Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 08 Checking Shamrock Tournament

Not only do the "big" kids that can't skate have to adjust or go back to being mediocre, the top players have to adjust also . On my sons team last year 07 there was no checking allowed due to covid. After the rules went back to normal their was a lot of hitting just like the previous poster stated and then going back to somewhat normal. The top kids ( skaters) on his team were a little slower going into corners, or dumping the puck in a little quicker. Hitting has an effect on everyone even if they are not getting lit up the thought of it affects them. Some of the top kids fell down a peg or two and the kids that were a little slower but still have the I Q bumped up or even surpassed the top kids through out a games and season becoming an all around better and more consistent player.

My little 6ft muppet will be bodying all the little tiny benders
Hahaha . It’s time size and speed domination

Have you read through the USA hockey rule changes that are coming? How about the recommendations for the next rule change year. Jr hockey not included in these changes.

Already approved for 2021-2025 seasons
1. 624(b)Icing the PuckProhibits all Youth levels of play to legally ice the puck during shorthanded situations. Only exceptions are High School and Adult classifications.

2. 630(d)Offside Eliminates tag-up offside at all Youth levels of play. Immediate offside is now applied at all levels except High School and Adult classifications.

3. GlossaryAge ClassificationsRemoves description of each age group (i.e. Squirt) and adds in 15 Only Tier I age classification.

Discussion for next rule year

1. Checking prohibited outside of high school hockey

No, I am not making this up.

Original Abc
Have you read through the USA hockey rule changes that are coming? How about the recommendations for the next rule change year. Jr hockey not included in these changes.

1. 624(b)Icing the PuckProhibits all Youth levels of play to legally ice the puck during shorthanded situations. Only exceptions are High School and Adult classifications.

2. 630(d)Offside Eliminates tag-up offside at all Youth levels of play. Immediate offside is now applied at all levels except High School and Adult classifications.

3. GlossaryAge ClassificationsRemoves description of each age group (i.e. Squirt) and adds in 15 Only Tier I age classification.

I think the rules stink but also not surprised by any of them.

Original Abc

Currently, delayed offsides is permitted at U14. Now it's not going to be allowed this coming season? Am I reading that correctly?

Adding to the discussion for next year along with getting rid of body checking is:
No slap shots until high school
High sticking will result in a 4 minute penalty

Anon
Adding to the discussion for next year along with getting rid of body checking is:
How about this, and I quote from the 2021-2025 rule change summary:
"Adds new Glossary definition for “Late Body Check” and is defined as: A
late check is when a player delivering the check has an opportunity to avoid
contact, or minimize contact, once it is realized the opponent no longer has
control of the puck. The concept of “finishing the check” is an unacceptable action as it is one
that is meant to intimidate or punish the opponent with no intent, or
possibility, to gain possession of the puck. The responsibility is on the player
delivering the check to avoid forceful contact (minimize impact) to a
vulnerable or defenseless player who is no longer in control of the puck."

Anon
Anon
How about this, and I quote from the 2021-2025 rule change summary:
"Adds new Glossary definition for “Late Body Check” and is defined as: A
late check is when a player delivering the check has an opportunity to avoid
contact, or minimize contact, once it is realized the opponent no longer has
control of the puck. The concept of “finishing the check” is an unacceptable action as it is one
that is meant to intimidate or punish the opponent with no intent, or
possibility, to gain possession of the puck. The responsibility is on the player
delivering the check to avoid forceful contact (minimize impact) to a
vulnerable or defenseless player who is no longer in control of the puck."
My teams will be finishing their checks. Perfectly fine with taking penalties while preparing players for high school.

What laugher if a AA tourney