Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let’s extend the season yay

Jeez guys. Just new to the Northeast. How are the numbers around here when it comes to players in D1? Drafted? Maybe the northeast is on to something.

ASB
Anon
Wtf is wrong with hockey parents? Must be the dumbest group of adults in the world. We just played a 7 month long season and we have parents looking for skills sessions, skating clinics, talking about tournaments all spring. Got benders looking to get on the skating treadmill hahahaha. Give it a rest. Your going to ruin it for your kid
You are in idiot. It’s not our problem your kid wants to kick a soccer ball with other kids in short shorts.
Soccer? Where did I say my son play’s soccer? Idiot.

Anon
Wtf is wrong with hockey parents? Must be the dumbest group of adults in the world. We just played a 7 month long season and we have parents looking for skills sessions, skating clinics, talking about tournaments all spring. Got benders looking to get on the skating treadmill hahahaha. Give it a rest. Your going to ruin it for your kid
Assuming you're genuinely curious for a sec: there are actually kids who would play hockey all year if they could. I have two kids. My older one is done with hockey at the end of the season in March. Doesn't put on skates until the end of August when team practices start again. My younger is champing at the bit between the end of the regular season and the start of spring hockey practices, tournaments, and summer teams. Eager to hit the ice again after just two weeks off. Same house, same parents, same food ... different kids. I'm glad there are hockey offerings for my younger kid in the off-season and glad there's baseball for my older one.

Anon
Anon
Assuming you're genuinely curious for a sec: there are actually kids who would play hockey all year if they could. I have two kids. My older one is done with hockey at the end of the season in March. Doesn't put on skates until the end of August when team practices start again. My younger is champing at the bit between the end of the regular season and the start of spring hockey practices, tournaments, and summer teams. Eager to hit the ice again after just two weeks off. Same house, same parents, same food ... different kids. I'm glad there are hockey offerings for my younger kid in the off-season and glad there's baseball for my older one.
I'm in the same boat. This past weekend my 8 year old was telling me how much he missed playing with his teammates, and begging me to dig out his rollerblades and feed him one-timers. I had to break it to him that my d-board advisors and the "Rink Shrinks" insist that we spend our weekends picking boogers in the outfield and hoping for 3 at bats.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Assuming you\'re genuinely curious for a sec: there are actually kids who would play hockey all year if they could. I have two kids. My older one is done with hockey at the end of the season in March. Doesn\'t put on skates until the end of August when team practices start again. My younger is champing at the bit between the end of the regular season and the start of spring hockey practices, tournaments, and summer teams. Eager to hit the ice again after just two weeks off. Same house, same parents, same food ... different kids. I\'m glad there are hockey offerings for my younger kid in the off-season and glad there\'s baseball for my older one.
I'm in the same boat. This past weekend my 8 year old was telling me how much he missed playing with his teammates, and begging me to dig out his rollerblades and feed him one-timers. I had to break it to him that my d-board advisors and the "Rink Shrinks" insist that we spend our weekends picking boogers in the outfield and hoping for 3 at bats.
FOMO is a real thing. Nobody is saying dont rollerblade buddy. Dumbo.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Assuming you\\\'re genuinely curious for a sec: there are actually kids who would play hockey all year if they could. I have two kids. My older one is done with hockey at the end of the season in March. Doesn\\\'t put on skates until the end of August when team practices start again. My younger is champing at the bit between the end of the regular season and the start of spring hockey practices, tournaments, and summer teams. Eager to hit the ice again after just two weeks off. Same house, same parents, same food ... different kids. I\\\'m glad there are hockey offerings for my younger kid in the off-season and glad there\\\'s baseball for my older one.
I\'m in the same boat. This past weekend my 8 year old was telling me how much he missed playing with his teammates, and begging me to dig out his rollerblades and feed him one-timers. I had to break it to him that my d-board advisors and the \"Rink Shrinks\" insist that we spend our weekends picking boogers in the outfield and hoping for 3 at bats.
FOMO is a real thing. Nobody is saying dont rollerblade buddy. Dumbo.
Maybe you are the dumb one here and missed the rest of his post and the entire point of it because it wasn’t about rollerblading. His kid wants to play hockey. Lots of them do. Who cares? Mine also misses it after about two weeks off.

Anon
My little bendarino doesn't stop skating all year. he is 9 and doesn't want to. why would I discourage that. He know baseball is for Home Moes and would rather stick handle in the basement and hang out with his squadron and play tournaments and do skills. If your little Bieber was good at math and excelled would you tell him to take a break and stop and go do some crafts? That is the equivalent of what you are saying.

