fine with how the game is played under USA Hockey guidelines.

Now when he gets to high school, he'll figure out that everything is different. There is no requirement to be playing the puck before delivering the hit, late hits don't exist for most officials and the automatic penalty given to the big guy hitting the little guy is a thing of the past. IMHO, you are actually concentrating on the wrong thing. If you want to give your player the best chance to standout as a freshman, get someone that will teach him to battle along the boards, without fear of size. More often than not, that is the #1 problem for 9th graders. If the puck is along the boards, they are trying to dig for the puck with their sticks standing 3 feet off the boards. Not only is this not effective, it's dangerous.

Good luck this season and don't worry about it. It really isn't all that big of a deal.
What a valuable answer. A rarity around these parts. I appreciate the insight. Thank you

Iceman
Anon
Iceman

Agree. I would have liked to see MA Hockey or even FED issue some guidelines for coaches. The good 07 coaches will worry about this and find ways to work with kids to ready them. But unfortunately there are a lot of coaches who won’t care.

I am so confused by the new rules. Is checking allowed in practice? The rules are only for games? Do we have to line kids up six feet apart for drills? What about off ice stuff?

Anon
I am so confused by the new rules. Is checking allowed in practice? The rules are only for games? Do we have to line kids up six feet apart for drills? What about off ice stuff?
Take your kid out of hockey. Now. He’s ******* up all the drills if he takes after you.

Nobody that’s that stupid should be breeding.

Anon
Anon
Take your kid out of hockey. Now. He’s ******* up all the drills if he takes after you.

Nobody that’s that stupid should be breeding.
Look out. The internet tough guy showed up. Nothing like hiding behind a keyboard. I think the post was legit. There are no rules for practice. Take it Deep