The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EHF alternate question

Mite Major dad here. My son got offered an EHF elite full time contract but we wanted him to play another year with town program. The EHF team now wants him as alternate. I know he can’t play in playoffs and only can play 15 games but do most alternates pay half price? Or is the total number negotiable?

Re: EHF alternate question

Alt always get half price or less deal and it varies by situation and team. It always benefits the alternate financially meaning they always pay less per hour of ice than the full time players. I believe all EHF teams allow alternates full practice schedule but only up to 14 games. No Alternate can play in playoffs.

10 or 14 game max???

Just refer to the EHF website where there is a link to the rule book. Also do not hesitate to look at the organization website where there is a rule book link as well.

Alternate is a great deal in my experience, especially if you plan on doing town still. I would also ask your coach how he determines what 15 games your kid will play in...if he tries to pick them ahead of time, goes week by week, or maybe even lets you pick the games. I'm not sure if there is a way most teams do it but my buddy's kid was an alternate on our team last year and he would get a call Thursday/Friday telling him if his kid was playing that weekend which can be tough for planning.

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at someone talking about alternate "contracts" for and 8 year old.

Website doesn’t mention anything

I don’t think the EHF publishes the rule book anymore on line. I looked for it once and couldn’t find it. I wound up emailing the EHF folks.

Once you play 15 games you are no longer an "alternate" should be close to half price with the offer to practice with the team as much as possible. Usually a great deal and exposure to the program (and more importantly the coach).

Does the EHF check into the game limits for mite?

My kid was an alternate once upon a time (EHF Elite for you trolls). We paid 1/2 price. Welcome at all practices that he could play in up to 15 games (# of games is not guaranteed and is up to the coach). Somewhere in someone's mind about the rules, I was told: If you play the 16th game the team has to offer you a spot on the team the following year (no idea if this is true or not - strictly hearsay). And at any time you can decide with the organizations permission that you want to be a full time player, no longer an alternate, and then your child can participate in the playoffs (we were given this option at no additional charge). That and if any absolute loser is counting games your child plays in(as a mite or squirt or peewee) and what you paid and if you were/are an alternate... they need a better life and ignore them.

Alternating is not for the team. It is for you and your child. Make really sure you like the team, its concepts, THE COACH and your kid is having fun. There are a lot of S-heads in youth hockey. Find a Coach that cares for all the kids not just their own. That coach might be a bit of a unicorn, but they are out there.

Anon
My kid was an alternate once upon a time (EHF Elite for you trolls). We paid 1/2 price. Welcome at all practices that he could play in up to 15 games (# of games is not guaranteed and is up to the coach). Somewhere in someone's mind about the rules, I was told: If you play the 16th game the team has to offer you a spot on the team the following year (no idea if this is true or not - strictly hearsay). And at any time you can decide with the organizations permission that you want to be a full time player, no longer an alternate, and then your child can participate in the playoffs (we were given this option at no additional charge). That and if any absolute loser is counting games your child plays in(as a mite or squirt or peewee) and what you paid and if you were/are an alternate... they need a better life and ignore them.

Alternating is not for the team. It is for you and your child. Make really sure you like the team, its concepts, THE COACH and your kid is having fun. There are a lot of S-heads in youth hockey. Find a Coach that cares for all the kids not just their own. That coach might be a bit of a unicorn, but they are out there.
This is well said. My kid was an alternate for a nonelite ehf program. The 15 game thing is a ceiling, not a promise. It’s there to protect the organization from revolt from the parents paying full price for the full time deal. Yes, it might have some competitive value for the other teams in the league too, but any alternate who can make a difference will be offered a full roster spot early in the year.
Being an alternate can be great for skill development and exposure to a program from within. But the kid has to understand that he/she is not really a team member and very well will face some obstacles fitting in.