ASB
Anon
My little bendarino doesn't stop skating all year. he is 9 and doesn't want to. why would I discourage that. He know baseball is for Home Moes and would rather stick handle in the basement and hang out with his squadron and play tournaments and do skills. If your little Bieber was good at math and excelled would you tell him to take a break and stop and go do some crafts? That is the equivalent of what you are saying.
I think what people are sayin is there is a benefit when the parent is also the adult in the relationship. Sure street hockey is more fun than school so...why make them go to school? Hey 3 square meals a day is way overrated...why not let them eat cake, cookies and candy all day every day? Why read a book, play a card or board game, wiffleball, basketball, ride a bike when...Red Bull driven video games 24/7 is such a healthy option? Keep them playing hockey 5 days a week 12 months a year so they can get drafted at the top of round 1...what could ever go wrong?

YouCementHead
ASB
Anon
My little bendarino doesn\'t stop skating all year. he is 9 and doesn\'t want to. why would I discourage that. He know baseball is for Home Moes and would rather stick handle in the basement and hang out with his squadron and play tournaments and do skills. If your little Bieber was good at math and excelled would you tell him to take a break and stop and go do some crafts? That is the equivalent of what you are saying.
I think what people are sayin is there is a benefit when the parent is also the adult in the relationship. Sure street hockey is more fun than school so...why make them go to school? Hey 3 square meals a day is way overrated...why not let them eat cake, cookies and candy all day every day? Why read a book, play a card or board game, wiffleball, basketball, ride a bike when...Red Bull driven video games 24/7 is such a healthy option? Keep them playing hockey 5 days a week 12 months a year so they can get drafted at the top of round 1...what could ever go wrong?
Street hockey vs. school? Reading a book vs. Red Bull driven video games? I must be a cement head, because I don't understand where you are going with this post. It's a simple discussion. If kids want to play hockey during the spring and summer, should parents let them or not? Try to keep a neutral perspective..... don't let the fact that your kid is three years of extra ice behind some other stud that's his age get in your way. Matthews/Mcdavid/Marner/etc all played 7 days a week 365 days a year. Nothing went wrong

anon
YouCementHead
ASB
Anon
My little bendarino doesn\\\'t stop skating all year. he is 9 and doesn\\\'t want to. why would I discourage that. He know baseball is for Home Moes and would rather stick handle in the basement and hang out with his squadron and play tournaments and do skills. If your little Bieber was good at math and excelled would you tell him to take a break and stop and go do some crafts? That is the equivalent of what you are saying.
Street hockey vs. school? Reading a book vs. Red Bull driven video games? I must be a cement head, because I don't understand where you are going with this post. It's a simple discussion. If kids want to play hockey during the spring and summer, should parents let them or not? Try to keep a neutral perspective..... don't let the fact that your kid is three years of extra ice behind some other stud that's his age get in your way. Matthews/Mcdavid/Marner/etc all played 7 days a week 365 days a year. Nothing went wrong
You just compared your precious bender to Matthews, McDavid, Marner? I’m begging you...please be the adult in the relationship or at least get some help!!

MakingMyPoint
anon
YouCementHead
ASB
Anon
My little bendarino doesn\\\\\\\'t stop skating all year. he is 9 and doesn\\\\\\\'t want to. why would I discourage that. He know baseball is for Home Moes and would rather stick handle in the basement and hang out with his squadron and play tournaments and do skills. If your little Bieber was good at math and excelled would you tell him to take a break and stop and go do some crafts? That is the equivalent of what you are saying.
Street hockey vs. school? Reading a book vs. Red Bull driven video games? I must be a cement head, because I don\'t understand where you are going with this post. It\'s a simple discussion. If kids want to play hockey during the spring and summer, should parents let them or not? Try to keep a neutral perspective..... don\'t let the fact that your kid is three years of extra ice behind some other stud that\'s his age get in your way. Matthews/Mcdavid/Marner/etc all played 7 days a week 365 days a year. Nothing went wrong
You just compared your precious bender to Matthews, McDavid, Marner? I’m begging you...please be the adult in the relationship or at least get some help!!
Comparing my bender to them? I was giving examples of well known guys that found success playing constantly after someone else said playing 12 months a year would most certainly end badly. 90+% of the players that found success at the highest levels had two things going for them, passion for their sport and "crazy" parents that were willing to feed said passion.

The only people that knock these parents are sour/average ones. I'm sure they're jealous of their successful friends, co-workers, neighbors and in-laws too. No stable person would come on here to preach to other parents about how they raise their children. Get a life.

