Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: tryout results.....

The hated ones and loved ones are contacted right away.... the middle bender children get forgotten

I would agree with the above statement. I have seen it where some kids didnt even show up for the tryouts but are still being offered a spot. It's open season on bubble players or wannabes, unfortunately.

Anon
I would agree with the above statement. I have seen it where some kids didnt even show up for the tryouts but are still being offered a spot. It's open season on bubble players or wannabes, unfortunately.
Do most teams let you know either way or do they only notify those they want from the tryouts and leave the rest hanging?

If you are not being considered at all, they usually let you know rather quickly and of course the kids they want to lock up get player contracts sent out immediately, the kids left hanging are the waiting list--you should have a pretty good idea if your kid was near the top of that waiting list. If not, you can assume the inevitable "sorry your kid got cut"

if you dont have a contract now, time for plan B

The whole process sux.

Anon
The whole process sux.
Only if you tried out for one team. I trust you will not apply to just one college, when the time comes.

anon
if you dont have a contract now, time for plan B
Dude, these kids are way too old for the morning after pill.

Anon
Anon
I would agree with the above statement. I have seen it where some kids didnt even show up for the tryouts but are still being offered a spot. It\'s open season on bubble players or wannabes, unfortunately.
Do most teams let you know either way or do they only notify those they want from the tryouts and leave the rest hanging?
All teams have a core group who they've checked in with before the end of the season and either confirmed their intent to stick around or gone as far as issuing contracts. Then, if there's room for more players, after tryouts they call the players in the order of preference and try to secure commitments and deposits. If one of their picks doesn't commit they move down the line. In the end, a good team will notify everyone one way or the other. If you have't gotten a call 2-12 hours after the tryout you are not at the top of the list but other players might not commit leaving room for you an others. If it's been 24 hours without a call your plan B should be fully dusted off.

My question is why do you have him tryout for a team that you dont think he can make? If he's not a top player for that team or level then why bother? He probably wont play much even if he does make the team, wont have fun or get better, and you'll just spend the season *********
Waiting for results in youth hockey is stupid. It should be obvious if he belongs.

You have him tryout because the coach said he was interested. Even had him practice with the team. Coach said he would make final evals during tryouts. Thinking now he was building up safety stock for himself.

What’s the norm communication wise when cut?

Form text?

Phone call?

Email?

Understood it’s not easy for coaches - what’s the right follow up?

We had a coach once who never said anything to the kids who didn’t make it. That’s how you found out. When there was zero communication for days.

Every organization and coach is different. A quick no is always best, but that's not what's top of mind for coaches, they want to lock-up the best benders, their friends, friends of the other coaches. If you have not heard anything 24 hours after first tryout, you are on the waiting list.

Some teams tell the better players to stay home after the first or second tryout so they can focus more on the bubble benders and wannabes. One work out can make a difference of popping the bubble or the wannabe showing he belongs.

Which organizations don’t cut kids but just make more teams to collect more dough? 💵
Maybe your bender needs that team??

Mr. Obvious, it is not that obvious if a zillion kids tried out for maybe 1-3 spots. At tryouts, the middle 60% looks very similar.

Anon
Any club teams out there letting kids and parents hang for days before giving the axe or a contract to any players??? :ice_hockey_stick_and_puck:
How long have you been in club hockey? The coaches have their teams all set by mid Feb latest, always. They have already made deals with players parents they want to bring in, negotiations etc. The try outs aren't real, all the players they want have contracts before the try outs. Always been that way

A
Anon
Any club teams out there letting kids and parents hang for days before giving the axe or a contract to any players??? :ice_hockey_stick_and_puck:
How long have you been in club hockey? The coaches have their teams all set by mid Feb latest, always. They have already made deals with players parents they want to bring in, negotiations etc. The try outs aren't real, all the players they want have contracts before the try outs. Always been that way
95 percent right but the tryouts are real. They’re just typically for only 1 or 2 spots where bubble kids haven’t been offered and coaches want to see if someone out there has developed under the radar, relocated, etc.

Tryouts are a moneygrab. everything is picked long before tryouts. any potential adds come from friends of friends of coach or coaches kid. There could be a great skater at tryouts and no spot for him but the organization won’t have the balls to tell you that there are no spots open. Lots of bad kids get put on teams they have no reason being on just because someone knows someone or is friends with someone. For the organization, it doesn’t matter, $ is $, doesn’t increase or decrease if the kid is good or bad.

