email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep of HS

Anon
Do these prep coaches really attend these low level showcases Sounds like another money grab lol. My son has had two offers and has not attended one showcase
An offer from the coach or from the school after you have gone through the application process and financial aid?

Two different things. In most cases, the coach with tell you what you want to hear. After the application process and financial aid the school will tell you reality. Good or bad.

Remember this, for prep schools most of the time the application process is more about finding out if you can pay; not whether your kid can get into the school or not.

Anon
Anon
Do these prep coaches really attend these low level showcases Sounds like another money grab lol. My son has had two offers and has not attended one showcase
An offer from the coach or from the school after you have gone through the application process and financial aid?

Two different things. In most cases, the coach with tell you what you want to hear. After the application process and financial aid the school will tell you reality. Good or bad.

Remember this, for prep schools most of the time the application process is more about finding out if you can pay; not whether your kid can get into the school or not.
Spot on...its all about the loot...these schools are not non-profits...

Anon
Anon

BS

FA offices at these preps spit out a number given to them by an algorithm based on your financials. If you push back on their number backed by facts and documents they adjust their number. Finally, if a coach of a given varsity sport, or an administrator/counselor/teacher is intrigued by what your kid can offer the school athletically, academically, or culturally they will give you a final grant number. They give millions of dollars per year in grant money thanks to their huge endowments. When you consider these schools have relatively small student bodies, the average family gets a decent amount of FA. Usually around $30K-$40K. But for the higher institutions (in the ISL specifically), your bender has to be admitted academically first and foremost. Lastly, due to Canada's strict covid mandates, a lot of Canadians have enrolled into NE Preps this cycle. So good luck trying to make an ISL hockey roster this coming season.

Anon
Did your son get a full scholarship to Doofus Academy, your alma mater?

Anon
your son has had two offers. to attend a school and pay 60k? I'm sure the coach really wants him. have fun taking out a second mortgage to play on the 4th line at middlesex !

The prep coaches will be there. It's a double dip weekend. They get paid by the school and the org putting on the event. It's a cool grand, plus expenses, to schmooze with the daddios of future NHL'ers.

This sums it up...

There are invitees and show ups at all these so called "exposure events". The invitees will be red flagged and may be given slotted appointments with the well connected coaches long before they step on the ice.

If your Bender hasn't been contacted by March then you are a show up. Not meant to be demeaning just volunteering my experience. It's still worth the 400 bills."

I can’t imagine going to money grab showcases to pay to attend a boarding school. Especially with the schools that typically attend. It’s like you’re going out of your way to chase the slam pig who would come over with a 3am text but you’re choosing to wine and dine. And I’m sure some of you have sons who are more than capable of drawing that interest in season. To each their own I guess.

Its worth the 4 Bill's for the bragging rights at the Tiki bar over at the yacht club. Plus, without show ups it's not as profitable. So please donate soon.

I have to laugh at these dances and check writing only to see top public players sticking it to these super stars in summer tournament play. Somedays the only difference is the stickers on the helmets!