The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Score Sheet

I have been hearing a lot of conversations lately about the score sheet. I keep hearing how parents noticed a coach is giving assists to kids (their own mostly) who didn’t factor in the play and so on. I heard this very topic on the Rink Shrinks podcast as well and it seems to be something that is causing parents to be ****ed off with their kids coach is “chiseling” points for the little bender at other kids expense. My kid is a 2nd year bantam player, plays on a good team not the top 5 but a good team and in all of my years of hockey I have never seen a score sheet before. I thought it was a thing that they gave to the ref for league scores and that is it. None of the teams he has ever pla*** on has listed stats or post anything about the game stats ever. How in the world are parents seeing these score sheets and doesn’t it make you the crazy one if you are seeking them out? You watched the game you know how your kid pla***. Do you really need verification from a score sheet kept by a 12 year old kid half paying attention to a game?

Re: Score Sheet

Relax Francis
I have been hearing a lot of conversations lately about the score sheet. I keep hearing how parents noticed a coach is giving assists to kids (their own mostly) who didn’t factor in the play and so on. I heard this very topic on the Rink Shrinks podcast as well and it seems to be something that is causing parents to be ****ed off with their kids coach is “chiseling” points for the little bender at other kids expense. My kid is a 2nd year bantam player, plays on a good team not the top 5 but a good team and in all of my years of hockey I have never seen a score sheet before. I thought it was a thing that they gave to the ref for league scores and that is it. None of the teams he has ever pla*** on has listed stats or post anything about the game stats ever. How in the world are parents seeing these score sheets and doesn’t it make you the crazy one if you are seeking them out? You watched the game you know how your kid pla***. Do you really need verification from a score sheet kept by a 12 year old kid half paying attention to a game?
This is because your kid doesn't play high level hockey. The top U14-U18 T1 NB teams all keep track of stats and most of them post the stats and roster cards on social media, twitter, instagram etc. The majority of the complaints you see in recent posts the past couple of months are in regards to a well known CC HS coach who also coaches at a top midget program. His kid pretty much gets an assist for every goal scored which rubs the parents of all these ***ure NHL'ers the wrong way, especially when video evidence shows he never touched the puck. You're right about not seeing the game sheet, those aren't posted, these are the stats the teams keep and post themselves so it's easy for coaches to pile on secondary, tertiary, etc assists to boost certain players points.

Since game sheets are uploaded and saved, if there really is a question about it they can complain to the league and have it verified. It’s not hard. Games are on LB and saved for 30 days.

Complaints are one thing. If there really is an issue bring it forward to get looked into. Otherwise, It’s just complaining.

You think there is a Beast or EHF Selects representative that wants to hear score sheet complaints regarding points? Or gives a crap? You're a dummy. And good luck getting in touch with anyone at the HS level that wants to hear it. It is what it is.

Interesting topic. Yes, at the high school level the score sheets are routinely 'goosed' to bump some kid's numbers up. The coaches kid mysteriously leads the team in assists, it's a common trick the H.S. daddy coaches use.

I noticed an interesting one on my son's H.S. team. One player whose dad was a big player in the NHL had a couple disastrous seasons on the high school team (D-1, perennial Super 8 school). The kid was BAD, skate all over the ice defensemen thinking he could do more than he could, not playing defense, passes get picked off, taking penalties, a real minus player . . the whole enchilada. Statistically the worse defensemen the team has had in more than ten years but because the kid was a legacy kid the coaches, with stars in their eyes rolled him out there for a regular shift.

Kid gets ready to leave the H.S. team to go prep for his junior season and all of a sudden in 'Elite Prospects' database his numbers magically appear pumped up from what the team had listed in the team's official yearbook / stat sheet. Did Dad step-in and give them the false numbers? How is this possible?

The age old saying in hockey, "Legacy kids to the front of the line" rang true!

They are also goosed at the junior level as well. I know of a GM who yelled at a junior player between periods of a game and told the player he ways tired of doctoring score sheets and website stats for him. Little did the coach know, the entire dressing room was quiet listening to the GM berate the player outside the locker room door.

Ye bet your a-s-s the stats are doctored. All done to get at your wallet.

Uh, *that* Dad who has to take over the score sheet duty every weekend to make sure his kid gets on the points list even if he didn't get a goal or asst because most no one else actually gives a s*it to verify or call him on it? Or the Dad that insists his kid did get the point then does onto LB and texts the coach all day demanding the sheet gets changed so Johnny gets his point that weekend? So tiresome and definitely not getting that Dad any points. Think the kids don't know who scored? Think the coach doesn't know who's scoring? Think that Dad is getting that kid ahead? Go ahead and tell the next group of parents at the skills sessions a couple of months when he is scouting yet another team how point-loaded your boy is. No one will believe you, coach won't believe you, and your kid won't be able to produce. He's a 3rd line B-player at best. And that's why they care about mani****ting the score sheet: ego.

Boy, I feel bad for that kid when he tells daddy he wants to hang up the skates before 12th grade. That'll be a doozy.

Yeah we have a mom and dad on the team who dont inflate but straight out lie on the score sheet and to make things worse they update it on elite prospects. The best part about this is the boys know on the team know

CT O7
Yeah we have a mom and dad on the team who dont inflate but straight out lie on the score sheet and to make things worse they update it on elite prospects. The best part about this is the boys know on the team know
Must be on the 07 Chiefs.

Goalie parents FTW!

Goalie parents are whacked!

You all are clowns.. The coaches have no say on who gets the points. The refs tell the scorekeeper and that's that..Once the game ends the details of the game are already in the cloud.

Anon
You all are clowns.. The coaches have no say on who gets the points. The refs tell the scorekeeper and that's that..Once the game ends the details of the game are already in the cloud.
When Mom and Dad still volunteer to do the clock and score sheet at U14 it’s a problem. And absolutely nothing is stopping Mom and Dad from adding jr’s number to the game sheet for an assist.

Are you seriously that naïve that you think parents ( especially a certain couple in Ct) don’t try to pad their superstars stats.

Well then that is a different issue.. Never seen a parent in the score keep box at any of my games but if they are then sure I can buy that. Again a separate issue there with that.