Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lessons learned

Daddies are too dumb to realize my lousy bender fumbling a play does nothing for their bender. If they had a brain they would want teammates that are better than their kid.

Hard facts
Daddies are too dumb to realize my lousy bender fumbling a play does nothing for their bender. If they had a brain they would want teammates that are better than their kid.
Absolutely. This is 100% the case for a true coach. If the coach puts in the time to help the teammates to make the team better for their son to get better, that’s a win.

Abomb
Our bender is headed into high school in the fall.....here are a few lessons learned from mites leading up to U14 (and please add your tips to the list):
1. No one cares about developing your kid on the ice, that’s up to you to decide how much $$ you want to spend on them and if they even care enough
2. Do they even care enough? Is this your dream or theirs (trust me, this will make a huge difference as time marches on)
3. Parents you meet on your kids teams are great to grab a drink with...but when push comes to shove, they are not your friends
4. Advocate for your kid ALL THE TIME, meaning make sure he’s available to play town league, scrimmages, tournaments....the more the better
5. And in the beginning of all of this - make sure your kid is coachable. That one is entirely up to you...bad mouthing coaches, even the ****ty ones, gets your kid no where
6. Oh, and if your kid is on the bubble (not the best three players but not the worse three players on any given team) he better work his ass off....

The more the better is a lie.

Not necessary for me to write my resume but I have some experience at this. My input here. Points numbers 1 and 2. As a parent, if you didn’t construct the pathway to development starting at mite level and you left it up to everyone else, you failed! And I am not talking about one and done skills sessions or Flavor of the month camps. . Show me the kids, starting at mite level, that had continuity and consistency in their extra curricular skills and skating developing and inevitably those kids will be the most improved. Cant stress this enough, the key condiment to the success recipe is, does the kid want it and does he work hard at it when participating? If not, it’s a waste of time and money!

Point 3 is BS, the parents you have a beer with and are friends with have no bearing on the road to success for your skater. If you think they do, then your recipe for success is spoiled and misguided. You are the captain of your kids ship!

Point 4, absolutely advocate for your kid. But sort out the clutter and noise. Reach out to others you trust, that have some experience going thru the process. Reach out to his coaches for direction and hopefully these are the coaches that have worked with and know your kid for a few seasons.

Point 5, you should give your kid’s coaches the leeway to interact with and be frank with your kid and even yourself. A verbal kick in the butt every now and then can move a mountain. And a pat on the helmet can spark an explosion.

Point 6 should be the obvious but it is not. If your kid doesn’t absolutely look forward to being on the ice and working his butt off, then no one else is going to make him do it. The fire is either there or not. Don’t get me wrong, everyone has a bad day, week or even month. But that is why it helps having coaches and advisors familiar with your kid, so you can sort thru those rough stretches. Conversely, when your kid is doing the right things, that positive reinforcement needs to be there too!

Anon
Not necessary for me to write my resume but I have some experience at this. My input here. Points numbers 1 and 2. As a parent, if you didn’t construct the pathway to development starting at mite level and you left it up to everyone else, you failed! And I am not talking about one and done skills sessions or Flavor of the month camps. . Show me the kids, starting at mite level, that had continuity and consistency in their extra curricular skills and skating developing and inevitably those kids will be the most improved. Cant stress this enough, the key condiment to the success recipe is, does the kid want it and does he work hard at it when participating? If not, it’s a waste of time and money!

Point 3 is BS, the parents you have a beer with and are friends with have no bearing on the road to success for your skater. If you think they do, then your recipe for success is spoiled and misguided. You are the captain of your kids ship!

Point 4, absolutely advocate for your kid. But sort out the clutter and noise. Reach out to others you trust, that have some experience going thru the process. Reach out to his coaches for direction and hopefully these are the coaches that have worked with and know your kid for a few seasons.

Point 5, you should give your kid’s coaches the leeway to interact with and be frank with your kid and even yourself. A verbal kick in the butt every now and then can move a mountain. And a pat on the helmet can spark an explosion.

Point 6 should be the obvious but it is not. If your kid doesn’t absolutely look forward to being on the ice and working his butt off, then no one else is going to make him do it. The fire is either there or not. Don’t get me wrong, everyone has a bad day, week or even month. But that is why it helps having coaches and advisors familiar with your kid, so you can sort thru those rough stretches. Conversely, when your kid is doing the right things, that positive reinforcement needs to be there too!
THANKS GILLIGAN 🤣🤣🤣