Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Club hockey and lacrosse

My kid has done both for 5 years and besides the sickening total cost its doable. As you get to high school though it gets impossible to do both at a top club such as Laxachusetts if you are on a top 4 Mass hockey team. Such is youth sports. Long way off for your kid but the college placement for Laxachusetts is beyond impressive and my strong belief is that its a top producing program of any sport for that in the U.S. Probably 80-90 kids playing across four teams in each age group and they include a couple multi-sport or other sport commits in their totals...

2012 Recruiting Class, 60 total college commits, 24 of them are Division 1 recruits
2013 Recruiting Class, 61 total college commits, 28 of them are Division 1 recruits
2014 Recruiting Class, 64 total college commits, 23 of them are Division 1 recruits
2015 Recruiting Class, 68 total college commits, 32 of them are Division 1 recruits
2016 Recruiting Class, 64 total college commits, 33 of them are Division 1 recruits
2017 Recruiting Class, 64 total college commits, 26 of them are Division 1 recruits
2018 Recruiting Class, 68 total college commits, 32 of them are Division 1 recruits
2019 Recruiting Class, 67 total college commits, 31 of them are Division 1 recruits
2020 Recruiting Class, 76 total college commits, 30 of them are Division 1 recruits
2021 Recruiting Class, 65 total college commits, 23 of them are Division 1 recruits
2022 Recruiting Class, 63 total college commits, 20 of them are Division 1 recruits
2023 Recruiting Class already has 23 D1 commits

I am calling total BS on those numbers.
Yes, it is a very good program- no arguments there.
But no way 60-70 out of 80-90 across 4 teams in each age group are going to play college lax, with almost half going to play D1.

My 8 year old does both. In the Fall we commit to three tournaments plus one practice for Lax a week. Winter we do the box league with the team and skill sessions throughout the winter. In the Spring it’s 100% Lax (town and club) but we mix in one or two hockey tournaments. Summer back to hockey but will commit to 1 or two Lax tournaments. It’s doable, try to pick a club Lax team that is close to your home. We are about 45 mins away from our club Lax team but I wish it was 10 mins away.

Anon
My 8 year old does both. In the Fall we commit to three tournaments plus one practice for Lax a week. Winter we do the box league with the team and skill sessions throughout the winter. In the Spring it’s 100% Lax (town and club) but we mix in one or two hockey tournaments. Summer back to hockey but will commit to 1 or two Lax tournaments. It’s doable, try to pick a club Lax team that is close to your home. We are about 45 mins away from our club Lax team but I wish it was 10 mins away.
So much for any of your hobbies. LOL

Thanks guys, this is helpful. Have only heard great things about Laxachusetts and the number of college commits is extremely impressive.

Sounds like it's very doable, at least at this age. Biggest thing for us will be cutting back on spring hockey and the tournaments, which I'm quickly realizing are money grabs anyway.

Lax is a better ticket to college athletics.

No two years of Junior hockey, bigger D-1 rosters (45 on the bench) (Hockey roster 30, dress 20), 74 NCAA-sanctioned Division I men's lacrosse teams (Hockey 59), 75 Division II men's lacrosse teams (Hockey 26), and 247 Division III men's lacrosse teams (84 Hockey).

So do the math: 74 D-1 Lax teams X 45 players =3,330 players dress divided by 4 years 832 players coming in each year (really more like 1,000 due to kids quitting and injuries). D2 3,375 players needed; D3 11,115 players needed. . . and outside of the Mid-Atlantic and New England how many kids play H.S. Lax?

So how many kids could be playing NCAA Lax? 3,300 + 3,375 + 11,115 = 17,790. So if your kid is in the top 4,400 kids in the country for his birth year he should be able to play college Lax.

Basically anyone who wants to can play D-3 Lax, if you can run, catch and have marginally better than average athletic ability you're going D-1 somewhere. Compare that to hockey....and oh, you graduate when kids in your hockey year are just basically starting hockey.

Your male kids chances of playing in college are virtually identical for both lax and hockey. Obviously hockey is the way longer path. https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/3/2/estimated-probability-of-competing-in-college-athletics.aspx

For women chances of playing in college hockey 2x lax. https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/3/2/estimated-probability-of-competing-in-college-athletics.aspx

But what % of D1 hockey rosters aren't even Americans? Plus you've got the whole juniors problem. Lax is way better than hockey if you're just talking about path to NCAA.

