The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How much hockey is beneficial to a u12 player?

Hilarious

Not sure about the u12 age bracket but at u8 parents really need to understand that its about the amount of reps over the year, not about the quality. Go to the rink 6 days a week for about 46-48 weeks a year from mites to bantam and you should have yourself a prep type of player by age 15 or 16. Its facts that need to be spread on here. Not lies!

AidansDad
Not sure about the u12 age bracket but at u8 parents really need to understand that its about the amount of reps over the year, not about the quality. Go to the rink 6 days a week for about 46-48 weeks a year from mites to bantam and you should have yourself a prep type of player by age 15 or 16. Its facts that need to be spread on here. Not lies!
Exactly. And if you want to get drafted by 18, you need to up that to 8 days a week for about 63 weeks a year.

anon
AidansDad
Exactly. And if you want to get drafted by 18, you need to up that to 8 days a week for about 63 weeks a year.
Even this doesn't feel like enough. Lol

My son just loves hockey. Every time I ask him if he wants to skate he says yes! 12 months a year. What am I suppose to do, tell him to play another sport? Last time we tried lacrosse all his coach did was yell at him so we will never do that again.

AidansDad
I found a supplemental team for my kid. Purple Thunder Elite out of Braintree. They don't over do it. Every week we get a couple one hour sessions and around 30 tourney games a year. Once they turn 12 I think it goes up to 50 tourney games. Good price too.

That’s a good amount. I would layer in one additional day w a fig skate for edges. That will round him out

Anon
That’s a good amount. I would layer in one additional day w a fig skate for edges. That will round him out
Another daddy who deosn't get it. Everything in this post is on point except for this. Hockey players don't ever skate like figure skaters in a game. They don't even wear the same kind of skates. But you go ahead and sign your bender up for that so there's more space available at the hockey skills sessions.

Anon
Also one practice a week while wearing shinguards on his arms is a must

Avon
Is it beneficial that my little guy is going to a skating clinic tonight, skills session tomorrow, defensive specific camp on Wednesday, Friday we will hit up the skating treadmill to warm up for his 3 vs 3 that night, Saturday we managed to find a scrimmage and Sunday we have 2 skill sessions lined up. By beneficial I mean will this routine make sure he gets looked at by a few prep coaches? Its not that Im worried he is not good enough, its more that we\'re worried that his teammates will jump ahead of him (We all know they are skating 6 days a week.) In all honesty, I dont know why his full season team (2-3 practices a week, 60+ games, runs September through March) just doesn\'t commit to their players year round and offer much more. My oldest son only skated 4-5 days a week, 11 months out of the year and he was just a very average CT public high school player. Really want to do right for my last hockey player :(
What no morning workouts with a trainer followed by a nutritionist?