Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Freshman hockey

So with that many kids trying out how many tryouts are their ?
Do they narrow the pool down after say the second one?
Or due they just have 3-4 tryouts and pick the team from what they manage to see ...
talking freshman team here ..
I know that their may be 1-2 kids that get picked for varsity from the pool but unless they are top end they would barely see any ice during games... a few more may make the j v team 4-6, that would leave say 53-55 kids ( if their were 60) for freshman team 2 goalies, 11-12 forwards and 7-8 D,
Pretty difficult to evaluate that many players, especially when it’s a free for all with kids trying to skate end to end, not pass and so on ...
- would it be wise to send an email or two introducing your self ( kid) that he’s planning on going their with some basic questions ...
just to be able to put a name with the face ?
-

Anon
So with that many kids trying out how many tryouts are their ?
Do they narrow the pool down after say the second one?
Or due they just have 3-4 tryouts and pick the team from what they manage to see ...
talking freshman team here ..
I know that their may be 1-2 kids that get picked for varsity from the pool but unless they are top end they would barely see any ice during games... a few more may make the j v team 4-6, that would leave say 53-55 kids ( if their were 60) for freshman team 2 goalies, 11-12 forwards and 7-8 D,
Pretty difficult to evaluate that many players, especially when it’s a free for all with kids trying to skate end to end, not pass and so on ...
- would it be wise to send an email or two introducing your self ( kid) that he’s planning on going their with some basic questions ...
just to be able to put a name with the face ?
-
Hate to say this but they go with who they know. Freshman and JV coaches and their assistants are often times volunteer dads. The same dads that were volunteer dad coaches for club teams at one time or another. It really isn't that hard to determine the kids that can play and those that can't. Out of those 55-60 kids there will be many that just simply can't keep up, the town only kids. People really need to stop listening to the older crowd still touting the "HS coach doesn't care where you played". He most certainly does, and he knows the difference between a Town B bender, the PHL elite, and an EHF elite. Majority of them are coaching split season teams in the EHF Midget or Selects Divisions or someone on their coaching staff is. None of this matter though because it is only the top varsity 6/4 that get minutes, and I mean the lion's share of the minutes. When you sign your kid up for one of these schools keep that in mind, at some point is my kid going to be top 6/4 out of the sometimes 80 kids (fr,jv,var) playing hockey at this school. If not, don't worry about it.

At BCH, the freshmen don’t typically play JV. It’s Varsity for the select few, and the rest play on the Freshmen team. Always can be an exception, but the JV is almost exclusively sophomores and juniors. The pyramid only gets smaller. This is the brutal year because it really becomes a numbers game that is all about the openings and depth on Varsity. Others expressed taking some joy in it, but that final tryout was the worst night of the year for me. It is a very abrupt ending for some kids and good hockey players get cut. My son made it through and was fortunate to have walked away with a couple of Super 8’s. But he had some good friends (and their parents) who would’ve killed for that experience and that was tough to navigate. As far as the tryouts, I think each school handles it their on way. For BCH Freshmen it was usually 3 days, some kids moving up and down to see how they did against higher competition. There were always a lot of evaluators on the ice but I agree that it’s truly difficult to stand out in those settings. I’ll let others talk about whether you should talk to/email the coach. For what it’s worth, I never spoke a word to him until we were already into my son’s first varsity season. Even then it was never more than a hello or small talk around the rink that he initiated.

my son is entering d1 public at very competitive team. i do hear of 50-60 kids trying out even for our team. most of the freshman are picked before tryouts, maybe a few are later picked based on a strong showing, depends on depth of upperclassman . i would imagine CC kids playing varsity are negotiated before they commit to the school, rest are competing for Freshman/JV and are going because they want a private school education, right?

Exact same experience with SJP. Had friends who's kids played Islanders elite, top warriors teams not make varsity junior year. They played very well on Freshman and JV(as sophomores) teams, only to get cut due to numbers and covid screwing up the year. Sometimes it the luck of the numbers, how many spots for certain positions at the right time.

Next years freshman team at my sons CC school is 75% picked already. And the year after that (next years 8th graders) is also 75% picked as many kids are repeating 8th grade (2007's staying back). My bender is already committed to the team, has already skated with them, multiple discussions with F,JV, & V coaches. And yes, he played EHF Elite.

