email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skate sharpening

anon

If he doesn't know how to use his edges, profile is just a waste.

I have 4 rings at home and I'll make all of them common denominator for ease.

3/4 = 12/16
5/8 = 10/16
1/2 = 8/16
3/8 = 6/16

The closer to 16/16 (1”) the closer the hollow is to a goalie cut.
My goalie gets 10/16 and 12/16.

My 09 5'3" 125# uses 8/16" in the summer or on soft ice. On winter or hard ice he might go to a 6/16". But that's only if he's expecting to be unusually aggressive, with a lot of cutbacks. So, depends on ice and skating style/competition. But, while he's a good skater and is often commended "for his edges", his skating coach doesn't think so and tells him to just stick with the 1/2". Keep the edges clean, learn to use them. As a previous poster said, the difference between 9/16" and 8/16" is negligible. A lot of it is psychological.
Please, all good players know 5/8 cut is the way to go.

Anybody use the flat bottom v; what’s the experience been?

Anon
Anybody use the flat bottom v; what’s the experience been?
Excellent but lose edge quickly. One little Nic and the blade is done.

In da know
anon

If he doesn\'t know how to use his edges, profile is just a waste.

I have 4 rings at home and I\'ll make all of them common denominator for ease.

3/4 = 12/16
5/8 = 10/16
1/2 = 8/16
3/8 = 6/16

The closer to 16/16 (1”) the closer the hollow is to a goalie cut.
My goalie gets 10/16 and 12/16.

My 09 5\'3\" 125# uses 8/16\" in the summer or on soft ice. On winter or hard ice he might go to a 6/16\". But that\'s only if he\'s expecting to be unusually aggressive, with a lot of cutbacks. So, depends on ice and skating style/competition. But, while he\'s a good skater and is often commended \"for his edges\", his skating coach doesn\'t think so and tells him to just stick with the 1/2\". Keep the edges clean, learn to use them. As a previous poster said, the difference between 9/16\" and 8/16\" is negligible. A lot of it is psychological.
Please, all good players know 5/8 cut is the way to go.
Ok cap'n

I think the Flying V is the way to go.

If you're cutting a goalie skate more than 1/2 welcome to 2021 and go back to 50+ mens league or town hockey. Whoops can't say that anymore! Goalies are all lateral movement now. Lateral movement and strong pushes need sharp cuts. I go 7/16 and will go to 3/8 once my guy eats something and it actually sticks to him. Why do goalies need glide? Triple lindys inbetween periods?

If your player is still on 1/2 to 9/16 he’s a bender. Go back to town.

why do small dick dads find this insult "go back to town hockey" so satisfying. Sad lives

It’s true though. Unless your kid is a mite or a tiny squirt, he/she shouldn’t be skating on 1/2 inch. You’re doing the kid more harm then good. It’s like keeping training wheels on a bicycle and asking your kid to go compete in a bike race.

Anon
It’s true though. Unless your kid is a mite or a tiny squirt, he/she shouldn’t be skating on 1/2 inch. You’re doing the kid more harm then good. It’s like keeping training wheels on a bicycle and asking your kid to go compete in a bike race.
Ovechkin 1/2
Crosby 1/2
Bergeron 1/2

Yup, they're on training wheels for sure! must be an EHF Dad.

Majority of NHL and all players are 1/2 or 5/8.

1" if you want more speed and less sharp turns.

3/8 if you like more bite and more sharp turns.

You could not be more wrong here. Bergeron is well over 1" for his sharpening. In fact, the person on the Bruins with the deepest hollow is Marchand at 5/8". At least do your research before you start to type things.

Anon
You could not be more wrong here. Bergeron is well over 1" for his sharpening. In fact, the person on the Bruins with the deepest hollow is Marchand at 5/8". At least do your research before you start to type things.
Did you check out the ccm video for pure hockey with Bergeron. He literally say 1/2. You good now?

anon
Anon
You could not be more wrong here. Bergeron is well over 1\\\" for his sharpening. In fact, the person on the Bruins with the deepest hollow is Marchand at 5/8\\\". At least do your research before you start to type things.
Did you check out the ccm video for pure hockey with Bergeron. He literally say 1/2. You good now?
I mean you can believe a video, or you could believe me that literally asked the team equipment manager what the guys on the team use. You good now super dad?

Yeah, he has a reason to lie about his hollow? Now your connected to the sharpener of the Bs and come on here to brag lol. 1/2 or 5/8ths is most common and that was the discussion. There is a reason for that if you ever skated. 1"s and 3/8ths etc are outliers. Keep your Fed stud on 1" as he does figure 8's and can't cut back. But, you can say he has the same edges as Bergeron to your fellow tool bag Dads. No super dad here, just one who has a clue.

list of penguins profiles from a number of years ago...

https://www.facebook.com/HockeyArmor/photos/we-found-an-interesting-chart-that-shows-the-individual-players-skate-sharpening/10153891128486730/

My kid plays on a very solid to high end 07 team. I’d say barely any of the kids on his team skate on a 1/2”. Most are 3/4” or 3/8 , 1/2’s are for the kids who bring their skates to pure hockey for a sharpening.

I’m sure your duster is still skating stock steel as well.

Toolbag
My kid plays on a very solid to high end 07 team. I’d say barely any of the kids on his team skate on a 1/2”. Most are 3/4” or 3/8 , 1/2’s are for the kids who bring their skates to pure hockey for a sharpening.

I’m sure your duster is still skating stock steel as well.
Wow.

This thread should be discussed on the rink shrinks. Freakin psychos.

Anon
When do you go from 1/2 inch sharp to 9/16 and why? Skater is defense and 2007 130 lbs and 5’7”.
99.9 percent of kids in mass can barely cross over as their autistic dads have them playing summer hockey like bozos instead of learning to skate properly. Shut up —- you’re trying to sound smart and none of this applies to your kid 😂