email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Club hockey and lacrosse

anon
Below is the laxachusetts link with all the schools they are going to. Being objective - the schools on this list are academically really impressive. I know all the kids in my older son's school (a big lax ISL school) and yes that is where they are going and yes they are playing lax. There are four teams in each age group so you can do the math. My younger kid plays for laxachusetts and they have four teams in his age group as well. The bottom level teams have fewer players on them than the top but that is roughly the numbers by the time high school rolls around. Its not BS - its reality. I don't know what to tell you... Lax is a much easier road. No real money thrown at you though for lax even if you are a stud.

https://www.jrminutemenlax.net/news_article/show/60286

I think this list of impressive colleges has more to do with where the kid went to high school- not the club lacrosse program. The 2023 class looks like an ISL all star game roster. There are 4 public school kids on the list and Merrimack scooped up 3. I don't blame Laxachusetts for the effort. Club baseball teams do the same thing. GBG has a college committed column on all their rosters past 15u. Those commitments are decidedly not impressive. The columns are always full for every team but I know most of those kids just go there and don't play baseball.

Excellent thread. Can someone with experience comment on the girls side too? I have a daughter thinking about hockey+lacrosse vs hockey+soccer. Which pairing makes more sense for girls?

Anon
Excellent thread. Can someone with experience comment on the girls side too? I have a daughter thinking about hockey+lacrosse vs hockey+soccer. Which pairing makes more sense for girls?
Omg this is another insightful thread :yum: No matter what youth sport your child plays just make sure you demand excellence!!!!!! Put the little ones in club anything and watch them grow. Like really, its not even a debate. Repeat after me DBoarders - "ALL THIS TIME AND MONEY SPENT ON YOUTH SPORTS WILL BE WORTH IT WHEN THE D1 SCHOLARSHIP OR PROFESSIONAL TEAM COMES KNOCKING AT THE DOOR"

I have a 12 year old boy playing LXC and E9 hockey. We manage to do both but I understand this gets way more difficult in high school.

LXC winter skills are their biggest selling point and are very flexible. Multiple locations most nights of the week so you can work around hockey. These are all on their website. My son doesn't do the optional Box Lacrosse winter options.

Spring season is once a week on Saturdays. Doesn't clash with Town lax.

Summer is all about tournaments and you can decide how many you want to do, but every weekend after Memorial Day through to end of July, excluding 4th of July weekend. 6 tournaments for the top teams with only a couple of practices in the summer. If you don't do the tournaments, that's fine but what's point of doing all the rest if you don't play at least a few?

Fall is optional.

Overall it works well. If you play for some of the other club teams (3d, Littlenecks) practices/skills in the winter can be a set day so it's a coin toss if it clashes or not. If you like summer hockey tournaments then probably not a good fit.

9 yr olds thinking about d1 scholarships is funny.