Anon
Next years freshman team at my sons CC school is 75% picked already. And the year after that (next years 8th graders) is also 75% picked as many kids are repeating 8th grade (2007's staying back). My bender is already committed to the team, has already skated with them, multiple discussions with F,JV, & V coaches. And yes, he played EHF Elite.
Repeating the 8th grade is just pure stupidity... all for MIAA hockey... some of you parents are losing your mind...

Mt Saint Charles grabbbing ny kids

Our kid repeated 8th grade and it turned out to be one of the best decisions for him, though not one to be taken lightly. Multi-sport athlete. Wasn’t just for sports, but hockey was a piece of it. Excelled as a student-athlete.

Schools are reaching out earlier, 7th/8th grader's because they want the more skilled kids/parents thinking of a private school education before they make the decision to go U14/15/ Jr hockey etc.route.

Jump at it if you dont think your kid is a 1 percenter, which they more than likely are not.

At better programs and certainly for most serious D-I h.s. teams the reason why more underclassmen don't make varsity as a 9th grader is size. The 'stay back a year' CC programs have 19 year old men (and yes, sometimes 20 year old men) playing hockey and the idea of putting most 14 year olds on the ice with them is pretty dumb.

Talked with a coach on this and he acknowledged the JV team is often a 'holding pen' for these kids until they grow.

Just went through this with my 9th grader at at D1 CC school. Have to say this is the most factual post on this board in a long time. Most have covered all the pertinent info. You didn't mention you're looking for tips but incase you are here are some of what I noticed.

- Tryouts were filmed
- Coaches do their home work. I found out just last week that a coach had reached out to my sons club team coach for feedback
- They will project out where they feel your son will fit in, so character hard work all matters
- Most coaches run skills or involved with coaching fall/spring/summer team. Find out which ones and attend or try and get involved
- Most teams have off ice training EPS for us, start going

As crazy at it seems, there is contact being made to 7th graders who fit the right profile, which is, upper level elite (top 10 percent), bigger and stronger than average, and a young 7th grader. I.E. their birthday is 2nd half of year versus first half. The idea being he/she will only be 17 when they graduate in May, so if they need to red shirt him/ her, no harm, no foul, they will be 18 when they grad.

I know there’s a lot of discussion about the repeat years, and it certainly does happen, but I’m still not sure it’s as frequent (at least at BCH) as people may believe. Just my experience and I appreciate others might have seen something different, but the repeat year was more common when an underclassman left BCH for a prep school. Even then it wasn’t always the case. My son stayed with his grade and roughly 60-70% of the varsity seniors he graduated with were also teammates on the 7th grade team. The rest came in directly to the high school in 9th grade. Perhaps some of those 9th grade entrants were repeating, but I never noticed a huge dispersion in birth years and it wasn’t talked about among the parents. The Post Graduate year or playing Juniors seemed to be the more common path for those hoping to play beyond high school. Also, transfers happen, both in and out. I can’t even count the number of goalies I saw come in and out of tryouts over the 6 years we were involved.

CCParent
I know there’s a lot of discussion about the repeat years, and it certainly does happen, but I’m still not sure it’s as frequent (at least at BCH) as people may believe. Just my experience and I appreciate others might have seen something different, but the repeat year was more common when an underclassman left BCH for a prep school. Even then it wasn’t always the case. My son stayed with his grade and roughly 60-70% of the varsity seniors he graduated with were also teammates on the 7th grade team. The rest came in directly to the high school in 9th grade. Perhaps some of those 9th grade entrants were repeating, but I never noticed a huge dispersion in birth years and it wasn’t talked about among the parents. The Post Graduate year or playing Juniors seemed to be the more common path for those hoping to play beyond high school. Also, transfers happen, both in and out. I can’t even count the number of goalies I saw come in and out of tryouts over the 6 years we were involved.
It's a combo of kids repeating a year and also kids with late birth years. For example, the incoming freshman class should be mainly 07s this year but at many of the CC schools and top D1 schools the majority of freshman will be late birth year 06s and repeat 06s. It's just another factor parents need to consider as they likely are evaluating their kid vs his peers in his age group when in HS it's really about several age groups and they shouldn't be surprised if the freshman team 06s outnumber the 07s and you can even sprinkle in some late year 05s, who were held back in Kindergarten, at certain schools.