Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What team to play on?

It's obvious your player has some skill as a squirt and as long as he has a good coach and team around him at Tier 1, he will still develop and probably get more ice on the Tier 1 team. To be on the bottom of a roster of an elite team only helps when you can brag on the Dboard, buy some team gear or want to brag to parents with zero going on in their own lives wishing their kid had the same ability.
When he gets to high school, it's a lock/safe bet that the coach will never ask or care that your son played on an elite team in the Fed or on the team below it. What he will want to see is that your kid has the fundamentals to play the game at the next level - end of story.

Anon
Go with the elite team! Your kid will have better competition in games and more importantly will be likely stuck on tier one team. Harder to get on elite team in every subsequent year. Do it now.
I used to be in the "better coach" camp, but my mind is slowly changing to "take elite while you can". Here's why: the older your kid gets, the more solidified the elite teams' rosters are. People crowd the tryouts. Everyone has a connection to the coaches. Let's say your kid develops with the "better coach" into an elite player. You can't get onto an elite team because your kid has to be *better than* the current elite players on the team in order for the coach to decide to drop one of the known kids/families for your unknown kid/family. If your kid is only equally as good as the elite players, then why would a coach risk ruining a good-enough set of families and kids to swap in a new kid of comparable level? If your goal is just to have an elite set of skills (but no elite team to play with) then sure, go the "better coach" route, but if you want to play as part of an elite team, get on the bus while you can. You may not have a choice later.

Anon
Anon
Go with the elite team! Your kid will have better competition in games and more importantly will be likely stuck on tier one team. Harder to get on elite team in every subsequent year. Do it now.
I used to be in the "better coach" camp, but my mind is slowly changing to "take elite while you can". Here's why: the older your kid gets, the more solidified the elite teams' rosters are. People crowd the tryouts. Everyone has a connection to the coaches. Let's say your kid develops with the "better coach" into an elite player. You can't get onto an elite team because your kid has to be *better than* the current elite players on the team in order for the coach to decide to drop one of the known kids/families for your unknown kid/family. If your kid is only equally as good as the elite players, then why would a coach risk ruining a good-enough set of families and kids to swap in a new kid of comparable level? If your goal is just to have an elite set of skills (but no elite team to play with) then sure, go the "better coach" route, but if you want to play as part of an elite team, get on the bus while you can. You may not have a choice later.
and with few exceptions it doesn’t matter when you get to the U 14/U15 level. Look where all the talent is playing. Not in the EHF Elite. Soon, it doesn’t matter.

CluelessMom
Sorry but I am clueless and need help with decision. Squirt aged son signed with Eastern Hockey Federation Tier One Team but the Elite coach asked us to play with them instead. We have already seen a few of the elite practices but like the Tier One practices and team much better. Am I doing my son disservice by not allowing him to play Elite? Also, is it considered rude to turn down the Elite coach?
What kind of panties are you wearing

Anon
CluelessMom
Sorry but I am clueless and need help with decision. Squirt aged son signed with Eastern Hockey Federation Tier One Team but the Elite coach asked us to play with them instead. We have already seen a few of the elite practices but like the Tier One practices and team much better. Am I doing my son disservice by not allowing him to play Elite? Also, is it considered rude to turn down the Elite coach?
This guy get its. The question isn't whether or not your son should be playing Tier 1 or Elite. The question is... are you a Tier 1 mom or an Elite mom? Are we talking 2 year old granny panties under those frumpy Walmart leggings, or a tight fresh thong gripping your toned under carriage under some lululemons? My guess is the latter... Elite coaches can smell Elite meat curtains a mile away.

anon
Anon
CluelessMom
This guy get its. The question isn't whether or not your son should be playing Tier 1 or Elite. The question is... are you a Tier 1 mom or an Elite mom? Are we talking 2 year old granny panties under those frumpy Walmart leggings, or a tight fresh thong gripping your toned under carriage under some lululemons? My guess is the latter... Elite coaches can smell Elite meat curtains a mile away.
B-Rad I thought you said you were retiring?

anon
Anon
CluelessMom
Be careful! Frequently all the time and money is spent on renovations roof, siding and front porch to improve curb appeal...only to find that the curtains are old and worn out with a musty smell.

anon
Anon
CluelessMom
Be careful! Frequently all the time and money is spent on renovations to the roof, siding and front porch to improve curb appeal...only to find that the curtains are old and worn out with a musty smell.

Go with the elite team. This way he can talk about how he played elite hockey during his youth while playing in his beer league at 26