The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brick Team Tryouts

Not looking for a discussion around whether this team is just a money grab or whether it is already set. Generally more just curious how these tryouts work. I see they have a number of dates and say that everyone trying out will play in multiple games for the tryout. Do they do a series of full ice 5v5 games, or is it something like 3v3? In looking at Brick series tournaments, I see multiple Jr Bruins teams listed. Are the tryouts essentially for all of those teams in the sense that they may field 2 or 3 teams (national, elite, gold, black, white, etc.)? So do the top 15 or so make the Brick team, and then 16-30 on the second team, so on and so forth? Do kids that play on this team also play on regular EHF/E9 teams as well?

Re: Brick Team Tryouts

Bro,save your money. If they want you they will be in touch. Everyone else is just an atm card to fund the whole deal.

If the player is a top player they will find you. That includes HS and beyond

When my son did them it was a full-ice 5 on 5 scrimmages. There was a quick warm-up (5-7 minutes) but no formal skills component, just scrimmaging. I believe it was 90 second buzzers with full line changes.

The fastest, most aggressive kids stand-out in these types of tryouts. That seems to be what they are looking for. If your kid doesn't fit this mold I would not bother, just my opinion. This is a more in-depth review I read before brining my son, http://www.rutschhockey.com/review_jrbruins-training-camp.php

I partially disagree with the others that if your good enough they will find you. That is 100% true as the kids get older but not as much at the mite and squirt level, especially if your kid does not play at the elite level where these coaches may have seem him play. That being said, I don't think there is a kid on the team that doesn't already play at the elite level in the EHF or E9.

For the 2013's there are two teams - the National Elite and the Elite. It could vary by age group, not sure about that. The top kids go to Nat'l Elite and next best go to the Elite. The talent drop from the two teams is significant and most, if not all of the kids play EHF or E9 in addition to Jr. Bruins. Jr. Bruins are a tournament team so they don't have a regular season like your club teams and the schedule is designed so they don't overlap with the club teams.

Go to YouTube and type in "Jr Bruins" and you will find videos of the tryouts and games so you can see style and level of talent.

Sorry, copied the wrong link for the tryout article. Here is correct one: http://www.rutschhockey.com/review_jrbruins-tryouts.php

Anon
Sorry, copied the wrong link for the tryout article. Here is correct one: http://www.rutschhockey.com/review_jrbruins-tryouts.php
Quite a site you put together for your kids. How did you get somebody to bang you 3 times ?

This is helpful, thank you. So it seems as though you really need to be playing for one of their teams before the Brick year (thinking 2012 in this case). I assume most of the kids who make that team already are on a Jr Bruins team and then in the Brick year they just create a new Brick team, and maybe bring in another kid or two from elsewhere.

Then anyone who doesn't make that team could possibly make on of the other teams. It looks like though in many of the Brick Series tournaments (Boston, Vegas, Chicago, etc.) there are multiple Jr Bruins teams. So do all of these teams pretty much go to these tournaments, and then the only difference is Brick year there is a separate team for just that tournament?

I suppose it could vary from year to year but in general I would say your right - the Brick team is comprised of kids who have already been playing for them. If your kid is a top talent on an elite level team I would say he has a shot so just because he hasn't been on the Jr. Bruins team in the past shouldn't be a deciding factor. The bottom line is that these coaches want the best team they can get.

Also correct, it you don't make the National Elite team (Brick team) you could still make the Elite team. Not sure the particulars of the travel and how they decide which teams go. If you decided to tryout they should be able to give you a better idea on that. It seems the National Elite team travels more but it probably varies from tournament to tournament.

Good luck either way.

Anon
I suppose it could vary from year to year but in general I would say your right - the Brick team is comprised of kids who have already been playing for them. If your kid is a top talent on an elite level team I would say he has a shot so just because he hasn\'t been on the Jr. Bruins team in the past shouldn\'t be a deciding factor. The bottom line is that these coaches want the best team they can get.

Also correct, it you don\'t make the National Elite team (Brick team) you could still make the Elite team. Not sure the particulars of the travel and how they decide which teams go. If you decided to tryout they should be able to give you a better idea on that. It seems the National Elite team travels more but it probably varies from tournament to tournament.

Good luck either way.
Interesting. Thanks. I see at the 2012 for the Boston Showdown they had 3 teams in there. A National Elite Black, National Elite Gold, and then Elite. Maybe they just split the National Elite kids between two teams, and then the tryouts will be those kids all trying to make a single Brick team.

Jr Bruins
Not looking for a discussion around whether this team is just a money grab or whether it is already set. Generally more just curious how these tryouts work. I see they have a number of dates and say that everyone trying out will play in multiple games for the tryout. Do they do a series of full ice 5v5 games, or is it something like 3v3? In looking at Brick series tournaments, I see multiple Jr Bruins teams listed. Are the tryouts essentially for all of those teams in the sense that they may field 2 or 3 teams (national, elite, gold, black, white, etc.)? So do the top 15 or so make the Brick team, and then 16-30 on the second team, so on and so forth? Do kids that play on this team also play on regular EHF/E9 teams as well?
Do your kid a favor and run, don't walk, as far away from all this crap as fast as you can. The fact that you're reading about it and indulging in it says you're already halfway down the wrong path.