Perhaps those numbers include club lax as well however the numbers do not seem far fetched when considering there are 74 D1 programs, 75 D2 programs, and 247 D3 programs all of which are carrying 35-45 players. There is 100 more D3 lacrosse programs than all NCAA hockey programs combined.

College club lacrosse teams - The National College Lacrosse League (NCLL) is a men's lacrosse league comprising mostly Eastern US college lacrosse clubs (non-varsity). There are approximately 130 teams divided into 12 conferences.

Re bs numbers: my kid’s club team (different sport) lists all the schools the kids get into even if they’re not playing sports. So most of them did get recruited for their sport but some did not. For example, there were kids who didn’t play in college but still went to umass, bu and Colgate and they listed them all on the website.

What are the numbers for kids who never picked up a lacrosse stick until high school and are playing or played college lax.

That’s where the numbers differ.

I think any decent hockey player can pick up a lax stick in high school and play college.

100% agree. If the kid can run it's no problem

Below is the laxachusetts link with all the schools they are going to. Being objective - the schools on this list are academically really impressive. I know all the kids in my older son's school (a big lax ISL school) and yes that is where they are going and yes they are playing lax. There are four teams in each age group so you can do the math. My younger kid plays for laxachusetts and they have four teams in his age group as well. The bottom level teams have fewer players on them than the top but that is roughly the numbers by the time high school rolls around. Its not BS - its reality. I don't know what to tell you... Lax is a much easier road. No real money thrown at you though for lax even if you are a stud.

https://www.jrminutemenlax.net/news_article/show/60286

anon
Below is the laxachusetts link with all the schools they are going to. Being objective - the schools on this list are academically really impressive. I know all the kids in my older son's school (a big lax ISL school) and yes that is where they are going and yes they are playing lax. There are four teams in each age group so you can do the math. My younger kid plays for laxachusetts and they have four teams in his age group as well. The bottom level teams have fewer players on them than the top but that is roughly the numbers by the time high school rolls around. Its not BS - its reality. I don't know what to tell you... Lax is a much easier road. No real money thrown at you though for lax even if you are a stud.

https://www.jrminutemenlax.net/news_article/show/60286

I think this list of impressive colleges has more to do with where the kid went to high school- not the club lacrosse program. The 2023 class looks like an ISL all star game roster. There are 4 public school kids on the list and Merrimack scooped up 3. I don't blame Laxachusetts for the effort. Club baseball teams do the same thing. GBG has a college committed column on all their rosters past 15u. Those commitments are decidedly not impressive. The columns are always full for every team but I know most of those kids just go there and don't play baseball.

Excellent thread. Can someone with experience comment on the girls side too? I have a daughter thinking about hockey+lacrosse vs hockey+soccer. Which pairing makes more sense for girls?

Anon
Excellent thread. Can someone with experience comment on the girls side too? I have a daughter thinking about hockey+lacrosse vs hockey+soccer. Which pairing makes more sense for girls?
Omg this is another insightful thread :yum: No matter what youth sport your child plays just make sure you demand excellence!!!!!! Put the little ones in club anything and watch them grow. Like really, its not even a debate. Repeat after me DBoarders - "ALL THIS TIME AND MONEY SPENT ON YOUTH SPORTS WILL BE WORTH IT WHEN THE D1 SCHOLARSHIP OR PROFESSIONAL TEAM COMES KNOCKING AT THE DOOR"

I have a 12 year old boy playing LXC and E9 hockey. We manage to do both but I understand this gets way more difficult in high school.

LXC winter skills are their biggest selling point and are very flexible. Multiple locations most nights of the week so you can work around hockey. These are all on their website. My son doesn't do the optional Box Lacrosse winter options.

Spring season is once a week on Saturdays. Doesn't clash with Town lax.

Summer is all about tournaments and you can decide how many you want to do, but every weekend after Memorial Day through to end of July, excluding 4th of July weekend. 6 tournaments for the top teams with only a couple of practices in the summer. If you don't do the tournaments, that's fine but what's point of doing all the rest if you don't play at least a few?

Fall is optional.

Overall it works well. If you play for some of the other club teams (3d, Littlenecks) practices/skills in the winter can be a set day so it's a coin toss if it clashes or not. If you like summer hockey tournaments then probably not a good fit.

9 yr olds thinking about d1 scholarships is funny.