Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Little guys

There was a kid who is 15-16 now who people were calling a shoe in for the NTDP his whole life and he banging the 4th line on a half azz junior team now. No prep offers. He never grew.

I looked at a picture at the rink the other day of my kid's 05 Fed Elite Team and as far as I know roughly 60% still play. Some hockey was a 2nd sport for them.

I am just hoping now that my bender is 13 and there is some contact allowed, that the amount of penalties per game will be reduced. Someone give me hope! Last couple of years the over-under per game was 13/14 for two teams. Will coaches still be screaming and crying every time one of their booboo’s falls down? Please, please give me hope!

Don’t hold your breath ! My bender just wrapped up bantam minor, fed, granted first few months no contact allowed cause of Covid but after ... fooorgeeetabout it ! Penalties were called for everything , usually matching ones also .. 5-7 penalties at least a period some games .. boarding,
charging , interference , holding , ELBOWS, retaliation penalties just keeps on going ..
some perfectly executed checks( hip, or perfect angles to the boards ) called penalties .. Still a lot of size penalties being called were parents start flipping out cause junior got taken out ... and yes the small guys second half of season had a hard time ...

Size matters but speed kills. USA hockey Mag 5/13, Team USA “average” size 6’1” 187. Read elsewhere, Average Team USA speed, using the NHL speed drill, close to 14.5, fastest skater alive, Connor Mc 13.25. D Men have faster blue line to blue line, on backwards/forward drills, than many Pro’s. Which means they are lightening in two step short spurts and skating backwards. Bottom line, your Bender will stand out if he is quick, big and fast!

Your bender will stand out if he is quick, big, fast, strong, smart, has great hockey sense, good vision, a blistering accurate shot, and ankle breaking dangles. The small slow weak dumb kids eventually fall behind. It's why nearly all the parents on the dboard stop commenting after peewees.

Anon
Your bender will stand out if he is quick, big, fast, strong, smart, has great hockey sense, good vision, a blistering accurate shot, and ankle breaking dangles. The small slow weak dumb kids eventually fall behind. It's why nearly all the parents on the dboard stop commenting after peewees.
It's why nearly all the parents on the dboard stop commenting after peewees.

Bingo..

Also, let's not forget the flip side of the coin the kids at squirts playing for second teams or that were not considered elite that have now bypassed everyone.

How big was the kid who just won the Hobey Baker?

small fry
How big was the kid who just won the Hobey Baker?
5'7 160.

These guys don't get it. The 80's are gone man. You can either play or you can not play. Size is almost irrelevant these days.

I had kids on my pee wee teams that were 5'7 160.

The big kids move up or get noticed a little earlier and the small guys have to wait to impress. But what does it matter if everyone is 6'1 and 190 if the 5'7 kids can play with them and the size isn't an equalizer ?

Dads, here you go -

https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard.407554943