No, my bender didn’t get cut.

How does it work for girls teams? When a kid moves up to an older age group, there are usually 2-3 teams. I guess the top team is already hand picked with mostly older players who have played at least one year with the club and some recruited players. What about the middle and bottom teams?

Unlike boys club hockey which has a top team for each year/age, the girls teams are in two year bands like town hockey, so 11&12s on 12U, 13s&14s on 14U, and 15s&16s on 16U. For the better orgs, the top team (Tier 1) is is usually made up of mostly the best, older girls for the age band and the second team (Tier II). As an example, for U14, it is usually the org's best 14s on the 14U, and the top U13s primarily comprise the second team at U14 level. Obviously there are a few exceptions where some 13s are so good where they will be be on the top 14U team. So basically, the girls flip flop between the top and second team every other year coming up the ladder. Normally the larger orgs are unlikey to keep more than a couple of the older kids on the second level team because they want to keep their best younger age kids as they will be likely be on the Tier 1 team the next season. Basically, they want to keep the age group together so they are strong their first year in band at Tier II and they strong again in second year as Tier 1, with only the exceptional players being on Tier 1 both years.

So overall, it is normal for very good players to be on the second level team every other year. For the better, bigger orgs the top tier is Tier 1 and plays in the Tier 1 state tourney and national if they qualify. The second level team is Tier II and plays in the Tier 2 level state tourney and nationals. Some smaller orgs only have Tier II teams. Orgs with can only send one team to Tier 1 states and one team to Tier 2 states, so those are typically the statebound and national bound teams. All teams below that are not eligible for states/nationals. As such, third teams are basically whatever mix of age kids they can find to fill the team.

Here is a little insight from the other side.

Lots of the posts are spot on. Cant paint all tryouts with the same brush, as coaches and individual teams have different needs and different styles.

I can tell you this. If i had communication (I initiated the communication) with a family prior to tryout and told that family to come to tryout it was a done deal that I was taking that kid.

If i had a family reach out to me (they initiated communication) I would have an honest communication of what are needs are (ie - everyone is coming back but one and there are one or two spots available). If I knew the kid and family and I knew they would not make the team I would be honest. I tell them that I have had a few kids who are interested in those spots that would be ahead of your kid. If these kids came to tryouts I would contact them within a few days and tell them that I didn't have room and in some cases help and facilitate their transition to another team or program.

If I had a family show up that I personally know at tryouts with no prior communication that didn't have a chance of making team I would contact them and tell them and also help facilitate a transition elsewhere. I owe them that contact as I know them and will see them in the future.

If someone shows up at tryouts, I don't know them, and have had no communication either before during or after tryouts, then they fond out they didn't make it by never hearing from me.

You guys forget that they tryout info states that you will be contacted by the team if awarded a spot, it does not, at least in our case, say that we will contact you if you didn't make it. In fact it specifically states that you will be contacted within 48 hours if you have been selected.

remember, a coach owes you nothing if you randomly show up at a tryout. Just like the family owes the team or coach nothing in this situation.

I have had a coach reach out to me in January to bring my kid skate with the team, showed interest, said come to tryouts and then blindsided us by not taking him... No one got contracts before tryouts, just verbal commitments, some were valid, others not.... If you do not sign a player agreement (or electronically register these days) before tryouts - go to any and all tryouts because you may not be on the team. Many a kid has been burned by a bad communicating coach...

Hi "Other side",
Are you talking mostly younger kids like 12U and under or older? I ask because I see a lot of reaching out and communicating for second year mite through pee wee but it seems like a lot of kids randomly try out for U15, U16, etc. randomly and there is more movement given all the half year teams, high school, etc.
Thanks coach

You are somewhat correct. I have stuck with the same process through u 16, u18, and even tournament teams though.

The communication is not as important at the older ages. As most parents and kids don’t have the anxiety associated with the younger years. And they self awareness is sometimes a little better.

There are lots of teams and lists of movement in some cases at the older ages. Kids show up just to get ice or compare themselves to a certain team.

Kids start having influences from high school and prep coaches or people advising them, but at the end of the day the players and families have realized that the team isn’t important and as long as they are playing it’s fine, as most are doing skills outside the program or strength and conditioning elsewhere.

Basically the lack of communication at those older levels is either finally av wired by parents or not that concerning.

Don’t get me wrong. Coaches are still trying to finagle all the way through u18. I think my kid was invited to a dozen tryouts his 16 year.