Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: elite vs platinum

We are talking about a 10 yr old here. So much is going to change here about who is "elite" by the time they are 14-16-18. Just wait. Rarely is the top kid at 10 the top kid at 14 and so on. Forget about positions and game time (both loser statements from an over ambitious parent) and go after the coach and number of PRACTICE hours/times per week. The coach will keep him engaged and focusing on the right skills at the right time - which should be mostly skating at that age. The practice time is WAY more valuable than all the "elite and platinum" games. That is where development happens most.

Anon
We are talking about a 10 yr old here. So much is going to change here about who is "elite" by the time they are 14-16-18. Just wait. Rarely is the top kid at 10 the top kid at 14 and so on. Forget about positions and game time (both loser statements from an over ambitious parent) and go after the coach and number of PRACTICE hours/times per week. The coach will keep him engaged and focusing on the right skills at the right time - which should be mostly skating at that age. The practice time is WAY more valuable than all the "elite and platinum" games. That is where development happens most.
It's been said many times before - no high school/higher level coach cares what position or what league your bender played before, only whether or not they can play hockey. If his team needs a D, and your bender can only play C or W, is he going to say no, sorry coach, I don't want to play for your team because I only play D, or is he going to jump at the chance to play wherever the coach wants? That opportunity will be given to players that coaches think have the most skill/vision/ability to play the game, not just a position.

I'd take a team where my bender gets to play a regular shift and has opportunities to move around (or at least practice all sides of the game in practices) over a set role before they hit Bantam age.

I love hearing dads say "my kid is a center, I can just see it" or "he just needs to play D, he's not fast enough to play F" all before the kid hits puberty. Hahahahahahahaha, nope, none of the above.

anon
I have a 2011 kid on a platinum team plus alternate for a different elite team. He is currently the first line center on his team and getting plenty of ice time (20+ minutes per game?) and he's happy with it. On the elite team he's JAG. Keeps up at practice; plays solid defense but doesn't stand out at all offensively. If he was on that team, I'd say they'd play him as a 3rd line forward. He hasn't played any games with the elite team (and may not get any) so this is purely hypothetical, but if he had the opportunity to play full time next year, is it better for his development to play 1st line center on a platinum team, or 3rd line wing on an elite team? Both coaches are good and the teammates are fine.
Every EHF “Elite” coach will look to upgrade his weaker players at the end of each season. That typically means 3rd line forwards and bottom 2 D are possibly on the chopping block every season. So, not considering anything about the respective coaches ability to develop players, if you’re comfortable possibly looking for a new team after year 1 then maybe you go elite and get lucky.

I chased the “Elite” tag at this age. It was a good learning experience but if I did it over again I would have done it differently.

He will need to make the jump at a certain point if he wants to climb the hockey ladder. And it is unlikely that he will play on the top line of a good elite team right away if you keep him on a platinum team. Have him play on a team where he will be pushed to get better. You have to follow the process but not rush it.