Have you ever heard of mind your own business? If the other people on the team want to play year round, great! Their kids will be better for it and make your team better. I guess if you fear that they will get better and thereby your kid gets cut then that’s your problem. My college D1 athlete took off weeks not months. My second D3 athlete took off months. If you want to compete at the highest level, it is a fact of life. If your kid wants to play in high school and is happy with that, take off months! No one is telling you what to do, stop trying to influence others to stop working toward their goals.

Anon
Have you ever heard of mind your own business? If the other people on the team want to play year round, great! Their kids will be better for it and make your team better. I guess if you fear that they will get better and thereby your kid gets cut then that’s your problem. My college D1 athlete took off weeks not months. My second D3 athlete took off months. If you want to compete at the highest level, it is a fact of life. If your kid wants to play in high school and is happy with that, take off months! No one is telling you what to do, stop trying to influence others to stop working toward their goals.
Tiny balls tiny balls. Anyone who says mind your own business has tiny balls

Anon
MYOFB. Why do you care Karen?

Anon
Would you say the same thing if your kid wanted to hit the golf course every weekend all year round and compete in junior tournaments? Or how about hit the driving range for an hour a day all year and then putt for an hour and then go get burgers and milkshakes? I mean if they actually want to play and practice there's literally no downside, I don't get the case against doing it. How do you burn out doing little kids hockey? The only thing burning out are wallets and automobiles.

https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard.408583903

ex-college athlete here with whole college-athlete family. Seen a million kids burn out bc the parents push them , criticize them and force them to do x, y and z. If the kid wants to do spring/summer/night/morning/roller blading/shots in the driveway, support them. If they don't, support that. Burnout doesn't come from the athlete's desire for more.

Ex-College athlete and coach for over 30 kids who have played college hockey. You are correct that burnout does not come from desire but I can confirm that often the players who are playing year round and do not focus solely on another sport for a few months a year usually fail athletically at some point when they are 16-18. It’s not to say that the players who have taken USA Hockey or any other national approach will not fail, but the ones who do generally will be the better athletes at 18-24. My personal opinion is that players under 12 should play for 7-9 months a year and play a secondary sport for 2-3 months. At 16-18 I think it’s ok for them choose just hockey and play for 10-11 months but I still believe they should incorporate other sports into their training.

The spring stuff is almost 100% parent driven especially with younger kids. The stories of little Johnny begging to get back on the ice or dearly missing his teammates is a fantasy parents push to justify sticking their kid into 10 more weeks of mindless drills and games most kids don’t really want to be at. I was guilty of it too for a couple of years and could see my kid going through the motions. Finally gave him a break and let him play lax outdoors and he went on to be a much better player and anxious to get back on the ice mid to late summer. Spring hockey activities are mostly money grabs.

Anon
The spring stuff is almost 100% parent driven especially with younger kids. The stories of little Johnny begging to get back on the ice or dearly missing his teammates is a fantasy parents push to justify sticking their kid into 10 more weeks of mindless drills and games most kids don’t really want to be at. I was guilty of it too for a couple of years and could see my kid going through the motions. Finally gave him a break and let him play lax outdoors and he went on to be a much better player and anxious to get back on the ice mid to late summer. Spring hockey activities are mostly money grabs.
Kids are different, as so many people have pointed out.

When my kid was younger, I had to do the opposite - tamp down on hockey in the spring to encourage him to do other things like play lax or baseball.

Money grabs lol. Love all you idiots putting a price on your kids happiness. What is not a money grab? I like capitalism. Kids who play baseball lax and soccer grow up and eventually on a drunken night they ended up receiving another man and finding out who they really are. I’ll keep my kid on the ice.

ASB
Money grabs lol. Love all you idiots putting a price on your kids happiness. What is not a money grab? I like capitalism. Kids who play baseball lax and soccer grow up and eventually on a drunken night they ended up receiving another man and finding out who they really are. I’ll keep my kid on the ice.
You love the word idiot. ASB = Small Nuts

ASB
It’s going to be as real surprise when your kid comes up short in HS tryouts to the hockey/baseball/lax kids who are just better all around athletes. People will have to social distance from you to avoid being spit on as you rant and rail how unjust it all is.

Anon
ASB
It’s going to be as real surprise when your kid comes up short in HS tryouts to the hockey/baseball/lax kids who are just better all around athletes. People will have to social distance from you to avoid being spit on as you rant and rail how unjust it all is.
Are you on Ketamine ?

ASB
Anon
ASB
Are you on Ketamine ?
Dude, you’re the one who thinks all soccer/lax/baseball players are in the closet. Maybe you should tell me what you’re on to think like that?