email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hockey Parent Buy In Needs To Be Better

ES
Starting to understand this whole hockey thing :) I ask my 11 year old every chance I get if he wants to play hockey. It may be as simple as "Do you want to go to so and so's skill clinic next week" or "Do you want to play in a tournament next weekend." The answer is always yes! I dont care if he gets burnt out in January like some dumb dads post on here suggest. The point of playing a sport is to be great and I know the more he plays the greater he will be. All you parents who disagree are just not bought in to the sport. You think you know more because you may have played. Elite tournaments are easy to get into. All I do is email the team and pay them. You all could be doing it too. Expose your kids to Elite hockey in the spring and summer and he will dominate his league in September. Trust me.

“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” Saint Augustine
If you believe drop in group skills and "elite" hockey tournaments are going to make your kid great, you will be very disappointed in few years.

anon
ES
Starting to understand this whole hockey thing :) I ask my 11 year old every chance I get if he wants to play hockey. It may be as simple as "Do you want to go to so and so's skill clinic next week" or "Do you want to play in a tournament next weekend." The answer is always yes! I dont care if he gets burnt out in January like some dumb dads post on here suggest. The point of playing a sport is to be great and I know the more he plays the greater he will be. All you parents who disagree are just not bought in to the sport. You think you know more because you may have played. Elite tournaments are easy to get into. All I do is email the team and pay them. You all could be doing it too. Expose your kids to Elite hockey in the spring and summer and he will dominate his league in September. Trust me.

“He who denies the existence of God, has some reason for wishing that God did not exist.” Saint Augustine
If you believe drop in group skills and "elite" hockey tournaments are going to make your kid great, you will be very disappointed in few years.
If not skills and competition; What’s in the secret sauce then?

The secret sauce...ah, I have the recipe.

1.if your glider has the inclination and the athletic ability, get him on the ice for as many hours as he can. It doesn't matter what type of skills, just let him skate. This is an addition to his hockey org skills.If you cant skate, ya can't play!
2. Get him into a program/Org that has a minimum of 3 skills/practices a week. Again, skate, skate, skate!
3. Spring/summer. Enroll him into some full day camps, 2 to 3 hours minimum on the ice, 2 to 3 off ice. Again, skate,skate,skate!
4. Spring/summer, some tournies, jamborees, again, skate, skate, skate.

Use the tournies and league games as a measuring stick on what areas need improvement and to judge lil willy's competitive nature and temperament.

You can tweak the sauce as needed.

Secret sauce.

It's only been told to one other so be careful.

1. Snort the white magical powder whenever you are around the team or the parents.
2. Bang as many mothers on the team as possible regardless of marital status.
3. Move your kid to as many elite teams as possible, Do not concern yourself with the drive.
4 Most importantly, Spend your life savings on summer hockey.

Anonymous
Secret sauce.

It's only been told to one other so be careful.

1. Snort the white magical powder whenever you are around the team or the parents.
2. Bang as many mothers on the team as possible regardless of marital status.
3. Move your kid to as many elite teams as possible, Do not concern yourself with the drive.
4 Most importantly, Spend your life savings on summer hockey.
I'd agree and add 5.). if you don't secure additional financing after blowing all of your life savings, you're a loser.

ES

And this is what is wrong with hockey

if your kid is a good athlete, has desire. i would focus up to 12 on skating and small ice pickup. they should shoot some pucks and stick handle, no need to over do it. also they need to do other sports and take at least a 2-3 month break from skating on ice. muscle overuse injuries/body fatigue are real. After 12 they’re are a lot of different factors including size, athleticism, strength and skill start to become bigger factors. skill gaps become tighter, private coaching and workouts will help.

i would skip tournaments up to bantam, even after that. we never did them in the summer except 1st year bantam , but did do weekly skills 2-3 times. small groups.

focus on skating edge work. when your a freshman with a good chance of making a d1 program, or tracking on a prep varsity your in good shape.

Some of you are going to be so ****** when your 16 year old starts drinking with friends and or finds out that girls are way more fun than hockey. I don't care how elite your kid is, the first girl that let's him get his hands on her will make him forget what hockey even is.

But hey, go for it, give him all the hockey can get. I'm sure all those experts who say that much hockey or any one sport for an 11 year old is insane are wrong.

15? Yeah, needs to commit, on ice, off ice, video, all of it.

Anon
Some of you are going to be so ****** when your 16 year old starts drinking with friends and or finds out that girls are way more fun than hockey. I don't care how elite your kid is, the first girl that let's him get his hands on her will make him forget what hockey even is.

But hey, go for it, give him all the hockey can get. I'm sure all those experts who say that much hockey or any one sport for an 11 year old is insane are wrong.

15? Yeah, needs to commit, on ice, off ice, video, all of it.
Train em young. You can have a nice girl waiting and down a few beers after the games.

Dude never played hockey in hs. Girls like going to watch their boyfriends play hockey. Then go out after the game. Pile on the skills before they get the girlfriends.